The City has nothing better to do?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

I think the bigger issue is the lack of consistency on enforcement. It seems a lot of by-laws are created to satisfy the chattering class but enforcement is rare unless complaints are received.

So are by-laws only enforced when complaints are received or are they enforced on a selective basis. If a by-law officer knowingly walks past something that is an infraction for 6 months then all of a sudden decides today they will enforce the law then is that law valid? Laws are supposed to be black or white, you either are breaking it or you're not.

Selective prosecution would be open to a Charter challenge

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

I am sure so city manager found a way to increase revenues and thus the enforcement.

I spoke to Rob Woodland nearly 3 years ago about the boxes. He said then that they were not allowed, and that they were planing some type of crackdown. I guess that time has now come. Honestly, if the owners had better maintained them, then nobody would likely want a solution.

I also think very poorly of business owners who thing that graffiti on their garbage bins is normal, or OK. If I was them, I'd demand from my garbage pick-er-upper that they fix them.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

^yeah, I recall you mentioning that a while back.

I've seen stupid drunk kids do some wacky things with those boxes -- like throwing them through storefront windows. They're quite good for that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm actually surprised these haven't been regulated until now. So anyone could just plunk down a newspaper box wherever they want?/

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'm actually surprised these haven't been regulated until now. So anyone could just plunk down a newspaper box wherever they want?/

Yes. But I'm guessing if a bunch of Vegas-style prostitution mags showed up, a fix would have come sooner.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Greg Quirt on Facebook

on Thursday, city workers drilled 2 holes. on Friday this is what they did, so I ask, what is the city up to? and if it is a camera it better only look left and right of the street and not a 360 to my balcony. this is on herald st, I see another on douglas in front of beehive wool... anyone?

1901749_10152300495281251_28221072046550

#27 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Greg Quirt on Faceboo

This is just a guess... maybe they are changing the lights over to LED.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

This is just a guess... maybe they are changing the lights over to LED.

Would they need new wiring, you'd think the current head has more then enough power.

#29 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

The wiring looks like coaxial cable, the type use for cameras. The DVBA was to install three thermal sensing cameras to count pedestrian traffic a while ago but not in the area of question.

I'm sure it won't be long until we find out what will be connected. If the lamp standard was to be retrofitted to LED lamps, they would use the existing wiring and they also wouldn't have the conductors outside of the structure.

#30 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Could it be related to the bus lane project?

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

Could it be related to the bus lane project?

Without reference, it's hard to tell where the pole(s) are.  I guess the start of the bus lane will certainly need new signage, perhaps illuminated.

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Without reference, it's hard to tell where the pole(s) are.  

Be careful Holden, will be a bit sensitive about that.   :)

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:24 PM

Can someone please explain why the CoV sent a street sweeper along my block tonight when cars are parked along both sides? They almost never come by during weekdays when parking is limited to one hour in my block and there are far fewer cars. A totally wasted effort. :whyme:

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:44 PM

Maybe only the middle of the street was dirty?

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:55 PM

I can assure that is not the case.

#36 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 02:49 PM

Can someone please explain why the CoV sent a street sweeper along my block tonight when cars are parked along both sides? They almost never come by during weekdays when parking is limited to one hour in my block and there are far fewer cars. A totally wasted effort. :whyme:

Our street rarely sees a street sweeper and I think the "service" is included as a separate item on our utility bill. The street always has cars parked on both sides so nothing is accomplished. Why don't they have something like snow cities do for plowing? Maybe one day every couple of week when you can't park for a few hours. Just for fun, we leave a pile of debris in the road to see how long it sits there. Been there for months now, so they're not even doing the middle bit. We are not on a tiny sidestreet. 

• Nparker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users