The Guild Freehouse | Victoria | Wharf at Yates streets

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

So I can go to the liquor store and buy $50,000 in liquor to take home, no problem.

But somehow I'm a danger to myself or the general public if I order a jug of beer in a restaurant, where other patrons and staff will be observing me?

Honestly, someone just has to take a look at each an every liquor law we have, and ask "what's the point of this one?" and get rid of each one that makes no sense.

I can go up to the bar at the nightclub, and buy $600 in shooters and deliver them back to my table for one guest, or 60.

We have laws against overconsumption, or overservice, or being intoxicated in a licensed place. I don't know why limiting serving sizes just on individual beers makes sense.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

There is enough interest here to start a new thread on the liquor laws in BC. I will start one on the weekend when I have a little more time.

Until then, I think we owe it to the good folks that came to read about the Guild to keep to that topic. Thanks for your support.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

There is enough interest here to start a new thread on the liquor laws in BC. I will start one on the weekend when I have a little more time.

Until then, I think we owe it to the good folks that came to read about the Guild to keep to that topic. Thanks for your support.

Sorry. Anyway, I hope to make it into Guild this weekend, so I'll have a review.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 tbracken

tbracken
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

This blog post cleared up the true pint size debate: http://smallbeerblog...f-victoria.html

He even quotes the Liquor PRimary Guide

Well I'm happy to know that when I've thought I was drinking a 20oz pint I was. Some places in Victoria still think it is illegal to sell a 20oz pint, I've run into with bar staff. Clearly as VicHockeyFan states some of our liquor laws need changing, badly.

#45 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Does The Guild allow and tolerate the presence of tiny humans? Do they take reservations?

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Does The Guild allow and tolerate the presence of tiny humans? Do they take reservations?

YES! I was just there and it was crawling with kids. Good times.

#47 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Lunch at the Guild today, little surprised it was so quiet on a Friday (maybe the "opening" party the night before was a factor?). Welsh Rarebit, Braised Beef on a bun with double Gloucester and homemade HP sauce ($10 and $13 respectively) were very tasty and reasonably priced. The server was friendly and genuine.

We were doing a bit of a pub crawl, so asked for the advertised 3 x 6 oz tasters. Beer was good, but no way were those 6 oz. glasses. They were identical in size to the glass samplers that used to be employed at the GCBF, in other words 4 oz. Cost for the tiny "fleet" was $12 (and you couldn't choose fancy Belgians either). Dollar an ounce seems high, even for a place that pushes the envelope in terms of beer price. Wish I'd had my beer geek emergency kit with me (to confirm the volume in the glass) but that might have spoiled someone's birthday :)

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Ha! Speaking of beer glasses I've been regularly asking waitresses and bartenders what the volume is of their "pints." Some give me a number that I know is legit but some numbers I know are total BS. Half the time the folks don't even know the capacity but claim they're serving a "full pint."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Ha! Speaking of beer glasses I've been regularly asking waitresses and bartenders what the volume is of their "pints." Some give me a number that I know is legit but some numbers I know are total BS. Half the time the folks don't even know the capacity but claim they're serving a "full pint."

we have been serving 20oz pints at Garricks Head for as long as I can remember. the only 16oz pour we have is Pabst, only cause I have some sweet PBR branded mason jars with handles to serve them in.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

I love those jars :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

'Twas ever thus. CAMRA has been working on full disclosure in this area for some time. I think the most you're entitled to is a list of serving sizes. If only this were viewed (as it is in the UK) as a consumer rights issue. Another analogy is getting shorted on a "litre" of gas. Responsible establishments make it clear (on the menu and/or chalkboard) what you're getting. Though as I found out, the chalkboard can be off too :)

And don't get me started on foam. The only way out is lined, oversized glasses. But I doubt I'll see that in my lifetime.

#52 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hoepfully this place suceeds in Vic.

Food very good (mushy peas, who would thought could taste this good).

Great beer selection and yes a little pricey.

Great place.

#53 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

http://phillipsbeer....ts?event_id=230

Anyone going?

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

The website for the restaurant appears to be shut down and calls to the restaurant’s telephone number don’t connect.

The same restaurant was shut down suddenly in August 2018 with a termination notice on the door, only to re-open a short time later.

https://www.saanichn...wtzYJEwnzA-uMuQ

#55 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:13 PM

^They are JUST covering this?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#56 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

^They are JUST covering this?

It only happened yesterday.

Matt.

#57 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Again.

• sdwright.vic likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#58 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

I thought it was different operators this time.

Matt.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:42 AM

It did? I saw the space was listed as closed a couple of days ago.

Know it all.

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:46 AM

if you take time to read the article.  the letter posted on the door is dated mar 7.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2019 - 06:46 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users