Photo

Little Jumbo | Victoria | Fort St.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Liquidrev

Liquidrev
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

I see a lot of chat about my new place opening in the old Indian Curry space. We are doing a few things that some places haven't done in Victoria. We are a full restaurant with a fantastic chef backing it up with great food. We aren't trying to make the same, stupid mistakes that others have made.

Basically we aren't a cocktail bar with food, we are a restaurant with a rounded beverage program. Great food, wine, spirits and cocktails.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

New thread for this much-anticipated opening.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I see a lot of chat about my new place opening in the old Indian Curry space. We are doing a few things that some places haven't done in Victoria. We are a full restaurant with a fantastic chef backing it up with great food. We aren't trying to make the same, stupid mistakes that others have made.

Basically we aren't a cocktail bar with food, we are a restaurant with a rounded beverage program. Great food, wine, spirits and cocktails.

Really? You are "doing a few things that some places haven't done in Victoria"?

Like - "A fantastic chef backing it up with great food". Wine, spirits, cocktails?

And on top of all this you "aren't trying to make the same,stupid mistakes that other have made"!!

Sounds like you are very new to the business. I wish you a lot of luck and look forward to your posting again after you have proven that you are smarter than everyone else.

#4 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

^lol!

Matt.

#5 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

"Basically we aren't a cocktail bar with food, we are a restaurant with a rounded beverage program. Great food, wine, spirits and cocktails."

Thank you for prefacing your sentence with 'basically'. It's helpful for us stupid people when you dumb things down for us. I just can't believe how stupid I've been going to all those other horrible restaurants in town.

#6 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Really? You are "doing a few things that some places haven't done in Victoria"?

Like - "A fantastic chef backing it up with great food". Wine, spirits, cocktails?

And on top of all this you "aren't trying to make the same,stupid mistakes that other have made"!!

Sounds like you are very new to the business. I wish you a lot of luck and look forward to your posting again after you have proven that you are smarter than everyone else.

And people say that Victoria is a tough city to start a business in. Clearly some people don't even want to give a guy a chance.
Pieta VanDyke

#7 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

And people say that Victoria is a tough city to start a business in. Clearly some people don't even want to give a guy a chance.

Not a question of "giving a guy a chance". Its is more the fact of the arrogance protrayed by "the guy" or girl for that matter that rubs me the wrong way.
There is very little new in the restaruant business. He/she is not going to reinvent the wheel. Create great food, price it so that it is affordable, serve it with a smile in a setting that is comfortable and I am sure you will do well. Please don't be so condesending as to say that others that have come before you have made "stupid mistakes". So far you have proved nothing. Lets see you do something spectacular and then you can crow.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Can someone fill me in on what kind of restaurant it is? What kind of food?

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Pretty sure he's going to reinvent the wheel. He has been doing spectacular things for years, there is nothing to prove.

Can't speak for the man but his list of accomplishments and accolades on the international stage precedes him. I would imagine the line up of people looking to invest in this adventure was deep.

Matt.

#10 Liquidrev

Liquidrev
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

Sorry Mysage and everyone else,
I think you have taken everything out of context. I was replying to another thread and then Paul moved it over. I had people mentioning Jellyfish lounge and places running bars out of food primary licenses. Trust me, I am not new to the industry, or opening restaurants or trying to be arrogant.

And Zinkerled, I am more known for my cocktails than my food, so people are assuming it's another cocktail bar on a food primary license instead of a restaurant. Not trying to "dumb" anything down at all.

I was simply replying to another thread and my reply was obviously taken way out of context. Sorry to offend.

Cheers

#11 Liquidrev

Liquidrev
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

Thanks Matt.

#12 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

Sorry Mysage and everyone else,
I think you have taken everything out of context. I was replying to another thread and then Paul moved it over. I had people mentioning Jellyfish lounge and places running bars out of food primary licenses. Trust me, I am not new to the industry, or opening restaurants or trying to be arrogant.

And Zinkerled, I am more known for my cocktails than my food, so people are assuming it's another cocktail bar on a food primary license instead of a restaurant. Not trying to "dumb" anything down at all.

I was simply replying to another thread and my reply was obviously taken way out of context. Sorry to offend.

Cheers

Thanks for the clarity.

Good luck with your venture. Hope you are successful.

#13 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

i heard the new place already was voted best rest. in the universe!
J.
:)
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#14 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Sure the original post was a LITTLE PR-speak, but man those were a couple of majorly dickish replies.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Looking forward to checking this place out :)

Hey Liquid, can you elaborate on the name? Why "Little Jumbo?"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Liquidrev

Liquidrev
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Looking forward to checking this place out :)

Hey Liquid, can you elaborate on the name? Why "Little Jumbo?"

Little Jumbo was a bar/restaurant opened at the turn of the century in Soho, NYC by Harry Johnson who wrote the first cocktail manual in the late 1800's. He decked it out in the finest wares and people told him he was crazy to be setting up in Soho, NY (a pretty industrial area at that time).

It's a bit of a tip your hat to him and what he pioneered. We are also hoping to pack it full of stuff in the 50 seat space to make the guests happy, so a lot of stuff (Jumbo) in a small space (Little).

And there you have it.

#17 Liquidrev

Liquidrev
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Barra, OSJ (I think) & ZGsta

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

Cool. And what sort of food will you be aiming for?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Sure the original post was a LITTLE PR-speak...

HAHA, I thought the same thing. It reminds me of the CBC, who a few years back ran promos for The Tudors that tried to tantalize me into watching "...the show that everyone's talking about!" By everyone, I always assumed that they meant the top brass at the CBC, rather than viewers. Barf.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Can someone fill me in on what kind of restaurant it is? What kind of food?

Well?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users