Photo

Oak Bay Tea Party

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#81 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 12:37 PM

Looks like at least a member of your family was there.  :)

Great to see it was so well attended.

• Nparker likes this

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:10 PM

That’s not from this year.

I just randomly chose an octopus ride photo from the internet for my post above. I have no idea if the picture was taken at any Oak Bay Tea party.

#83 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:11 PM

...Great to see it was so well attended.

Despite the less-than-stellar weather.

#84 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:32 PM

And I will be there shortly if the rain holds off.

The Tea Party and all the apartments near the waterfront are 2 things that would never be approved if proposed today.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#85 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:34 PM

The Empress and the road up to Mt. Tolmie and the Mill Bay Ferry would never be approved today.
  • Nparker likes this

#86 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:39 PM

Despite the less-than-stellar weather.

doesn’t help that Buzz told everyone there was an air show at 2 PM but is not and appears it never was

Wind seems OK for the tea cups

https://www.victoria...h-this-weekend/

#87 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:44 PM

The Empress and the road up to Mt. Tolmie and the Mill Bay Ferry would never be approved today.

Property rights to waterfront properties would never be granted today.

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:44 PM

If the Province owned the Empress it would be torn down for seismic and flooding reasons (translation: colonialism)

#89 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 03:47 PM

Don’t think the tea cups went ahead? Was down there for a bit got bored went on the Zipper

Edited by todd, 05 June 2022 - 03:47 PM.

#90 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 08:16 PM

Congrats on braving the line for the Zipper. I just watched from the ground.

Saw the tea cups upside down in the parking lot. Not sure if they had been used. 

Rain mostly stayed away so I think the Tea Party was another success.

• Nparker likes this

#91 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 08:27 PM

Looks like the president of UVic won the tea cup race. 

https://www.oakbayne...rates-60-years/

• todd likes this

#92 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 09:31 PM

The Tea Party and all the apartments near the waterfront are 2 things that would never be approved if proposed today.

Apartments belonged along the esplanade pretty much from day one, but a few decades later a more enlightened generation decided apartments didn't belong after all.

Daily Colonist
May 29, 1973

"Radical" Stand Made to Keep Beach Flavor

A "radical" rezoning proposal made by Oak Bay Ald. Brian Smith Monday night led to a council decision to draw up a bylaw to rezone the Esplanade area down to single family from its present apartment zoning.

The two blocks adjacent to Willows Park have been the subject of considerable controversy recently with the announcement by Dunn Holdings of plans to build an apartment block in the area.

It is also the area where council has been working to get residents to voluntarily ask for a change from the apartment zoning which has been in effect for about 45 years.

...eight property owners had asked for the down-zoning...

Said (Oak Bay Ald.) Smith: "I am willing to make a radical proposal to you all that we zone these two blocks back to single family..."

• Nparker likes this

#93 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 10:38 PM

Apartments belonged along the esplanade pretty much from day one, but a few decades later a more enlightened generation decided apartments didn't belong after all.

"Radical" Stand Made to Keep Beach Flavor

Bizarre - I think it is the presence of all the apt buildings, around Willows, and farther south near the marina, that give the area the beachy, resort feeling.

• aastra likes this

#94 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:42 AM

Congrats on braving the line for the Zipper. I just watched from the ground.

Hadn’t been on it at the Tea Party since I was 12, think a 12 year old moves more freely around the cage so I was terrified from that point on, also seen them cleaning vomit out of it. Zipper wasn’t the best idea when I gauged the lineup I thought they were running at full capacity turns out only about three cars at a time, guessing the cables aren’t up to full capacity, when I got to the end of the line and sobered up the sign said “no single riders” they said it was for safety reasons if you hit your head against the cage and pass out the other person can alert. Luckily one of the ride attendants wanted to go for a spin and we had an amazing time

Edited by todd, 07 June 2022 - 10:02 AM.

• Nparker and Redd42 like this

#95 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 10:56 AM

I think it is the presence of all the apt buildings, around Willows, and farther south near the marina, that give the area the beachy, resort feeling.

For sure. But I guess people were concerned that Willows Beach was rapidly turning into... Willows Beach. And they didn't want that to happen.

• Nparker likes this

#96 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:05 AM

The Tea Party kicks off on Friday (June 2) when kids and those who are kids at heart can get their wristbands for the rides presented by Shooting Star Amusements. There’s also music, featuring the well-known tribute band, BackBeat.

Saturday (June 3) starts off with a parade, starting at Windsor Park at 10:30 a.m. and winding its way through the community to its final location at Willows Park. The Law Enforcement Torch Run is back, and there’s a pancake breakfast.

But that’s just the start. There’s a full day of events that range from the Lekwungen Traditional Dancers to school bands to old-time rock and roll, courtesy of the Soul Shakers.

Sunday there is another pancake breakfast, of course, rides, music and more to see and experience. The Loyal Nanaimo Bathtub Society will be out to race some pretty funny tubs, skydivers will thrill the crowd as they plummet toward Willows Beach, the teacup challenge will give Oak Bay’s mayor a chance to show off his rowing ability in a six-foot teacup, and so much more.

There’s also a kids’ craft corner throughout the event where the wee ones can explore their creative instincts.

All of this will take place at Willows Park.

https://www.vicnews....8ca11b97212fd9a

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2023 - 05:07 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#97 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 08:30 AM

Lame, looks like no airshow or fireworks.

#98 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:24 AM

As always, a big crowd is expected, she said. “We go anywhere from 10 to 15 thousand, maybe 20,000, depending on the weather,” Germain said. “We don’t charge admission so it’s really hard to gauge how many people come and go.”

Running for over 60 years is an accomplishment, but Germain pointed out that the Tea Party is not alone in its staying power.

“You look at the Saanich Fair, there’s some really long-standing events that have been going on in our area.”

So far, Germain knows of two entrants in the annual spectacle known as the Mayor’s Floating Teacup Race, with Saanich Mayor Dean Murdock challenging Oak Bay’s own Kevin Murdoch.

“I’m not sure if Kevin’s got anybody else in there yet.”

Past participants, other than local mayors, have included former Olympic rower Silken Laumann, Ed Bain from The Q radio station and CHEK TV, and former NHL player Geoff Courtnall.

Tea Party-goers should note that parking restrictions will be in place around Willows Park, so they should consider alternatives like cycling or taking B.C. Transit.

There will be a secure bike-parking facility on site.

https://www.timescol...oak-bay-7087824

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2023 - 04:25 AM.

#99 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:44 AM

Difficult for parking for the handicapped.

#100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:48 AM

Lame, looks like no airshow or fireworks.

Would every previous year have this?

EDIT, yes 2022 had 10pm fireworks on Saturday.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2023 - 04:51 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users