The General Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,076 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

How about sharing some of your travel stories and photos?

Maybe it's a bike trip on the Goose, maybe you have just returned from the North Pole. This is the spot. Enjoy.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,076 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Mrs. Sparky and I like to get out on the boat on the weekends. We just returned from a trip to Otter Bay on North Pender. It's a delightful little Marina, very quiet and peaceful. From there you can walk to the Legion or the food wagon at the ferry terminal. You can also get a ride to the golf course and it's only a couple of minutes in the marina's van.

The Marina.

The golf course.

The food wagon at Otter Bay ferry terminal has been there for over 20 years.

We stopped in at Ganges on the way back and had breakfast at the Treehouse.

We then stopped in at Matt R's restaurant in Fulford, The Rock Salt. We saw the ferry leaving as we arrived which used to mean that the restaurant would not be too busy. Not the case anymore. The joint was hopping busy. I had a bowl of Matt's beef barley soup. Wow. He even took the time to have a chat at our table. Here is the view from our patio table.

A delightful weekend indeed.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Very nice. It's God's playground out there on the waters around Vancouver Island :)

Here's a shot from the Island looking out at Hollydene Park/beach. It's a great spot with little wind when the rest of the beaches are getting hammered by southwesterlies.

• johnk likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,430 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

We love to white water raft so this is a pic of my raft slamming into a rock wall on the Nahatlatch River, a Class 4 tributary of the Fraser River, just above Hell's Gate. That's yours truly on the left at the stern. As I'm 275 pounds I'm typically considered "ballast" on these trips :D

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,430 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Sunrise over the Sea of Cortez from the top floor balcony of our room in San Jose del Cabo, about 20kms along the coast from Cabo San Lucas; taken in October 2012.

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,430 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Mini-miss ASE and me just off Fifth Avenue in Playa del Carmen on the Mayan side of the Yucatan. She would be nearly 12 in this pic from 2009. Love the Mayan!

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

Nice. Both coasts of Mexico are spectacular. I was going to suggest you take a drive to this rustic hot spring about 1.5 hours northeast of Cabo next time you were there but I've been told that the Mexican government stepped in and created a larger concrete pool which they overbuilt and it no longer cycles fast enough. Crying shame...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

February can be a bit dreary in Victoria so we decided to get away for the month.

To happy sunny Kiev!!

It was a bit chilly

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Remind me to never complain about Victoria winters. Ever.

Know it all.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,076 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

^^ Great shots, thank you for that.

#11 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,024 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Mike, never, ever complain about Victoria's scale model winters.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#12 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 2,945 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

February can be a bit dreary in Victoria so we decided to get away for the month.

To happy sunny Kiev!!

It was a bit chilly

In Soviet Russia, temperature takes you!

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,898 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

P1010064 by sebbles1, on Flickr

IMG_1305 by sebbles1, on Flickr

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,430 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

P1010064 by sebbles1, on Flickr

IMG_1305 by sebbles1, on Flickr

Sobering picture Seberry; not sure if yours is the Rockies but here is a shot from 2007 (forget the image date that was a new camera and I hadn't adjusted the internal settings, heh) of the Columbia Glacier just off the Glacier Parkway on the BC-Alta border:

Note the small humps in the middle-center are the tundra buggie-buses taking the (mostly Japanese) tourists up the glacier; and the really_tiny dots in the middle and lower foreground are actually people walking up on their own. Scary image to consider that when the highway was first put through it abutted the glacier itself but the latter has now it has retreated this far up the mountain.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Is it scary though or just a sign of the way things have always been and will always be? I mean that ice wasn't there several thousand years ago and when it appeared it was due to sudden weather changes as well :)

Know it all.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Earlier this year I visited South Africa.

Some of the things I experienced I simply cannot find the words to express and photos offer but a glimpse of what I saw. The country is in terrible shape socially, economically and politically, but that sad reality aside the natural beauty is simply unparalleled. To be honest hardly a day goes by that I do not think back to my visit there and as time passes the more I find myself yearning to return.

Know it all.

#17 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

That last picture is a stunner, Mike. Great shot!
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,898 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Mike, those are beautiful photos!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Glad you like them, guys. That part of the world is stunningly beautiful but given the instability so few have to opportunity to travel there and enjoy it. Now that Mandela is near the end of his life social disorder is expected to get much worse. Shame :-(

Know it all.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,614 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Glad you like them, guys. That part of the world is stunningly beautiful but given the instability so few have to opportunity to travel there and enjoy it. Now that Mandela is near the end of his life social disorder is expected to get much worse. Shame :-(

Had the opportunity to visit there myself 18 months ago. Definitely agree on your statements. The tours we did in Jo-burg showed us a level of poverty in stark contrast to the wealthier areas of the city.
Beautiful country! Loved Cape Town, Kruger Nat'l park, and could easily spend a month there and not get bored.
Of all the places I've been in the world, Africa in general is the one place I want to go back to, though I'm sure our next trip will be further north in Kenya and Tanzania.

Curtis

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.