Photo

The General Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

#181 phx

phx
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:03 PM

Airlines could soon be forced to pay passengers in cash for delays over three hours.

It only applies if the delay was not for safety reasons.

eg: So sorry the flight was overbooked, but it would not have been safe for you to stand in the aisle during the flight.

Edited by phx, 18 December 2018 - 07:04 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#182 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,488 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yes, the fee does not apply to things out of the airlines control (mechanical break down, weather).
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#183 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

From what I understand the fees only apply if you are denied boarding due to overbooking. Nothing stopping the airline from continuing to offer whatever they want for volunteers to give up their seat.

#184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:49 PM

For many passengers that’s like winning the lottery. You can usually negotiate a decent payout and if there’s a hotel at the airport a night for free or heavily discounted. 9/10 the person they want on that flight is paying 10x more than you.

Buddy of mine once purchased a guaranteed boarding pass. Cost a heck of a lot of money but he never had to wait for a flight and just walked on, but on some occasions he required someone to get bumped. I think we even have a VV member who once held a pass that was similar if not the same :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#185 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

I flew for free on 3 different occasions because I voluntarily gave up my seat.

#186 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

Just back from four nights in LA, and what a great trip!!  Weather was terrible for the most part, temps in the mid to high teens and heavy rain. Last day at the park was decent enough, with temps in the mid 20's and sunny the day we left.

We stayed in a nice whole house AirBnB that was also certainly a grow op - the whole place smelled of pot and it seemed to be coming from behind a locked door in the rear of the house.  Didn't bother us one bit, but did seem odd for a rental.  Location was mint, one short block from the beach, access to and from LAX and the Forum via Uber was no sweat.  We took a cab from Swartz to YYJ for about $25, the Uber from LAX to Venice beach was the same, in USD.  Uber from Venice to Universal Studios was $30 on the way out and $50 on the way back, due to traffic, but pleasurable and wonderfully easy to use via the app.  Even getting a ride after the 18,000 people or so were leaving the Forum was a snap - we only needed to cross the street and wait 20 minutes or so.

Lots of great spots for food and drink, walked the Santa Monica pier on a nice evening, spent the time with some good friends and no border problems aside from being stuck on the ground in Seattle for a couple hours while the airline tried to sort out some paperwork with the non-existent FAA - thanks, Trump!!  Alaska found us another place to get on pretty quickly.

The tribute concert was great, so many musicians playing some great songs, truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Matt.

• Mike K., Bob Fugger and GaryRanson like this

#187 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:55 PM

Finally starting to book some apartments for when we are in London, and it looks like we have four nights free at the end of the trip to go somewhere else, perhaps. Any suggestions on where we should hop a train to?

Edinburgh? Brighton? Brussels? We may just end up staying in London but we’re looking at some options.

Matt.

#188 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,797 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

Not going to use up four days of course but the Roman ruins at Bath are well worth a visit, as is a trip anywhere in Wales which is a lovely country. You could always hop a train through the Chunnel for a, ahem...romantic weekend in Paris (assuming you are with Mrs Matt. If not then forget I mentioned it....).

Really you're in London; you could spend a month there and not see everything so you have_lots of options.....

• Matt R. likes this

#189 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

I think I’d rather do Brussels if we are getting in the Chunnel.. we’ve been to Paris and one of our family will be back home from two weeks in France just a few weeks before we leave and may be tired of trains anyways

Matt.

#190 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,556 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:17 PM

Finally starting to book some apartments for when we are in London, and it looks like we have four nights free at the end of the trip to go somewhere else, perhaps. Any suggestions on where we should hop a train to?

Edinburgh? Brighton? Brussels? We may just end up staying in London but we’re looking at some options.

Matt.

We're doing the exact thing. We decided on Paris. Brussels is great. Never made it to Bruges but heard great things.

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 February 2019 - 11:19 PM.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

Edinburgh! Mrs. Mike K. lived there for over a year, says it’s a must-see.
  • Matt R. and Love the rock like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#192 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,797 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:27 AM

Edinburgh! Mrs. Mike K. lived there for over a year, says it’s a must-see.

Its a very historic and clean city.....but man its cold up there. And if you're there at the right time, August, the Edinburgh (military) Tattoo is a must see/do.....

#193 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:27 PM

August? No, I don’t take many trips in the summer.

First two weeks of May.

Matt.

#194 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations on accommodations in Oslo?  Perhaps an AirBnB where someone has stayed previously?  Apparently, availability in one's AirBnb calendar hasn't translated into actual availability. Every single time.

#195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:55 PM

they need to better incentivize hosts to alllow auto/instant bookings. none of this “request to book” nonsense. it’s a crappy feature that keeps them a notch behind hotels in that regard.

also fugger they might just look at your reviews and then decline with booked as an excuse one supposes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2019 - 02:57 PM.

• Matt R. and Bob Fugger like this

#196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:00 PM

It's annoying, for sure. Autobook should be available by default if your previous stays have been rated at 4+, and/or if you haven't had any negative feedback as identified by other hosts, etc.

Only if you don't have a rating or you don't immediately qualify based on feedback would the host need to personally authorize your request.

• Bob Fugger likes this

Know it all.

#197 LJ

LJ
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

The British Museum is definitely worth a day tour, and it's free.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#198 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

also fugger they might just look at your reviews and then decline with booked as an excuse one supposes.

Not in my case. They can see my reviews as both a guest and a (Super)host. I found a place: but I’m loathe to book it as they’re new to AirBnB as of last month with zero reviews. He’s the only one that’s gotten back to me, but the only verification is phone number. No FB cross-reference, no government ID uploaded.

#199 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

that’s the next worse thing. I mean you sort of feel a bit sorry for the new ones they have to start somewhere. but ya it’s offputting.

I tried to make a joke about your own reviews. I was just kidding,

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2019 - 07:54 PM.

#200 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

Yeah I don't know why, but my responses to your posts are seeming to come off as defensive.  Not my intention.

In any event, the fellow got back to us with a very reasonable response: that they have over 300 long term rentals under management and that this is their first foray into short term.  Unfortunately, he took a long time to respond and we'd found another place in the meantime.  We're happy with it, except the host has a habit (i.e., it's happened more than 5 times over the course of a couple of years ) of cancelling bookings on guests.  Generally with notice, but some really close to arrival.

When we were doing STVR, back in the good ol' days, it would have never have crossed my mind to cancel on a guest, even if we'd gotten a better (usually longer) offer from another platform.  I suppose that we'll just have to see.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users