The General Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
559 replies to this topic

#61 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,635 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

^ Oh Matt, I forgot to mention....drink lots of water. :)

• Matt R. likes this

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,471 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

Bottled water!

Stay away from ice and dairy in non-Americanized restaurants or hotels.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 johnk

johnk
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Be careful with salads, too. Fruit and veggies that can be peeled are pretty ok. Something often overlooked is you can get sick from poorly-washed utensils and dishes. I've known people who brought their own utensils and cleaned them with bottled water.
If you decide to try some street food look for the busiest stalls, as Anthony Bourdain says, "They dont stay in business by poisoning their customers."
Stay hydrated with bottled beer. Everything water does for you...and more!
  • jonny likes this

#64 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Asked around, ended up getting the Twinrix shots. Some people said not to bother, doctor and pharmacist both suggested it tho. Working in a restaurant, being covered for Hep a and b probably isn't a bad idea.

One person suggested Dukoral, strongly suggested it actually. Dr and pharmacist said don't bother, just stay away from salad and ice.

My wife went to a travel clinic, same story from that doctor.

I'm not too worried about food safety, mostly looking for dos and don'ts on where to go and what to do.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#65 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,525 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Resort or condo?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#66 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

Condo in a resort.

Matt.

#67 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,525 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

So the water is going to be filtered on site. I still wouldn't drink it, but fine to brush your teeth with.

Try to lean some basic phrases, just to be friendly. The staff at restaurants and pool side will speak Englis, the maid not. So download Spanish on Google translate to help you out with them.

"Cuánto peso?" How many dollars! Very important phrase- be able to quickly exchange so it looks like you know what your doing.

Take US dollars! Lots! Tip in US... A couple of bucks a day ($1 US = $20 peso- roughly), a six pack of Corona can cost $85-95 peso. An entree can be $300 ^ peso. Always ask at the restaurant if they have a special that night, if they don't have two for one drinks, look sad, say you where hoping for 2-4-1... and start to walk away or talk with your group.

When buying something, never take the first price offered. Cut it in half to 2/3's depending on quality. Then banter back and fourth a bit... given in when you are comfortable with the price. If it is offered under $5 bucks- just take it... it will be a gift for someone and they must need the money.

Go on a tour... but only one. Explore on your own and learn No, gracias! Don't make eye contact or look at something unless your will to actually buy or haggle. Only walk into the stores your interested in shopping in- in can be difficult to get out being sold to.

Drink... sunscreen often... drink some more and realize you may not eat much during the daytime... so hydrate.
  • Mike K. and Matt R. like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#68 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,112 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Have been all over MX (the Baja, Cabo, MX City and the Yucatan, but oddly not to Mazatlan). Try to get out to see the "real" Mexico. That means going off the beaten path. You'll meet some of the nicest, friendliest folks anywhere. Learn some basic Espanol. "Dondes esta la banyo?" will always come in handy........ :).

As mentioned already stay well hydrated (this means water, not alcohol); re-apply the sunscreen. Frequently. Even if you stay in the shade. The Mexican sun is a far cry from the wimpy version we see here. A bad sunburn will ruin a Mexican holiday faster than you can say "Montezuma's Revenge".

Can't speak for Mazatlan per se but try to avoid "popular" shopping areas unless you enjoy literally being physically jostled as the small shop proprietor's attempt to lure/drag you into their shops. Fifth Avenue in Playa del Carmen is one such place where a shopkeeper literally reached into my pockets when I told him I had no peso's on me. They can be very aggressive in a manner you'll never experience in Canada. Above all...have fun and enjoy.

• Matt R. likes this

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Is this thread only for travelling generals?  :confused:

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,007 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Is this thread only for travelling generals?  :confused:

No that's the Generals Travel Thread. Spelling counts.

#71 SimonH

SimonH
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

No that's the Generals Travel Thread. Spelling counts.

Is the General that VHF geezer ?
  • Nparker likes this

#72 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

Starting to plan a trip to the south of France and north of Spain for end of March next year. Any pro tips?

Matt.

#73 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,601 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

I assume you are in the hunt for some good eats. That area of Spain is Basque Country, so you will notice a cultural difference from the rest of Spain. The first thing you may notice is Basque flags everywhere but no Spanish national flags for the same reason you rarely see Canadian flags in Quebec City.

Edited by Rob Randall, 29 May 2017 - 01:25 PM.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#74 SimonH

SimonH
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

As a foodie you should spend the whole trip in San Sebastian. It has the highest number of Michelin star restaurants per capita in the world.  The Guggenheim in Bilbao would be worth a visit and a 50 minute trip up to Biarritz would be a good day out.

I used to stay in Antibes lovely walled town, great restaurants. Frejus, Menton, Ventimilgia, Juan les Pins, Grimaud ( not Port Grimaud) all worth a visit.

Are you driving  ?

#75 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,601 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

The Guggenheim in Bilbao would be worth a visit

I bought a train ticket from France to Bilbao, Spain and the train stopped in Irun, Spain. I was confused but apparently French trains have to stop at Irun because that's where the track gauge changes to Spanish standards. Problem was there were no more westbound trains to Bilbao that evening. So I found myself in a city the size of Victoria that nonetheless was not shown on any maps. Funny that a city of 80,000 is prominent on a Canadian map but hardly rates a mention on a Spanish map. Great part of the world to visit. 

#76 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,877 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

the txotx is probably good too

#77 johnk

johnk
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

Starting to plan a trip to the south of France and north of Spain for end of March next year. Any pro tips?
Matt.

I can help you out, I lived in France 4 yrs before arriving in Vic.
South of France east or west? East is Provence and the Cote d'Azur while west is Atlantic-Basque.
In the west: Biarritz is quite fine, old and aristocratic. St. Jean de Luz is a charming town. In that general area don't overlook Bordeaux with great architecture, food and a young vibe. Oh yeah, wine too but not cheap. St. Emilion east of Bordeaux is a quintessential wine village dating from Roman times.
Provence is Provence, wonderful in every way. The three A's: Arles, Avignon and Aix perhaps the sweetest loveliest small city in France. Arles is the "soul of Provence" Van Gogh lived there and it has a great Roman arena where they hold concerts and bullfights (in France the bull isn't killed). Fabulous hill villages in the Luberon just don't ask about property prices.
The Cote is the bling capital of the world. Ferraris, Bentleys, serious yachts, ugly rich people everywhere especially Cap Ferrat and Cap d'Antibes but Nice has charm and character. Great cliffside walk between Monte Carlo and Menton at the Italian border.
Barcelona is a must. Just go, one of the greatest cities anywhere. Its alive!
In France the Logis de France chain offer good, reasonable family-owned hotels, LdF is an association not a corporation so each hotel is different. Dependable dining rooms usually offering regional food and drink.
More later.
  • Matt R. likes this

#78 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,297 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Damn, now I need to start planning a trip to the south of France.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#79 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,601 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

The Cote is the bling capital of the world. Ferraris, Bentleys, serious yachts, ugly rich people everywhere especially Cap Ferrat and Cap d'Antibes but Nice has charm and character. Great cliffside walk between Monte Carlo and Menton at the Italian border.

The train that goes along the coast towards Italy is picturesque as it slowly winds its way through every town and village overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean. But be warned the train goes at what seems like walking pace. It seems like it's going backward compared to the TGV. But yeah, it really helps to focus your trip on your personal preferences. I loved Roman history and art history so Arles was a highlight for me.

#80 rjag

rjag
  • 5,324 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Rent a car its the only way to see lots of it. We have stayed near Cap D'Antibe and Avignon and you cant go wrong ranging out a few hours in any direction. Depends how long you are going. 

We also stayed in Barcelona a few years ago and it was one of the most amazing cities I have visited, very easy to get around, no car needed there. Just watch your belongings, loads of pickpockets in crowded areas.

Every time we have gone we have rented a house.

Some of the sites we have used

http://www.jdvholidays.com/

www.vrbo.com

Tripadvisor is full of good information as well

• johnk likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users