Photo

The General Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#161 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:20 AM

Ok one more. Have tickets to the Chris Cornell tribute show, I am the Highway, next month at the Forum in L.A. Looking for a quick turnaround, two nights mid week.

Smart enough to know to avoid Inglewood, where the show is, but it’s been a loooooooong time since I’ve been in Los Angeles proper.

Any tips on where to stay that won’t cost $400 a night? Personal experience?

Matt.

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

Have some fun and book a place in the Hollywood hills. You won't regret it. Personally I find Hollywood an interesting place to stay just because it's so lively. Downtown LA is a dead zone after hours and the east side where the historic buildings are is kinda sketchy. East LA in general isn't nearly as bad as it once was, but you're going to stick out like a sore thumb if you stay anywhere in the central city.

Seriously, find a place in the hills and just chill on the deck looking out over the basin. It'll be an experience you won't soon forget and chances are you'll end up near a celebrity's home (the place I stayed at looked down onto Chris Brown's place).

Here's the view from the deck. Brown's house would have been to the right and just out of view.

Hollywood hills.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 20,887 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

I'll take poolside in Palm Springs over anywhere in LA - but to each his own.

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:47 PM

That's a hell of a long walk for a guy catching a show in Inglewood.

• AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 20,887 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:47 PM

But it avoids a flight into/out of LAX and IMO no show is worth that airport.  :thumbsup:

#166 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,430 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:50 PM

Was going to suggest Newport Beach but then we stay there with friends for zero "doneros" so that won't help, in addition ya gotta brave 40+ miles driving the 405 so that likely won't work. In all seriousness I might be inclined to look at the Westwood/UCLA area. There are or at least were lots of decent hotels in the $2-300 USD range/night.

• Matt R. and todd like this

#167 Wayne

Wayne
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

Matt R., on 05 Dec 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

Ok one more. Have tickets to the Chris Cornell tribute show, I am the Highway, next month at the Forum in L.A. Looking for a quick turnaround, two nights mid week.

Smart enough to know to avoid Inglewood, where the show is, but it’s been a loooooooong time since I’ve been in Los Angeles proper.

Any tips on where to stay that won’t cost $400 a night? Personal experience?

Matt.

So Jealous!

• Matt R. and todd like this

#168 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:12 AM

Have some fun and book a place in the Hollywood hills. You won't regret it. Personally I find Hollywood an interesting place to stay just because it's so lively. Downtown LA is a dead zone after hours and the east side where the historic buildings are is kinda sketchy. East LA in general isn't nearly as bad as it once was, but you're going to stick out like a sore thumb if you stay anywhere in the central city.

Seriously, find a place in the hills and just chill on the deck looking out over the basin. It'll be an experience you won't soon forget and chances are you'll end up near a celebrity's home (the place I stayed at looked down onto Chris Brown's place).

Here's the view from the deck. Brown's house would have been to the right and just out of view.

H ollywood hills.jpg

Oh that’s interesting. Got a link? Or Airbnb?

Matt.

#169 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:14 AM

So Jealous!

Flying down to LA for two nights for a concert isn’t something I normally do, but last time I hesitated on going to see Temple of the Dog because of money ... bad things happened!

So this time I’m going, even though my apprentice is in school at that time, so now need to figure out the time off

Matt.
  • rjag and Bob Fugger like this

#170 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:16 AM

I’ve got a friend on the ground in LA so am awaiting some real time local intel.

He says the forum is great for live music, even up in the nosebleeds where I’ll be sitting.

Matt.

#171 Wayne

Wayne
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

Flying down to LA for two nights for a concert isn’t something I normally do, but last time I hesitated on going to see Temple of the Dog because of money ... bad things happened!

So this time I’m going, even though my apprentice is in school at that time, so now need to figure out the time off

Matt.

Enjoy. It will be a very cool trip.
  • Matt R. likes this

#172 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

Oh that’s interesting. Got a link? Or Airbnb?

Matt.

I don't know if the place is still available. But run a search for that area of town and you'll find all sorts of stuff.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#173 todd

todd
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:27 PM

I don't know if the place is still available. But run a search for that area of town and you'll find all sorts of stuff.

Don't worry as per our financial agreement no one will ever know.

#174 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,842 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Ended up finding another couple to go with, stretched it out to four nights and booked a house near the marina in Venice. Will be spending our time in Venice and Santa Monica aside from maybe a day at universal studios.

Matt.

#175 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Don't forget your hep-A shots!

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#176 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,430 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted Yesterday, 04:53 PM

Ended up finding another couple to go with, stretched it out to four nights and booked a house near the marina in Venice. Will be spending our time in Venice and Santa Monica aside from maybe a day at universal studios.

Matt.

You'll have a blast - very well worth it; and the rides are better than Disneyland especially from an adult perspective. One nice feature is an extensive misting system they turn on if its warm, guaranteed to keep visitors cool. 

• Matt R. likes this

#177 rjag

rjag
  • 4,381 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Matt.

If you plan universal studios you should google to see if you can get front of the line passes. You can only get them in advance and they are a few $ more but totally worth it. We did that a few years back and didn’t wait more than 2-3 mins per ride
  • Matt R. likes this

#178 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,842 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:26 PM

All up to date on my hep shots, lol.

We’re going in a few weeks, not anticipating high temps.

Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.