27 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Cormorant at Douglas.

Facebook thread.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to live or work within ear shot of the individuals who frequent those benches. That corner can get quite "boisterous," if you know what I mean.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to live or work within ear shot of the individuals who frequent those benches. That corner can get quite "boisterous," if you know what I mean.

Yes, it can. And I've seen the drinking. But don't we have any police patrols? Open drinking at View and Douglas would be stopped pretty quick, and really this is on the way to and from the patrols, isn't it?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I've seen police there on several occasions, sometimes with lights flashing, other times just parked along Cormorant and talking to the people on the benches. But 9 times out of 10 the folks who hang around there are not accosted by the police.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I've seen police there on several occasions, sometimes with lights flashing, other times just parked along Cormorant and talking to the people on the benches. But 9 times out of 10 the folks who hang around there are not accosted by the police.

I think 9 times or more out of 10 they are not drinking, from what I see. But indeed they are not always the Uplands crowd.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

The key is to keep booze hidden :)

Know it all.

#7 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Right across the street from city hall

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...A-/170562321346

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

There used to be problematic benches on Vancouver between Yates and View but the adjacent condo owners lobbied to have them removed. Today, alcoholics use the Quadra St. bus stop outside View Towers since they have been chased away from the Market on Yates, neither of which had benches.

#10 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

Before The Union began construction there was a group of chaps and chappettes who used to sit on a slight cement curb along the lot line of the site and drink in the open all day and harass the retailers and shoppers along Pandora. If there was a police attempt to curb this behavior, it was ineffectual. And how about the wonderful park at the bottom of Yates by The Guild. IT is almost like little Amsterdam down there.

#11 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

I think a park needs to be designated for this sort of behaviour. We have dog parks and nude beaches, why not whino spots?

#12 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Before The Union began construction there was a group of chaps and chappettes who used to sit on a slight cement curb along the lot line of the site and drink in the open all day and harass the retailers and shoppers along Pandora. If there was a police attempt to curb this behavior, it was ineffectual. And how about the wonderful park at the bottom of Yates by The Guild. IT is almost like little Amsterdam down there.

\
That park is nothing new there used to be a pier on piles there that went out in to the water and if the cops were on their way everyone went under the pier. I used to drink and smoke we in the park 30 years ago.
Its a great summer place with great sun exposure.
People who complain about this stuff have nothing better to do than stare out their windows to see what others are doing when they themselves probably drank in public and partied on benches and beaches and parks.

How does the old saying go...He who has not sinned may cast the first stone?

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

I used to drink and smoke we

This explains so very much

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

I think a park needs to be designated for this sort of behaviour. We have dog parks and nude beaches, why not whino spots?

Or just put up signs requiring cheese platters and french bread to be present with the public consumption of wine.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

the consumption of mouthwash would require a comb so the person had neat hair to go along with nice breath
  • Baro likes this

#16 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wow, HB, you're really up on the mouth wash consumption protocol!
Pieta VanDyke

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm more into vanilla extract. It tastes better.

#18 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

^^^^^ Hey if you are home on the weekend Ill drop by I have some real Mexican Vanilla Extract have a 1 litre bottle that should be good for 2.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

The bench has now been removed.

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

The bench has now been removed.

Problem solved.

Now we need to remove the steps and the curbs, and all shade trees.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users