GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Looks a little "shopped".

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

Anybody else find that "NP photo illustration""[/size] just odd?

It's an article that cries out for a proper illustration, but they threw up one of the worst examples I've seen. Weak and lazy in concept, inept in execution.

Imagine the core concept of lonely Harper on a subway platform through the pen of a gifted illustrator like Mark Smith (to pick a random example). Think about how much more insightful and dramatic it would be than that cheap Photoshop hack job.

http://www.marksmith.../portfolio.html
  • tedward likes this

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

It's an article that cries out for a proper illustration, but they threw up one of the worst examples I've seen. Weak and lazy in concept, inept in execution.

Imagine the core concept of lonely Harper on a subway platform through the pen of a gifted illustrator like Mark Smith (to pick a random example). Think about how much more insightful and dramatic it would be than that cheap Photoshop hack job.

http://www.marksmith.../portfolio.html

Exactly.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

The name Isis was non-existent in Ontario delivery rooms before the 1990s, but reached double-digits in 2006 and 2009.

Quebec has averaged three new girls  a year with the name Isis since 2009. Twelve of them have a listed Canadian phone number.

http://news.national...ap-heap-in-2016

Now, by "new girls" I presume they mean new-born.  But if that's the case, are 12 of the roughly 15 girls, aged 0 to 6, already listing their phone numbers?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

Two years ago, Rogers paid $5.2 billion for the national rights to broadcast NHL games for a dozen years. Rogers figured that sowing up Canada’s national game for itself would provide a guaranteed audience through most of the winter and well into the spring. And by gobbling up the rights for the whole country, Rogers reckoned to hold onto that audience no matter which of the seven Canadian teams made the final cut.

http://news.national...layoff-schedule

• nagel likes this

#66 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

The writer mixed up two words that sound the same but have different meanings (homonyms). I think these are the trickiest type of homonyms for any writer because not only will a spellchecker accept it the incorrect word has a similar or related meaning. Sewing up means putting the finishing touches on a successful effort, especially one that shuts out your rivals. Sowing up could be interpreted as planting the seeds for an eventual victory. Even though it's wrong it kinda sounds right.

Three are other good examples I've seen but I can't think of them.

#67 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

The writer mixed up two words that sound the same but have different meanings (homonyms). I think these are the trickiest type of homonyms for any writer because not only will a spellchecker accept it the incorrect word has a similar or related meaning. Sewing up means putting the finishing touches on a successful effort, especially one that shuts out your rivals. Sowing up could be interpreted as planting the seeds for an eventual victory. Even though it's wrong it kinda sounds right.

i got roasted recently on stationary vs stationery for the stuff you'd get at Monks.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

This one really stood out to me, but then I had to Google it up to make sure I had not been using the wrong one all my life.  Was glad that it was indeed an error by NP.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

One heck of an article here:

http://news.national...nker-moratorium

screenshot-news.nationalpost.com 2016-04-25 13-12-15.jpg

• http likes this

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Newspaper business ‘ugly, and it will get uglier,’ Postmedia president and CEO Paul Godfrey tells MPs

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

Mick Jagger, 73, a father again with his eighth child, who is younger than singer’s great-granddaughter

Does that make sense?

http://news.national...t-granddaughter

#72 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

We know what it means but it's very poorly written.

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

screenshot-news.nationalpost.com 2017-01-09 17-53-06.png

?????

http://news.national...illing-she-says

Is this a blue dress, black dress thing?  Can anyone make out that photo?

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

I think it's a resampled jpeg of a faxed photocopy of a screencapture of a photo taken with a Gameboy.

• Mike K., Jill and Bingo like this

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

screenshot-news.nationalpost.com 2017-02-06 08-07-24.png

#76 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

I have two faves:
"Take the reigns...." and
"Tow the line."

Sometimes spellcheck bails out semi-literates and sometimes it misses a lack of basic vocab.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

That's horrid.

I barely managed my flight from London to Cape Town, which was about ~12 hours southbound. Super lame.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Aukward.

#79 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

The great auk is a flightless bird of the alcid family that became extinct in the mid-19th century. It was the only modern species in the genus Pinguinus. Wikipedia

Dead as a dodo.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#80 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

Here's a headline http://news.national...n-payed-interns:

Olsen twins’ company could pay up to US$140K to 185 former un-payed interns
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users