Canadian terrorism

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 52,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

CHEK News: Official Page - via Twitter:

RCMP announcing details of a terrorist plot this morning in Surrey. Online reports point to VICTORIA as the target.

"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" - zoomer, April 17, 2018

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 8,695 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Haven't had my dose of fear for a while.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 52,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Code-named "Project Souvenir" a joint investigation with CSIS and CBSA.

I know G-man will be disappointed if the plot involved sinking the Undersea Gardens, he'd have rather seen that plot carried out, with arrests later.

"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" - zoomer, April 17, 2018

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 41,458 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Holy mushroom cloud, sounds like the items had already been deposited at the Legislature, whatever they were and whatever their intended purpose was.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 8,695 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Probably a bunch of potheads who mis-typed "where to buy a bong" with "where to buy a bomb" when doing a google search.

No douibt we will find out that it was a good thing that the NSA and CSIS work togther and read all of our emails and web searches or else Victoria could have been obliterated.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 52,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Times Colonist reports couple arrested are John Nuttall and Amanda Korody, both of Victoria.

#7 HB

HB
  • Suspended User
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Chek News is live now with it better to watch than get second hand news

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,463 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Code-named "Project Souvenir" a joint investigation with CSIS and CBSA.

I know G-man will be disappointed if the plot involved sinking the Undersea Gardens, he'd have rather seen that plot carried out, with arrests later.

There you go, that's how you wake up the NSA computers :thumbsup:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 52,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Live on CFAX too.

#10 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,286 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

the suspects were arrested at 2pm but nobody asked what time the pressure cookers were seized. geez I was down there too

#11 HB

HB
  • Suspended User
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

RCMP say they had full controll over the 4 pressure cookers and they knew that the units were not able to explode. Sounds like a MR Big operation where the police had infiltrated the duo and had a hand in building the explosives but in a way that they new no one in the public would be at risk. the 4 pressure cookers were seized at the Parliamnet Buildings yesterday but the people were arrested in Abbotsford.

#12 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,068 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Still shaking my head at the naiveté of certain Victorians with their incredulous "it can't happen here" and "why here?!" mentality. Gee I dunno...there is a major military base 3 clicks from downtown (and yes we do actually have military secrets and resources that would be worthwhile targets), we have a crowded, working harbour on the doorstep of the legislature, a busy regional airport, BC Ferries (a prime target which I know for certain is on CSIS' terrorist radar), and "oh yes" we just happen to be the seat of government for the 3rd largest province in the country. Some people really do live in bubbles apparently.....

#13 HB

HB
  • Suspended User
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I noticed of late a lot of CBSA vehicles driving to and from the Langford CSIS headquarters at Langford Lake

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 52,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I noticed of late a lot of CBSA vehicles driving to and from the Langford CSIS headquarters at Langford Lake

CSIS has a Langford branch? I thought they were on Yates.

#15 HB

HB
  • Suspended User
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Its off Langford Parkway at Kettle Creek a couple doors down from Steve Drane Harley.
Surrounded by many perimeter cameras and other security features.
You know when you are there that youre not a welcome visitor .
Check it out on Street View

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 8,695 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Still shaking my head at the naiveté of certain Victorians with their incredulous "it can't happen here" and "why here?!" mentality. Gee I dunno...there is a major military base 3 clicks from downtown (and yes we do actually have military secrets and resources that would be worthwhile targets), we have a crowded, working harbour on the doorstep of the legislature, a busy regional airport, BC Ferries (a prime target which I know for certain is on CSIS' terrorist radar), and "oh yes" we just happen to be the seat of government for the 3rd largest province in the country. Some people really do live in bubbles apparently.....

I would be a little less skeptical if the "terrorists" we keep catching weren't so inept. It would seem to me that if you were really good at being a terrorist then you wouldn't be discussing your plans with everyone and buying your materials and instructions from the RCMP.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 52,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Its off Langford Parkway at Kettle Creek a couple doors down from Steve Drane Harley.
Surrounded by many perimeter cameras and other security features.
You know when you are there that youre not a welcome visitor .
Check it out on Street View

Oh ya, very uninviting fencing!

#18 Gipper

Gipper
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

What's your source that this building is CSIS?

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,068 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

I would be a little less skeptical if the "terrorists" we keep catching weren't so inept. It would seem to me that if you were really good at being a terrorist then you wouldn't be discussing your plans with everyone and buying your materials and instructions from the RCMP.

In general I don't disagree HOWEVER if you are in charge and national security was your bailiwick and your exclusive purview are you going to ignore a potential threat on the off chance the presumed terrorists are "inept"? Of course not. You wouldn't because you simply cannot afford to take the chance. I'd rather the RCMP-CSIS-CBSA were overly zealous than sitting around watching their how their guys are doing in the Stanley Cup playoff pool. The Boston Marathon is a great example - those individuals hardly fit the profile of 'professional terrorists' yet look at the chaos and carnage they created with similar home made devices. I get your drift but as I know a few of the people involved in security matters offhand I can't think of one who has nothing better to do than skybox in some black ops meeting and fabricate threats like this. Believe it or not they are professionals who do the best they can with the information they have.

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 8,695 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

In general I don't disagree HOWEVER if you are in charge and national security was your bailiwick and your exclusive purview are you going to ignore a potential threat on the off chance the presumed terrorists are "inept"? Of course not. You wouldn't because you simply cannot afford to take the chance. I'd rather the RCMP-CSIS-CBSA were overly zealous than sitting around watching their how their guys are doing in the Stanley Cup playoff pool. The Boston Marathon is a great example - those individuals hardly fit the profile of 'professional terrorists' yet look at the chaos and carnage they created with similar home made devices. I get your drift but as I know a few of the people involved in security matters offhand I can't think of one who has nothing better to do than skybox in some black ops meeting and fabricate threats like this. Believe it or not they are professionals who do the best they can with the information they have.

Hey I would rather have them overzealous as well. I just question why the need to advertise these events. If the RCMP had things under control from the start and the pair were never any threat to anyone then good work to the RCMP but why raise the Al-Qaeda terror flag? If anything it gives people a false sense of security thinking that terrorists are bumbling idiots.

My guess based on the wording from the release is that the next data dump from Wikileaks will be that the NSA/CSIS were/are spying on Canadians and this just gives the Government cover to explain that the privacy invasion was worth it because it stopped bad guys.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users