Photo

Canadian terrorism

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

The RCMP were very clear to state that there was no known Al Qaeda link to this pair of nutjobs. They are calling them home grown terrorists. Their lawyer stated that the male nutjob had converted to islam.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 LJ

LJ
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

What's your source that this building is CSIS?

There are RCMP intelligence types working there, it would stand to reason that it would contain CSIS and CBSA assets as well.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Their lawyer stated that the male nutjob had converted to islam.

A Surrey couple charged with plotting a terrorist attack against the B.C. legislature lived on welfare, visited a local mosque and listened to radical Islamist tapes in their basement suite, their landlady said Tuesday.

Shanti Thaman said she was stunned to learn that John Stewart Nuttall, 38, and Amanda Korody, 29, had been charged in a foiled bomb plot targeting Victoria revellers on Canada Day that police say was inspired by al-Qaida ideology.

“It is shocking. We never suspected this,” Thaman said as police searched the house Tuesday afternoon. “Someone is using them.”

She said Nuttall and Korody were recovering addicts who got regular deliveries from the pharmacy, possible of methadone.

“If you saw them, they looked like they are not 100-per-cent OK,” Thaman said. “Someone must be brainwashing them.”

She said Nuttall, who had lived in the house in the 9700-block of 120th Street for about three years, always paid the rent on time.

When he first moved in, he was not a practising Muslim, but converted to Islam about two years ago and began attending a nearby mosque with Korody, who would wear a burka, Thaman said.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2XwnFnf7Q

Reflecting on the situation Tuesday, Thaman said there were several recent incidents that now seem suspicious.

Nuttall was firing off a pellet gun on their property until her husband stopped him and explained it was inappropriate.

And, about three weeks ago, the RCMP evacuated several houses on the block, saying a truck filled with hazardous chemicals had been left nearby, posing a safety risk. At the time, officers asked her about the couple in the basement suite and she led them downstairs to knock on the door.

Neither Nuttall nor Korody were home, Thaman said.

Nuttall told her last week that he wouldn’t be able to pay the entire rent until this week because he needed money for something. She even loaned him $20, which he repaid later the same day.

And the couple had begun leaving their suite for two or three days at a time, always returning with someone driving a black pickup truck, Thaman said.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2Xwncngly
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

The RCMP were very clear to state that there was no known Al Qaeda link to this pair of nutjobs.

I'm guessing that they read the same .pdf issue of that stupid Al Qaeda magazine that had a pressure cooker bomb recipe. The same issue the idiot Boston Bombers read.

Now, how the RCMP was certain the bomb was safe--that's a good question. Presumably an undercover operative sold or gave them fake or inert components?

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Muslim angle. Desperate losers like these will latch onto any nihilistic fringe belief, be it neo-nazi, End Times Christian or militant nutjob libertarian. Radical Islam just happens to be the flavour of the month.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

The RCMP were very clear to state that there was no known Al Qaeda link to this pair of nutjobs. They are calling them home grown terrorists. Their lawyer stated that the male nutjob had converted to islam.

Every media outlet is quoting the police as stating this was "Al Qaeda inspired" even though there is no known link.

#26 Gipper

Gipper
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Every media outlet is quoting the police as stating this was "Al Qaeda inspired" even though there is no known link.

There is not necessarily any contradiction here. This indicates to me they are 'lone wolves' who radicalized themselves without being recruited.

#27 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,776 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

There are RCMP intelligence types working there, it would stand to reason that it would contain CSIS and CBSA assets as well.

Although its possible the elements of CSIS are merely seconded to other intelligence services in this area; don't forget with CFB Esquimalt literally down the road they could be working with RCMP and the CF National Counter-Intelligence Unit - the CAF aren't just about planes, tanks and frigates there are also various shades of intel units within the Canadian Forces including the NCIU. CSIS could be working with them locally. As far as I am aware the only official CSIS field office in BC is in Burnaby.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Actually the RCMP and CSIS don't usually work together. They co-operate with each other but have completely different mandates. The only CSIS office in BC is in Burnaby.

#29 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

If you want to be thought of as important then you have to arrest someone important. Just arresting a couple of drug addled losers doesn't gain you much attention. Now if you were to arrest some al Queda inspired drug addled losers then that makes you makes you important.

Appreciate the work they do but really. One of the most dramatic press conferences in years just to tell us that you "captured" these two seems a little much!

#30 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

They could have said it was Nazi inspired and it would have had the same meaning.
No link at all.

#31 Gipper

Gipper
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

If you want to be thought of as important then you have to arrest someone important. Just arresting a couple of drug addled losers doesn't gain you much attention. Now if you were to arrest some al Queda inspired drug addled losers then that makes you makes you important.

Appreciate the work they do but really. One of the most dramatic press conferences in years just to tell us that you "captured" these two seems a little much!

The police had no choice but to do the press conference more or less as it was done. A simple press release for any kind of substantial terrorism charge would not cut it with the media and the police would be accused of not being transparent.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

The police had no choice but to do the press conference more or less as it was done. A simple press release for any kind of substantial terrorism charge would not cut it with the media and the police would be accused of not being transparent.

I agree. Now let's get to the hard-hitting deep investigative journalism.

http://www.sleazerox...ews/02067.shtml

Former Lust Boys guitarist John Stewart Nuttall, also known as Johnny Blade, has been charged in an alleged al-Qaeda-inspired plot to place pressure cooker bombs at the provincial legislature in Victoria, British Columbia during crowded Canada Day celebrations.

Nuttall once played guitar in the B.C. based hard rock band Lust Boys (playing the KISS after-party at Sopranos this Friday!). Frontman Tommy Thrust tells Sleaze Roxx that Nuttall "was in the band briefly for one month, five years ago, while we where auditioning new lead guitarists. Luckily we found Benny (Blitz) and asked Johnny to leave. The guy was kinda off his rocker. He was a bit odd but I couldn't see him being capable of something like this." Nuttall did have previous run-ins with the law however, in 2002 he pleaded guilty to a robbery charge in Victoria and was sentenced to an 18-month conditional sentence.

Thrust recalls one night of drinking with Nuttall where the musician "stepped outside for a smoke and suddenly jumped into traffic. He stood in front of a moving car until it stopped and then started to hit the hood of the car with his fists. The couple inside the car were too shocked to move until I tackled him off the road."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

There is not necessarily any contradiction here. This indicates to me they are 'lone wolves' who radicalized themselves without being recruited.

From CBC

Former Canadian Security Intelligence Service agent Michel Juneau-Katsuya said he believed the pair were likely acting completely on their own.
"'Inspired from al-Qaeda' I think is misleading. I don't think we will discover that they had anything to do at all with al-Qaeda, because the indicators are not there."
"Al-Qaeda has never used women. Al-Qaeda converted people who will embrace the cause, who will usually convert and change their names, and these people have Canadian names."

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

I'm thinking we might, in the end, find they are two mentally ill individuals, or at the very least unsophisticated people, and likely the threat could have been stopped well before the RCMP started working together with them on the plot.

It'll be interesting to see how much involvement the police had, in terms of an infiltrating member.

#35 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

I'm thinking we might, in the end, find they are two mentally ill individuals, or at the very least unsophisticated people, and likely the threat could have been stopped well before the RCMP started working together with them on the plot.

It'll be interesting to see how much involvement the police had, in terms of an infiltrating member.

Well if the trial is anything like the "Toronto 18" circus then all of the court documents will be sealed and we will never find out what actually happened (or didn't).

I am with you VHF, it is hard to believe that a pair of drug addicts who live on welfare and their daily methodone deliveries could have masterminded anything dangerous. Did they carry their pressure cookers on the bus to Victoria?

Again reading between the lines in the media release they are being charged with supporting a terrorist act. It doesn't sound like they actually planted the duds or even built them.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

This should be a good career boost for lawyer Tom Morino. His client morphed from a two-bit punk criminal to an infamous suspected domestic terrorist. I assume the defense will be that he was a naive wannabe malcontent who fell under the influence of a seductive Mr. Big operation and never had any intent to initiate terrorism. As for the woman, I'm guessing she simply was the victim of extreme low self-esteem.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

This should be a good career boost for lawyer Tom Morino. His client morphed from a two-bit punk criminal to an infamous suspected domestic terrorist. I assume the defense will be that he was a naive wannabe malcontent who fell under the influence of a seductive Mr. Big operation and never had any intent to initiate terrorism.

Yes, Morino is sort of known as a "courthouse lawyer", often on the legal-aid or duty-counsel beat.

As for the woman, I'm guessing she simply was the victim of extreme low self-esteem.

Yes, I noticed her conversion meant she began wearing a burka.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Well if the trial is anything like the "Toronto 18" circus then all of the court documents will be sealed and we will never find out what actually happened (or didn't).

Indeed. Well, a judge agreed to seal these, and yes judges are politically appointed, but I guess it's better than the PM deciding what gets sealed or not. I'm not sure we could hope for a better outcome. Consider in the US, there are probably LOTS of plots uncovered to kill the president or other officials, and I'm guessing many of these cases never see open documents, in order to protect the methods of intelligence and police agencies. It's probably right.

#39 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Indeed. Well, a judge agreed to seal these, and yes judges are politically appointed, but I guess it's better than the PM deciding what gets sealed or not. I'm not sure we could hope for a better outcome. Consider in the US, there are probably LOTS of plots uncovered to kill the president or other officials, and I'm guessing many of these cases never see open documents, in order to protect the methods of intelligence and police agencies. It's probably right.

In the specific case of the Toronto 18, some of the sealed or publication banned information became public when it was released in the UK as part of a trial there.

We know now as an example, that two RCMP informers were paid in excess of $4M to infiltrate the group. We also know that these two were the ones that organized the meetings, ran the sermons, purchased the gun and ordered the fertilizer and other explosive materials.

Now being part of a conspiracy is still a crime and I am not arguing that the people who went to jail didn't deserve it, but the truth has the potential to change some opinions about what the media stated at the time.

I am only saying in this case that it would be nice to know all of the details.

#40 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

This should be a good career boost for lawyer Tom Morino. His client morphed from a two-bit punk criminal to an infamous suspected domestic terrorist. I assume the defense will be that he was a naive wannabe malcontent who fell under the influence of a seductive Mr. Big operation and never had any intent to initiate terrorism. As for the woman, I'm guessing she simply was the victim of extreme low self-esteem.

I hope that any defendant in any trial gets competent legal representation. I was very suprised that Morino revealed to the media yesterday personal information about the accused (ie that they had recently converted to Islam and that they considered themselves married).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users