• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#41 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

This whole story stinks.

I think that the police coached these people.
I think the police had a hand in building the devices.
I think the police planted the devices.

These people were busted in Abbotsford at about 2 pm.
This means tha they woudl have had to have planted the things at the legislature at about 830 am then drove to the Ferry in time to wait in line to catch teh 10am ferry which would have got them to Van area at about 1145.
From there they drove or bused 2 hours through to Abbostford where they were picked up

So at 830 am or say even at 930 am they walk up to teh legislature where they is virtually no one around and where there are camera and security guards everywhere? They are carrying some black garbage bags and leave them there ?

Ya sure.

This sounds like a coached event where the cops led them on.

I watched 3 different US TV stations last night including 2 in Seattle and not one mention was made of this story
It did not make US or international news?
Terrorism plots involving Al Queda and other groups usually and regularily make news around the western world. Why not this time?

Because its a BS story?

#42 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

What's your source that this building is CSIS?

Thats is classified information

You could however go up to the gate buzz to get in then ask.
OR you could hang around the gate and run inside the compound when the gate opens for a car.The go knock on a door.

In both cases I think you would find out who is in teh building.

#43 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I do wonder why the police waited until after Canada Day to announce the plot, when they have known about it for months.

Christy Clark was able to get a lot of PR out of the event, otherwise it seems to be a non event much like all the other threats that have been foiled behind the scene.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

These people were busted in Abbotsford at about 2 pm.
This means tha they woudl have had to have planted the things at the legislature at about 830 am then drove to the Ferry in time to wait in line to catch teh 10am ferry which would have got them to Van area at about 1145.
From there they drove or bused 2 hours through to Abbostford where they were picked up

Hey! Give these folks some credit. They are sophisticated Al-Qaueda terrorists, heavily financed. They probably flew over, maybe even owned their own airplane or helicopter. Maybe even a Lear jet. Even the Boston Bombers only had two pressure-cookers, these guys had THREE! 50% more fire-power, 50% more funding.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 SamCB

SamCB
  • 599 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Some of you people are really thick. The degree to which these people were "coached" is inconsequential. Two Islamic jihadists tried to blow up people in Victoria. It is a big deal. Thank God the RCMP/CSIS were on to them. Otherwise I suspect all you who deny the severity of this incident would be singing a very different tune today. It's easy sit on the sidelines and sling mud with your fingers in your ears when the threat is removed.

#46 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,620 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

I watched 3 different US TV stations last night including 2 in Seattle and not one mention was made of this story
It did not make US or international news?
Terrorism plots involving Al Queda and other groups usually and regularily make news around the western world. Why not this time?

Wrong History Buff. The story was carried on ABC News with Dianne Sawyer on Tuesday evening.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#47 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Fair Enough I only watched 3 different stations.
Thanks for the info.

I was just thinking that if this was such a big deal it would have been breaking news across the continent and on the BBC as well

These now "Two Islamic jihadists" as MARK CB is calling them probably had enought time to stop in at Our Place for a hot breakfast meal before carrying their black plastic bags down to the legislature.

#48 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hey! Give these folks some credit. They are sophisticated Al-Qaueda terrorists, heavily financed. They probably flew over, maybe even owned their own airplane or helicopter. Maybe even a Lear jet. Even the Boston Bombers only had two pressure-cookers, these guys had THREE! 50% more fire-power, 50% more funding.

I doubt that two drug addicts without jobs living on welfare own a car let alone the $150 for a return ferry trip plus gas.

Here is my guess on what really happened.

Buddy started mouthing off either online or offline about jihad or Islam. CSIS intercepted the traffic and had someone contact the couple as an informant. The informant offered to carry out buddy's intent for a small amount of money which was sent and received.

I doubt that buddy ever set foot in Victoria or even touched a pressure cooker.

Still a crime so the RCMP is warranted in pressing charges. To what extent buddy was (if at all) coached or encouraged we will never know. The RCMP, CSIS and Christy all high five each other and each has their agenda served well.

#49 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

The degree to which these people were "coached" is inconsequential.

The degree to which these people were coached is entirely consequential, as it could determine whether or not they have entrapment available as a defense. If they weren't going to commit this act without the RCMP providing them the means and opportunity, it's pretty much a set-up.

#50 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

CFAX is now graspimg at straws trying to make this story even more sensational than it is.

They are reporting tha the dude was often too drunk or high on drugs to perform properly in the band in which he was a member....

Is this sensational news?
Is it really news at all?
Is it even relevant?

Keep digging CFAX maybe you will also find out that he used a food bank too.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

CFAX is now graspimg at straws trying to make this story even more sensational than it is.

They are reporting tha the dude was often too drunk or high on drugs to perform properly in the band in which he was a member....

If you knew the band, as I do, you'd know that's quite a feat to be booted for drinking. I don't think they do drugs otherwise.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#52 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

The degree to which these people were coached is entirely consequential, as it could determine whether or not they have entrapment available as a defense. If they weren't going to commit this act without the RCMP providing them the means and opportunity, it's pretty much a set-up.

Bingo. Thats what it smells like to me. So they knew about this for months, but helped them in their plot in order to make a more spectacular arrest. Would these two nutters have gotten anywhere near as far without the police help?

Edit: Not saying the police action here wasn't the right thing, but I want to know more details before celebrating this as some kind of victory over terrorism.

#53 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Too bad the RCMP could not have had a spectacular news conference to go along with the spectacular arrest.

Their news conference looked like a PTA meeting where they didnt have any reasonable answers to the questions.

The highlight of the news conference was that it was bilingual

#54 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

I noticed in one of the stories either the landlord or neighbour mentioned that periodically, the couple would vanish for a couple of days after being picked up by someone in a "black pickup truck". So they're either off to some elite terrorist training camp outside of Squamish (Remember the Squamish Five!) with their carries of methadone or the driver of the pickup is an agent of some kind with the Horsemen. Were they true converts to the cause, their place wouldn't have been such a tip, they'd probably have been off the drugs and might even have had their own transportation. Note that the "place of offence" is Surrey in each case, nothing specific to Victoria.

I imagine that idiot shouting about jihad on the street in Surrey (4 months ago) got the ball rolling. To what extent (if any) the rolling was facilitated by the authorities remains to be seen.

#55 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Too bad the RCMP could not have had a spectacular news conference to go along with the spectacular arrest.

Their news conference looked like a PTA meeting where they didnt have any reasonable answers to the questions.

The highlight of the news conference was that it was bilingual

LOL!

You would think with all of their experience in holding press conferences to absolve thier officers of blame for various misdeeds they would have it down right by now.

#56 Greg

Greg
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Some of you people are really thick. The degree to which these people were "coached" is inconsequential. Two Islamic jihadists tried to blow up people in Victoria. It is a big deal. Thank God the RCMP/CSIS were on to them. Otherwise I suspect all you who deny the severity of this incident would be singing a very different tune today. It's easy sit on the sidelines and sling mud with your fingers in your ears when the threat is removed.

Couldn't disagree more. We don't have all the details, so we don't know what happened, but this scenario:

• Find a couple of drug-addled losers mouthing off about jihad and pressure cookers.
  • Coach them to the point of entrapment.
  • Arrest them to major headlines.
  • And the all important final step - next year when someone has the unmitigated gall to complain about the police using illegal bus searches on Canada Day point to this "terrorist incident" to justify whatever actions the authorities feel like taking.

That may not be what happened. It probably isn't. But without folks having a fair amount of skepticism and being damned concerned about how much coaching took place, it is where we are headed.

#57 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,024 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Couldn't disagree more. We don't have all the details, so we don't know what happened, but this scenario:

• Find a couple of drug-addled losers mouthing off about jihad and pressure cookers.
  • Coach them to the point of entrapment.
  • Arrest them to major headlines.
  • And the all important final step - next year when someone has the unmitigated gall to complain about the police using illegal bus searches on Canada Day point to this "terrorist incident" to justify whatever actions the authorities feel like taking.

That may not be what happened. It probably isn't. But without folks having a fair amount of skepticism and being damned concerned about how much coaching took place, it is where we are headed.

If I smoked, I'd give you a cigar. Authoritarian wanna-be governments have always loved useful idiots.

I think it's great that they can stop a bombing from happening. But if the investigating teams didn't have enough evidence to convict at the point where they knew the presumed explosive devices were initially constructed (and before they were transported to their presumed final destination), they'll need a seriously detailed explanation to make me believe that they're not criminally incompetent at conducting investigations. I'm willing to wait a little bit for that one, it should be a long doozy of a read.

If they did have enough evidence, then they'll need a completely different and much better explanation to convince me otherwise from they didn't care if the explosives detonated at the target or not, and I expect that report to be ready for press release as of yesterday. I understand that releasing such a report may be prejudicial before trial, but it had better exist right now.

My skepticism is working overtime. Given current info, something's rotten in the state of Denmark.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#58 SamCB

SamCB
  • 599 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Like I said, it's easy to let the skepticism run rampant when someone else has eliminated the threat for you. If the RCMP could turn these losers onto a bomb plot, a legitimate terrorist cell certainly could have done the same. Even IF (big if at this point- let's not forget that) a "Mr Big" operation "conned' these losers into committing these acts, they CHOSE to proceed. 99.99% of citizens would say "no" to an opportunity to bomb their fellow citizens. At the risk of being the lone voice to say so on this forum, again I say THANKS to the RCMP and CSIS for baiting and catching these losers. Lock em up forever.

#59 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sounds like you do not care for out civil liberties at all.

If you think baiting and coercing citizens and helping them plan, build, construct and carry through with any crime whether real or not...by the police is a positive thing then I am sure you will be happy if there ever comes a time when you can be stopped by the police when going about your business and locked up indefinitely with no reason ever given.

inciting present participle of in·cite (Verb)

Verb

• Encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
  • Urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way: "he incited loyal subjects to rebellion".

Sounds to me like the RCMP or whom ever incited these welfare bums should also be charged with a crime.
The RCMP have also exposed Canadians to a more real threat by linking these people to Al Queda when there is no evidence of that.
Is it possible that Al Queda will now target Canadian soil because the RCMP linked them to something they were not a part of?

Whats next? Will the cops put out a sting on people with Downs Syndrone? Encourage and coach them to do some crime then get all giddy and excited jumping up and down when they have enough evidence to lock them up.Everyone citizen isn this country is at risk. What what you say in public it could be taken literally and the next thing you know you are the next victim in a MR Big sting

Sounds like the guy is mentally ill and the cops took advantage of that.
Until they decide to have a proper news conference and tell us what REALLY happened we are free to come to our own conclusions based on their weak news conference and Christy Clarks' decision to turn it into an opportunity for her to make a politcal speech

Welcome to the New Canada

#60 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Like I said, it's easy to let the skepticism run rampant when someone else has eliminated the threat for you. If the RCMP could turn these losers onto a bomb plot, a legitimate terrorist cell certainly could have done the same. Even IF (big if at this point- let's not forget that) a "Mr Big" operation "conned' these losers into committing these acts, they CHOSE to proceed. 99.99% of citizens would say "no" to an opportunity to bomb their fellow citizens. At the risk of being the lone voice to say so on this forum, again I say THANKS to the RCMP and CSIS for baiting and catching these losers. Lock em up forever.

The TC reported this morning that the pair was arrested in Abbotsford and not Surrey which to me makes it even more unlikely that they had anything to do with planting a bomb in Victoria that morning.

So lets be entirely skeptical and say that CSIS caught the pair mouthing off about jihad and then had the RCMP contact them in a "sting". The RCMP then sources the parts for the bomb, builds the bomb and then plants the bomb while the pair encourages them, perhaps suggests what might be good to blow up and maybe gives them $50 from their welfare cheque. I guess by rule of law they are guilty of terrorism charges but do you really think that there was a risk that Al-Qaeda could have stepped in and had the same outcome?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.