Sun Media

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

One of the giants of the Canadian newspaper industry has announced a major restructuring, eliminating 360 positions.

Quebecor-owned Sun Media plans to shut down its 24 hours commuter papers in Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa on August 2.

The corporation publishes Sun tabloid newspapers in all three cities.

"The closure of the three 24 hours newspapers is a result of Sun Media's decision to focus on a single urban newspaper in each market, except Montreal and Toronto where their mass transit systems warrant the continuation of its free dailies," Sun Media said in a statement.

http://www.straight....ry-and-edmonton
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:53 AM

Sun Media TV closed yesterday.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:56 AM

Apparently, during that giant media shakedown where everything was changing hands, Sun TV was left orphaned and cut off from its main media supplier and nobody wanted to buy the poor thing because it only had a few thousand viewers compared to the tens or hundreds of thousands of viewers a major market newscast gets. I've never watched it because it's on a higher cable tier than I can afford although I know that Sun and some politicians wanted to have it brought back down to basic cable so the working class rubes could enjoy it, making it profitable. I hear it was a bunch of FOX-news style right wing gasbag truthiness.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

So long sucka.
  • Nparker likes this

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

Ya, it was a bit hard to watch.  Even right-wingers like me can only handle the excitable Ezra Levant in small doses.  Calm down, and/or shut up, Ezra.

#6 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:02 AM

North American journalism has sustained some major losses in recent days. This is not one of them.

• Nparker and bluefox like this

#7 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:48 AM

There's probably some decent, hard-working people who lost their jobs as a result of this. Normally, I'd feel for them. With Levant involved, I feel like cheering....
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

North American journalism has sustained some major losses in recent days. This is not one of them.

To be fair, it wasn't ever journalism, moreso editorializing and cheap commentary, since that is always going to be more cost-effective than actual reporting. If they felt they were practising journalism, they were just being foolish.
  • Nparker likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users