Phase 4 is actually Sinclair Rd, from Finnerty Rd to Cadboro Bary Rd

Home of the future roundabout on Finnerty Rd:

Between Finnerty and Gordon Head:

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Gabriola is essentially being closed as a through road to Ring Rd. as well. The new CARSA building includes a plaza across half of Gabriola.

#3 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

http://www.uvic.ca/c...n-high-rez.jpeg

I don't know, the above picture suggests to me that it will still be possible to drive through to Ring Rd.

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

That plaza on the lower right corner is right beside the playing field next to the Continuing Studies building. No access to Ring road (for vehicles) if that drawing is accurate.
Only access to the parking lot behind McKinnon Gym.
Perhaps it will be going through in the end. Cutting that road off never did make sense to me when I first saw the drawings. Half of Gabriola has been torn up, but according the the FMGT posting, it is supposed to be temporary (was also supposed to allow for single lane traffic, which it hasn't yet): http://www.uvic.ca/f...ith drawing.pdf

#5 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

That plaza on the lower right corner is right beside the playing field next to the Continuing Studies building. No access to Ring road (for vehicles) if that drawing is accurate.

Are you sure it is not simply pavement that marks a pedestrian crossing area?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Wrong thread... please delete.

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Only access to the parking lot behind McKinnon Gym.
Perhaps it will be going through in the end. Cutting that road off never did make sense to me when I first saw the drawings. Half of Gabriola has been torn up, but according the the FMGT posting, it is supposed to be temporary (was also supposed to allow for single lane traffic, which it hasn't yet): http://www.uvic.ca/f...ith drawing.pdf

i went through uvic last week sometime & noticed the same thing, the road is dug up. judging by the renderings there will be a plaza area at the entrance of the mackinnon building, but the brick pavement continues across the road to carsa, I suppose to tie it all together. & that would explain why gabriola rd is partially dug up, so they can repave it with brick or whatever they're using in front of the mackinnon entrance. that's what it looks like to me anyway but there's no street-level rendering it's hard to know for sure.

#8 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

...that would explain why gabriola rd is partially dug up, so they can repave it with brick or whatever they're using in front of the mackinnon entrance.

Actually the section they have dug up (so far) is not the section showed as being part of the plaza in the rendering. The have dug up one side of the road between the northwest corner of the MacKinnon Building and the Ring Road.

I go past there twice a week on my way to pick-up soccer and they seem to be laying some sort of large bore pipe or conduit at the bottom of the trench. Possibly heat/power/sewage lines.

#9 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Actually the section they have dug up (so far) is not the section showed as being part of the plaza in the rendering. The have dug up one side of the road between the northwest corner of the MacKinnon Building and the Ring Road.

I go past there twice a week on my way to pick-up soccer and they seem to be laying some sort of large bore pipe or conduit at the bottom of the trench. Possibly heat/power/sewage lines.

Given UVic has district energy, this might be pipes for that (as well as the usual services and whatever UVic uses for an internal network)

#10 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Yep, we are on steam heating from a central power plant so that is likely the bulk of the work.

#11 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Traffic signals at McKenzie and Finnerty were disconnected today....a four way stop is now in place as the roundabout is built. If today was any indication, proceed at your own risk...

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Traffic signals at McKenzie and Finnerty were disconnected today....a four way stop is now in place as the roundabout is built. If today was any indication, proceed at your own risk...

:)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

this gravel section is being used as the road now, it looks like they're laying pipe underground, like stormwater or something

#14 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

stop signs are now removed....make-believe roundabout in the form of gravel and pylons now in place, just so folks can practice before the real thing gets paved. the flag girls, previously there to stop and start traffic (with remarkable patience) were today running around explaining to drivers, mostly from the Caddy Bay side, just how to negotiate the circular maze. again, proceed with caution and slowly, as the road conditions are anything but smooth. your car's suspension will thank you for slowing down.....

#15 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Not sure what the delay is in finishing the work done on the corner of McKenzie and Gordon Head. The one lane closed for a month is causing backups down McKenzie. Completing it would allow the traffic (half probably turns off into UVic), to flow much smoother again. Just needs some asphalt done!

#16 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Not sure what the delay is in finishing the work done on the corner of McKenzie and Gordon Head. The one lane closed for a month is causing backups down McKenzie. Completing it would allow the traffic (half probably turns off into UVic), to flow much smoother again. Just needs some asphalt done!

You know they are making McKenzie a three lane road permanently? And there is no point in paving until you are done all the curb work.

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

You know they are making McKenzie a three lane road permanently? And there is no point in paving until you are done all the curb work.

All of McKenzie? East of Gordon Head (once you get past the first entrance to UVic, is already just 2 lanes with a median.

Curb work looks done. Sidewalk is all done. It's just sitting with cones and some rough/broken asphalt.

#18 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

All of McKenzie? East of Gordon Head (once you get past the first entrance to UVic, is already just 2 lanes with a median.

Curb work looks done. Sidewalk is all done. It's just sitting with cones and some rough/broken asphalt.

No, just west of Gordon Head. Some of the curb work is done, but I suspect they are going to pave the whole thing from the firehall east including the roundabout (which is very definitely not done).

#19 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

No, just west of Gordon Head. Some of the curb work is done, but I suspect they are going to pave the whole thing from the firehall east including the roundabout (which is very definitely not done).

I get it... though you've got your directions backwards.

#20 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

I get it... though you've got your directions backwards.

Nope, three lanes west of Gordon Head and 2 east. And when I rode through there last night there was a lot of curb work still to be done, so no paving yet.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users