Photo

Vanishing trees

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#201 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

I thought trees were a critical carbon sink?

#202 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

The authorities have made it absolutely clear: the urgent need to preserve the urban tree canopy is only slightly less urgent than the urgent need to cut down the urban tree canopy.

• jonny and A Girl is No one like this

#203 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

Halifax - May 2019:

A plan to cut down 80,000 trees inside Halifax’s most popular seaside park has been put on hold until the fall...

...city officials said the cutting at Point Pleasant Park, which is aimed at restoring the health of the park’s Acadian forest, would be carried out in June and July.

The park lost more than 70,000 trees when hurricane Juan roared up the harbour in September 2003...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/

Advocacy Group Concerned About Culling of Trees in Point Pleasant

The city will issue a contract to cut down 80,000 trees over 10.63 hectares.

Robertson hopes the company awarded the contract will follow the park's Comprehensive Plan, an extensive, 300-page report laid out in the summer of 2008.

"Its main focus is to sustain the forest, increase its vitality and resilience into the future," she says. "I don't know whether they're going to be following this comprehensive plan, they haven't said."

Duncan, BC - May 2019:

Cutting McAdam Park trees shameful

Three more maples trees have been cut despite the city’s tree bylaw. Shameful.

...concerns about tree safety must be taken ecologically seriously, and be discussed publicly to protect our precious trees — historic or otherwise — local citizens, and the integrity of council’s tree-removal decisions.

Given council’s current decision methods, recommended by staff, why not simply cut every tree in Duncan to rid ourselves of any more tree worries?

Milwaukee - May 2019:

Crews remove Marcus Center grove trees after renovation gets green light from city

Crews on Saturday cut down nearly 20 trees in a grove at downtown Milwaukee's Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, saddening advocates who pushed in recent months to save the space from renovation.

A drive to designate the center and surrounding land as historic — and stave off grove renovations — failed in the council vote Tuesday, but the tree-lovers didn’t think crews would start cutting them down so quickly.

Standing in the grove Saturday, landscape architect Jennifer Current was hit by the finality of the renovations.

“This is done; this is demolished; this no longer exists,” Current said.

The center plans to redo the space to make it more useful for outdoor events. The sunken grove will be replaced with a flat lawn. Other plans for the renovation include a new atrium and terrace overlooking the Milwaukee River and a projection wall where performances can be seen live from the street.

"We really see some opportunity for much greater use of the grounds,"

Knoxville - May 2019

Why were eight mature trees removed near Knoxville's Market Square?

Eight mature trees were removed from their wells near Market Square as part of a roughly $500,000 city project to improve the road and sidewalks in the 600 block of Market Street, bringing them into Americans with Disabilities Act compliance.

The importance of urban trees

Brace said the city began pushing for a forward-thinking tree program about 15 years back. The city now has an online tree inventory and an urban forestry division.

...the city is going to work hard to make sure the new trees have a long life.

"If you do three to five years of really good maintenance, especially the first three years, that tree is going to do well," Brace said.

"We always hate to see trees get cut down, especially ones that are healthy," he said.

Edited by aastra, 02 June 2023 - 01:41 PM.

#204 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

Gotta love this one:

New Jersey - May 2019

The state will cut down 16 acres of white pine trees to help save an N.J. forest

They have to destroy the forest to save it.

That’s the state Sierra Club director’s ironic take on a plan by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to clear-cut 16 acres of white pine trees in Bass River State Forest that are blocking PART of the view from a forest fire lookout tower.

...the conflict is between environmentalists and others who want to preserve what they say is an historic grove of stately evergreens, and the DEP’s priority to spot and prevent forest fires that could threaten not only trees and wildlife in the environmentally-sensitive Pinelands region, but also the human life and property mixed in...

Opponents of the clearcutting say the aging tower should be moved or replaced on higher ground, or that cameras be mounted on existing radio towers, alternatives the DEP has dismissed as too expensive or unreliable.

Edited by aastra, 02 June 2023 - 01:41 PM.

#205 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

The CoV is hiring a full-time "Tree Preservation Coordinator" for an 18-month term. Anyone know if this is a new position being created, or backfill for an existing position?

https://careersen-vi...coordinator/job

#206 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

The CoV is hiring a full-time "Tree Preservation Coordinator" for an 18-month term. Anyone know if this is a new position being created, or backfill for an existing position?

https://careersen-vi...coordinator/job

I believe that the City has at least two Tree Preservation Coordinators on staff. Used to be one, but a second position was created last summer. I doubt this is a third position, but you never know!

• gstc84 likes this

#207 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

If a tree position exists where there wasn't one before, I'll go out on a limb and say graft was involved.

• aastra likes this

#208 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

Seems like a serious allegation.

#209 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

Darn. I'd love to continue this but I'm drawing a blank.

#210 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

I should have said I'm stumped. This Harris Green thing has got me rattled.

#211 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

If a tree position exists where there wasn't one before, I'll go out on a limb and say graft was involved.

Or maybe they're creating a whole new branch? Yew just know they won't be poplar if that's the case.

#212 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:38 PM

Or maybe they're creating a whole new branch? Yew just know they won't be poplar if that's the case.

i am just now starting to twig to the fact that these are puns

• aastra likes this

#213 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

someone should investigate...you know - get to the root of the issue

Edited by tommy, 31 May 2019 - 06:40 PM.

#214 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

could be the start of a budding career

Edited by tommy, 31 May 2019 - 06:41 PM.

#215 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:04 PM

someone should investigate...you know - get to the root of the issue

Root out corruption, you mean? Get rid of the rot?

#216 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

Yesterday I noticed some city workers trying to do something to revive the three or four trees on Courtney St. across from the Quality Inn. They've looked pretty sad for a couple of years now. Hope they can be saved. Also some of the large rhodos in the brick planter near Blanshard St. by the library courtyard have been all but removed. They bloomed beautifully in May so I don't know why they've been hacked to bits.

#217 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

Sitting in the line up on Millstream while trying to get to Costco I was struck by the number of gorgeous tress that seem to be everywhere in Langford. They really have done a nice job of keeping their growing municipality lush and green. A stark contrast to downtown Victoria that is slowly turning into a concrete jungle. Huge new buildings popping up on every corner and every time you turn around another tree seems to be removed. Sad. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#218 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

Sitting in the line up exiting Millstream Village across from Home Depot I was struck by the number of trees mowed down on the hillside behind (beside?) Home Depot.  They have really doing a nice job of developing every conceivable square metre of forested land in order to grow their municipality.  That's not hating, that's just observation.

That reminds me... that previously forested land across from VGH that they mostly mowed down to put in hay fields is looking quite pleasant these days.  It's not what it once was but the gentle rolling grassland with the occasional grove of trees is looking pretty idyllic.

Edited by DustMagnet, 28 June 2019 - 08:15 PM.

• Coreyburger likes this

#219 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

...They have really doing a nice job of developing every conceivable square metre of forested land in order to grow their municipality...

Which is pretty much true for the growth of most population centres in North America over the past 200 years. 

#220 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

Sitting in the line up exiting Millstream Village across from Home Depot I was struck by the number of trees mowed down on the hillside behind (beside?) Home Depot.  They have really doing a nice job of developing every conceivable square metre of forested land in order to grow their municipality.  That's not hating, that's just observation.

That reminds me... that previously forested land across from VGH that they mostly mowed down to put in hay fields is looking quite pleasant these days.  It's not what it once was but the gentle rolling grassland with the occasional grove of trees is looking pretty idyllic.

It is privately owned property.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users