• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#221 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:57 PM

It is privately owned property.

Relevance?  There were trees within the boundaries of the municipality.  Now they are gone.  Doesn't matter who's name is on the land title.

#222 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,739 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:40 PM

...Doesn't matter who's name is on the land title.

But it does matter. The powers that be already have far too much say in what private property owners can do with their legally held land.

#223 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:36 AM

knowing what is best to do with other people's property is the definition of a canadian, a wealthy man once told me

#224 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

But it does matter. The powers that be already have far too much say in what private property owners can do with their legally held land.

Purely by observation it seems that the "powers that be" that is Langford doesn't seem to interfere much, if at all, in the denuding of hillsides.

But the point is the trees are gone.  The machinations that led to it are not relevant to the outcome.

#225 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,739 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

...But the point is the trees are gone...

I am sure new trees will be planted on the land as it is developed. I am also fairly certain where each of us now calls home there were once trees, so to be up in arms at the "denuding" of the landscape is a bit hypocritical.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#226 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

I am sure new trees will be planted on the land as it is developed. I am also fairly certain where each of us now calls home there were once trees, so to be up in arms at the "denuding" of the landscape is a bit hypocritical.

Let me quickly check something... yep, trees are still gone.  But do continue if you like.

#227 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:50 AM

Its amazing when "crisises" compete against each other!

We have a housing crisis, so you can't cut trees down because we have a climate crisis, and vice versa.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#228 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

Obviously the answer is treehouses.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#229 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:16 PM

Can you imagine how much worse our so called housing crises would be if not for the pro growth policies of Langford?
  • sebberry and newbie_01 like this

#230 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:35 PM

Shame about the traffic though.  Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

#231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

Shame about the traffic though. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

Is the traffic that bad? I don’t think it is, save for the weekend when the rest of the region descends on the Westshore for big-box shopping.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#232 aastra

aastra
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:29 PM

Cities need mature urban forests... but not too mature:

City starts fundraiser to replace ruined trees
Times - Colonist
27 Jan 2007

The trees are down, and now the city hopes wallets will open.

A fundraising plan has been launched to raise $200,000 to replace and care for more than 200 trees destroyed in the city following winter snow and wind storms. Beacon Hill Park and Ross Bay Cemetery were hardest hit along with several boulevards.

Experts say Victoria's urban forest is over-mature, with the vast majority of trees nearing or at their expected lifespan and needing to be replaced. City parks staff had planned to start that work. Now much of the money has been diverted into pruning damaged trees.

So what are we really saying here? If the "vast majority" of the city's trees are extremely old then doesn't that mean there haven't been very many new trees planted for a few decades at least? (So much for our supposed hyper-awareness and hyper-vigilance re: environmental issues over the past ~30 years.)

But aastra! The tree density is too high! There's no room to plant new trees unless we chop the old trees down!

etc.

Edited by aastra, 01 July 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#233 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:16 PM

Is the traffic that bad? I don’t think it is, save for the weekend when the rest of the region descends on the Westshore for big-box shopping.

I only know what people say, since I don't commute myself.  And people are always complaining, leading me to believe that traffic may in fact be bad.

#234 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

It's nothing compared to the lower mainland. I have been forced to drive home during rush hour times and at most it's a ten to fifteen minute delay.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#235 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

It's bad for our size (population), but it's nothing compared to larger cities of course.

#236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

It’s part of the City of Victoria landscape: the giant sequoia in Centennial Square.

The sight is familiar to locals soaking up the noon sunshine. During the lunch hour, the tree is the background to conversations and even provides shade during a nap. But, its days may be numbered.

https://www.cheknews...certain-584763/

#237 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:08 PM

I couldn't believe it when I heard on Chek that the tree might be replaced by....a bike rack! How scenic.

#238 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

while i'm not against the tree going.. it has to go for a good reason.. it needs to be replaced with something more welcoming to bring life to the square if it comes down... not a bike rack

#239 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,739 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

I am not sure what should replace it, but removing that oversized sequoia and opening up the square to Douglas Street would definitely be an improvement. 

#240 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

Good for an afternoon nap? More like afternoon heroin coma

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users