Photo

Vanishing trees

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#81 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:08 AM

If trees are more important than policing during this !!CLIMATE CRISIS!! - and I am not saying they aren't - I think it behooves our local officials to justify the environmental benefit of 2 poet laureates on the city's payroll.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

JOYCE KILMER

• rjag and mbjj like this

#82 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:57 AM

She's going to milk this Climate Emergency and milk it some more. 

• Nparker likes this

#83 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

I will plant a flowering, allergy-inducing cherry tree in honour of this useless city council.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#84 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:29 AM

That poem has a forbidden religious reference

• Nparker likes this

#85 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,840 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

notice the $900,000 is to come after your trees on your own property not city trees.

#86 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:14 AM

One really has to presume that the majority of those who live in the COV actually don't want cherry trees on their streets ... or why would they have voted in a Council that pretty much made clear before the election that the only money spent by the COV on parks and boulevards in Victoria would be for greenery that was native to the region.

Damn those foreign flowers and alien greenery anyway ... this is the COV!!

Edited by Cassidy, 22 February 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#87 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

I wonder if this will be the end of the flower baskets too?

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

...the only money spent by the COV on parks and boulevards in Victoria would be for greenery that was native to the region.

I can't wait to see all of those new oak and arbutus trees.

#89 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:48 PM

Any chance we might get some dogwood trees or are these not native enough to qualify for local arboreal status? I guess being BC's official "flower" doesn't count.  :(

• Mike K. and Dr. Barillas like this

#90 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:52 PM

why won't someone think of the bees! they are also endangered and those flowering trees help them.. and lets not forget about the humming birds too!

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#91 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

I once read that the Garry oak was not native to this area. I think it was on an info board at Craigflower Schoolhouse. I'm actually curious as to what reasonably-sized deciduous trees could be planted? All the trees I can think of grow very large and have invasive root systems. We already have enough trouble with leaves clogging the storm drains. I certainly wouldn't want fir or cedar, imagine the shade they would cast. The property behind us has an ornamental juniper that has grown so large in the 35 years we've been in our house, that it is now shading half of our garden and our little greenhouse. Pretty soon we won't be able to grow tomatoes in it.

Does the person in charge of Parks for the city actually have any horticultural knowledge I wonder. I was looking at some old photos of Victoria from the mid 1920s to 1940s. Boulevards were immaculate and on the stretch of Vancouver St. by the old Mount St. Marys were lovely small flowering shrubs of some sort. Nowadays there are weeds growing two feet in the air around many tree trunks and signposts.

Edited by mbjj, 23 February 2019 - 09:01 AM.

#92 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,840 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:05 AM

I once read that the Garry oak was not native to this area. I think it was on an info board at Craigflower Schoolhouse. 

they are native but there is some informed thought that they have done well here only because firs that would normally crowd them out have burned naturally or been burned intentionally by native populations.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2019 - 09:06 AM.

#93 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:23 AM

why won't someone think of the bees! they are also endangered and those flowering trees help them.. and lets not forget about the humming birds too!

European honey bees were brought over by the settlers, therefore are evil in the minds of the city council.

These non-native bees are steeling the pollen from the bees that are native to this region.  

There is a story on this in the vancouver sun.

https://vancouversun...ant-pollinators

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

Jayzuz! Settler bees. We're living in truly strange times.  :blink:

• jonny and A Girl is No one like this

#95 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,840 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:10 PM

https://www.vicnews....native-species/

“I refer now to the blossom-filled streets which will be emerging in a few days that I think a lot of people consider to be an important part of the city,” Young said. “The council has already adopted the explicit policy of the destruction of those landscapes. We have adopted the policy of not replacing those trees but rather replacing them with native trees.”

Young argued that with these additional funds, more trees will be identified and taken down more quickly, a move that likely would not sit well with the public.

• jonny likes this

#96 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,840 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

“There’s a relative impact that [climate change is] having on the resilience of our trees, particularly trees that are not native. They are suffering, they are struggling. We are seeing a lot of trees having to be removed right now,” Soulliere said. “Our arborists are quite shocked at the rate of decline, which is significant. We’re seeing about 70 per cent of trees removed this year are because of that.”

except that Victoria's climate is not changing.

#97 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

“There’s a relative impact that [climate change is] having on the resilience of our trees, particularly trees that are not native. They are suffering, they are struggling. We are seeing a lot of trees having to be removed right now,” Soulliere said. “Our arborists are quite shocked at the rate of decline, which is significant. We’re seeing about 70 per cent of trees removed this year are because of that.”

except that Victoria's climate is not changing.

Couldn't anyone with a yard with trees in it disprove this ridiculous claim?
  • mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

I'm surprised that Young has not brought the age of the trees into the discussion. Some of these trees are approaching 60-70-80 years of age.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

As has been mentioned in another thread, if climate change is the reason to replace the trees, why would native species be any more resilient to changes in the local climate? They evolved in the climate that is alleged to no longer exist. There's something else afoot here.

• A Girl is No one and Teardrop like this

#100 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

I keep hearing that things that are done in other cites don't apply to Victoria because it is too big and too small and too rainy and no one goes downtown anymore anyway which is why there is no parking spots available.

They probably found out some other city in the world has these trees and therefore they don't work here.  Heck, maybe the trees themselves just realized that and that's why they are ailing.

EDIT: They are also possibly dying of embarrassment.

Edited by DustMagnet, 25 February 2019 - 05:30 PM.

• jonny and Brantastic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users