Ian Jessop vs. Mayor Fortin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Sorry for the delay, this was from last Friday.

http://www.cfax1070....uly-26-2013-2pm

The interview starts out quite nice, just after 34:00. At 39:50 it goes to the point where I think you will not expect the Mayor to go on Jessop's show ever again.

Forgot, meant to post this last week. It's worth the listen.
  • martini likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 theboss

theboss
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

Sorry for the delay, this was from last Friday.

http://www.cfax1070....uly-26-2013-2pm

The interview starts out quite nice, just after 34:00. At 39:50 it goes to the point where I think you will not expect the Mayor to go on Jessup's show ever again.

Forgot, meant to post this last week. It's worth the listen.

Considering local politics are fairly dry, this interview was quite entertaining. Any chance someone can post the full list of salaries for the City Of Victoria?

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

Wow, and I thought Stephen Andrew gave him a hard time.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Any chance someone can post the full list of salaries for the City Of Victoria?

*** pdf: http://www.victoria....s_report_12.pdf

About 236 employees making over $75,000. They don't list individual salaries under that.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Sorry for the delay [ snip ]

The wait is forgiven. Comedy gold: "We get good value for service and for money."
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#6 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

I must say that was an enlightening interview. I can't believe the Mayor would react to Ian Jessop's use of the term, "ass". And he added that to the fact that Ian had used an obscenity while the break was on. C'mon! Jessop was relentless. Good on you, Ian.

The Mayor badly needs some work on his messaging.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

The Mayor badly needs some work on his messaging.

Sounds like the communications person needs to be paid more :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#8 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

brilliant. good on Ian Jessop for hammering away, trying to get a straight answer, over and over. the Canucks could use a stick handler like Mayor Fortin. I hope Ian Jessop does not suffer the same fate as Stephen Andrew, the only other media type in Victoria who had the guts to challenge authority. speaking of which, any news on the how or why of his demise? this is a story dying to be told. oh, and congratulations to Stephen Andrew for the Murrow award recently given to CTV for his reporting on the Wharfside Eatery goings on.....not surprisingly, this was the first time the award was not trotted out during the evening news..... usually a clip of the awarded reporting is aired at the same time, but that would be kind of awkward, considering they had disposed of the award winner just weeks prior. Murrow himself would be ticked.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

I can't believe the Mayor would react to Ian Jessop's use of the term, "ass".

I can believe it. Both men are experienced debaters; Fortin sensed an opening when Jessop said he wasn't there to kiss ass and jumped on it and berated him, a good tactic because it stops Jessop in his tracks and puts him on the defensive for a few seconds.

And he added that to the fact that Ian had used an obscenity while the break was on. C'mon! Jessop was relentless. Good on you, Ian.

Yeah, I wonder what that was about. Usually host and guest shoot the breeze during commercials but this sounds like things got testy.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Mayor Fortin's claim downtown Seattle has a 25% vacancy rate is patently untrue. Their vacancy rate is between 7-8%, or equal to downtown Victoria's vacancy rate according to Mayor Fortin. Furthermore what is the point of comparing a major American city to Victoria? Market dynamics are in a completely different realm over there. I think before making such statements on the air the communications departments should have verified the stats for the mayor.

I also appreciate that Jessop took the time to look into the UDI's claim that the new bridge will result in a $500-million boon to our local economy once built. The UDI admitted to Jessop that their findings were not based on any study but City Hall took those numbers and referred to them on multiple occasions. Given the lack of research by City Hall's communications department to ensure that the $500-million figure was based on more than just numbers (perhaps even opinions) by a private group representing developers and affiliated professions, Jessop argued that perhaps the City is spending far in excess for its communications staff (one of whom saw a $57,000 salary increase under Mayor Fortin's watch).

Great interview.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Just finished to Ian's interview with Langford Mayor Stew Young. What a staggering difference between Young and Fortin. Cutting red tape and bureaucratic BS is on Young's agenda, not taking months or years to study things and instead making decisions and getting things done.

I'll post up a link to the podcast when they get it up on the website.

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Just finished to Ian's interview with Langford Mayor Stew Young. What a staggering difference between Young and Fortin. Cutting red tape and bureaucratic BS is on Young's agenda, not taking months or years to study things and instead making decisions and getting things done.

I'll post up a link to the podcast when they get it up on the website.

Having spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to navigate around the traffic mess that Langford has become, I think that sometimes study isn't a bad thing.

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

I would say that Ian Jessop is the best interviewer left, at CFAX.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Having spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to navigate around the traffic mess that Langford has become, I think that sometimes study isn't a bad thing.

You've got the Colwood crawl, and now the Sooke crawl, and congested traffic between them. With Langford and Sooke putting on the most growth in this region I can only imagine what will be happening out there come 2020 as the population nears 100,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

Wow, and I thought Stephen Andrew gave him a hard time.

He is now.

• AndrewReeve likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users