• 14,679 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Will they...should they?

West set to punish 'chemical attacks'

• UK drafts U.N. resolution to "protect civilians" in Syria
  • Resolution to go before Security Council later Wednesday
  • U.S.: Security situation not safe for U.N. inspectors
  • First strikes could come in a few days, U.S. officials say
  • Russia, Iran issue warnings to West: Don't do it.
http://edition.cnn.com/

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Yes, they should send some cruise missiles into Assad's compounds.

#3 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

So the USA told Assad a few months ago that they would attack him if he used chemical weapons. Since then he's been winning the war against the rebels quite handily and it seemed like he would hold on to power. Suddenly he decides to use chemical weapons. Right. Makes perfect sense.
There's clearly no need (or time) to figure out where the chemicals actually came from. John Kerry already knows. Never mind that the Saudis, Israel and the USA have been funding and arming the rebels and desperately want Syria to fall so that Iran will be weakened.
As we learned from Iraq truth doesn't really matter. Decide what you want to do and create the conditions to do it. Syria was going to fall one way or another. Then Iran.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Since then he's been winning the war against the rebels quite handily and it seemed like he would hold on to power.

Methinks that's the really disturbing thing about this ongoing regime change policy. The combined military/intelligence/taxpayer might of the richest nations on earth gets dropped on these crappy little regimes... and they still manage to hold their own against it. Just imagine if China or Russia or some other notable power was really pushing hard in the other direction.

Also, the potential for US/European/Russian/Chinese/Israeli/Etc. intelligence (or some combination thereof) to exploit the situation by introducing a surprise into the mix is just huge. The various players sure must have a lot of faith in whatever behind-the-scenes assurances that they're getting.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 2,977 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Methinks that's the really disturbing thing about this ongoing regime change policy. The combined military/intelligence/taxpayer might of the richest nations on earth gets dropped on these crappy little regimes... and they still manage to hold their own against it. Just imagine if China or Russia or some other notable power was really pushing hard in the other direction.

Also, the potential for US/European/Russian/Chinese/Israeli/Etc. intelligence (or some combination thereof) to exploit the situation by introducing a surprise into the mix is just huge. The various players sure must have a lot of faith in whatever behind-the-scenes assurances that they're getting.

Don't forget however against these "crappy little regimes" considering the delicate nature of inter and intra-state alliances, both formal and informal, backroom international politicking and deal-making, the US rarely if ever goes full bore - in Iraq, Afghanistan and potentially Syria for very obvious reasons they utilized but a fraction of their potential, i.e. strategic and tactical nuclear, chemical and certain stealth weaponry were never an option and therefore not brought to bear. In a real one on one confrontation with China and Russia - in the event the balloon really went up - that would likely not be the case, unfortunately for the rest of us. Militarily the US still stands head and shoulders above either of the other two - essentially there is US and then there is everyone else in terms of military capability and spending. Although China is certainly making serious inroads with recent developments in their navy especially, their air force is no match for the USAF. As for Russia, most of their navy including dozens of nuclear submarines, sit rusting to pieces near the Kola Peninsula or on the bottom of the Barents Sea.

From an intelligence standpoint I doubt there will be too many 'surprises': this situation is right on Israel's doorstep - you think the Mossad or Shin Bet aren't all over it? The NSA? And depending how seriously the US-UK view the situation, much like Iraq 1, on the ground units like the SAS may have been inserted into the region weeks or even months ago. There is no way of knowing of course.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

...you think the Mossad or Shin Bet aren't all over it? The NSA?

I'm sure they are, along with many others. This is my point. You've got snakes making arrangements with other snakes in a room full of snakes.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,295 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

This ISIS gang of robbers, rapers, kidnappers, and murderers is starting to scare the hell out of me.

isis-truck-convoy-anbar-province.jpg

They have expanded from Syria into Iraq with a vengance.

https://news.vice.co...ic-state-part-1

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,187 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Why aren't they driving vehicles designed and built in Arab nations?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

They won't be driving in convoys like that for very long.  If Obama and Kerry get off their asses, that road will look like this:

CABAA-CCBCA-DDBCH-BJ_thumb.jpg

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,187 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Is that for real or a movie set?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,986 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

http://en.wikipedia....ighway_of_Death

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Why aren't they driving vehicles designed and built in Arab nations?

Because there aren't any?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

This ISIS gang of robbers, rapers, kidnappers, and murderers is starting to scare the hell out of me.

attachicon.gifisis-truck-convoy-anbar-province.jpg

Now at least the public can see how these barbarians treat people who are not of their particular brand of hate, er religion.

The US will continue airstrikes hopefully and wipe these idiots out, they are probably the greatest threat to the rest of the eastern world.

I don't notice these brave ISIS fighters going anywhere near Iran. They know they would get wiped out.

I would be sending the Kurds all the equipment they needed to ensure their survival.

The Shia people in the major cities better be arming themselves and hope that their military doesn't cut and run when ISIS comes calling. That would be a bloodbath of epic proportions.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

The US will continue airstrikes hopefully and wipe these idiots out, they are probably the greatest threat to the rest of the eastern world.

I don't notice these brave ISIS fighters going anywhere near Iran. They know they would get wiped out.

That's exactly right.  (Relatively) stable places like Iran, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and even Egypt are watching this in horror.  And with all the stuff going on in Libya, Syria and Iraq, nobody in the Arab world is much complaining about the Palestinian situation, as they don't want Hamas to become the next ISIS.  Hamas is already too connected to the Brotherhood for the liking of Jordan, Egypt and the Gulf states.

So I'm a bit unclear where ISIS is going to get continued funding, when they start running out of spare parts and fuel for their vehicles etc.   Are they actually competent at keeping and running infrastructure?  I know they are just robbing everyone before they kill them, but can they sustain that?  With 5,000 US workers at the embassy in Baghdad (it opened with 16,000 workers in 2009), there must be lots of oil money still coming in, but that's likely still coming into parts of the country not held by ISIS.   Hamas gets oodles of money from other Arab states, but I can't see any outside government wishing to fund ISIS.

As Mark Steyn says, "ISIS are fast-track Nazis. No messing about with a few property restrictions and intermarriage laws as a little light warm-up: They're only in the business of "final solutions", and they start on Day One and don't quit until the last Christian and Yazidi is dead or fled..."

#15 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,295 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

So I'm a bit unclear where ISIS is going to get continued funding, when they start running out of spare parts and fuel for their vehicles etc.

They rob banks. I think their last heist netted them hundreds of millions. They also have an aggressive employee payment plan where the fighters are paid more than the average worker.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

They rob banks. I think their last heist netted them hundreds of millions. They also have an aggressive employee payment plan where the fighters are paid more than the average worker.

Bur eventually you must run out of banks, or banks on their radar start getting their spare change offshore.

Also, the bank heist reports seem to be wrong, or at least overrated.  More doubt.

#17 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

attachicon.gifisis-truck-convoy-anbar-province.jpg

Can't find it at the moment but Time Magazine wrote an article on ISIS in Jan/Feb before they became a household name. The narrative was a lot different then it is now.

edit

Found a CBC article which make a similar outline. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...group-1.2684540

Edited by spanky123, 10 August 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,187 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

As European leaders fiddle about the US has begun targeting ISIS convoys in Iraq.

Say what you will about the Americans but they're the foreign force pulling the trigger out there while the rest of the world fumbles about trying to decide on some course of action.

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

As European leaders fiddle about the US has begun targeting ISIS convoys in Iraq.

Say what you will about the Americans but they're the foreign force pulling the trigger out there while the rest of the world fumbles about trying to decide on some course of action.

I guess you could also take the view that the US pull-out is exactly what created the conditions for ISIS to thrive, so they are just trying to reverse course a bit.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,295 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

The US is also party in leaving Iraq in the situation that it is in.

Say what you will about Saddam, he was able to control the volatile religious factions that make up this complex region.

By removing Saddam and then removing themselves they have left this country exposed in a big way. Their lending a hand with military assistance from time to time is what should be expected of them.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users