• Please log in to reply
1290 replies to this topic

#41 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,776 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

A new report from Snowden states that the infamous Internet blackout that occurred in Syria during the Arab Spring uprisings was caused by the NSA and not the Syrian Government as reported by the US media at the time.

Apparently the NSA was trying to redirect web traffic in order to spy on it and accidentally 'bricked' the router of a large ISP

http://arstechnica.c...ternet-in-2012/

You need to be somewhat cautious about relying too much on Snowden et al when looking to him and others like him in similar positions. Espionage is a very dark game. The term "Black Ops" isn't just something made up in a Tom Clancy novel.

Consider the following possibility - as this sort of thing happens all the time - Edward Snowden might just as easily have been a CIA operative working within the NSA as much as he is perceived to have been an above board whistle blower intent on "doing the right thing". Intra-agency rivalries are legion especially in military-intelligence circles. The old Soviet KGB and GRU (Soviet Military Intelligence, in many ways far more ruthless than even the KGB) utterly despised each other. The NSA and CIA have been institutional rivals for decades.

Check out Brad Thor's intriguing work called "Black List". In the real world this stuff happens far more than most people realize.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,068 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

I strongly, strongly disagree that America is a cesspool of Christian bible thumpers running around criticising "free thinkers" or whatever.

The average American keeps his religion to himself but it's the incessant drone of the Christian fundamentalist-obsessed BS spewed by the mainstream media that highlights what the tiny Christian sects get up to and gives them notoriety as though they represent the feelings of every Christian in that massive nation. It's all BS, this fundamentalist stuff, and the vast majority of American Christians want nothing whatsoever to do with it.

But meanwhile someone practising Judaism or Islam, whoa now, hold on, let's celebrate their religious freedoms, says the MSM, then they'll turn around and focus for an hour on some Christian sect's latest picket outside of a hair salon run by a gay dude. American media is so ridiculously (no, embarrassingly) lame and sensationalized.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

^ 100% agree. The average American is reasonable and there are fringe fanatics that make them look otherwise. The average Muslim is also reasonable and fringe fanatics make them look otherwise.

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Well the Ottoman Empire wasn't exactly all about puppies and kittens either.

Maybe there is one, but I can't recall a recent example of a western country getting involved in the affairs of a Muslim country in the name of Christianity.

How dare we condemn what is being done in the name of Islam when it is so much easier to condemn the west.

Both are bad. Chopping off the heads of innocent people is bad. Blowing up 4 kids on a beach is also bad. I don't see varying differences of bad.

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,670 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

What I was saying is that this really has nothing to do with what religion people are. It is being used as a proxy to gain political and economic clout for the various players. I don't blame the US they are trying to ensure their financial interests are safe which makes sense, I just think the way that they go about it is wrong. We worry about the extremism of the youth of the middle eastern countries but what we are really seeing is anger about the power differential, I would be pretty mad at whoever killed my brother, father, mother, best friend too.

Really the cause of much of the issues in the middle east goes back to 1919 and the division of the Ottoman Empire, they may not have been the kindest of entities but most of the national borders in the area reflected cultural identities and it is the collision of these cultures combined with the economic theft and political manipulation of the West that has caused so much consternation.

If you look at the more stable of the countries in the Middle East they are fairly culturally monolithic (Saudi Arabia, Iran) and they have not been at the pointy end of a foreign invasion for a long time. Now I am not saying that makes SA or Iran are lovely places or anything but they are certainly not continuously in turmoil. In Iran we have seen a warming of relations as of late and it is clear that the youth of the country would like to see more moderation in their country's dealings with the West but I think this is largely because they have not had a close relative killed in a war with the West. I would expect that the younger generations in Iran still have more ill will towards Iraq than anywhere else in the world and that is despite a totalitarian regime that is continually trying to convince the population of the opposite.

I think a lot of the World's problems would disappear over a generation or two if everyone could just stop killing people and instead try to come up with solutions that focus on the economic benefits to the global community. Having a nice dinner with your family members would make everyone a lot happier.
  • Mike K. and spanky123 like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#46 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Maybe there is one, but I can't recall a recent example of a western country getting involved in the affairs of a Muslim country in the name of Christianity.

George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'  (though to be fair, a decade or so ago might not count as recent)

Edited by Jason-L, 14 August 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

I think a lot of the World's problems would disappear over a generation or two if everyone could just stop killing people and instead try to come up with solutions that focus on the economic benefits to the global community. Having a nice dinner with your family members would make everyone a lot happier.

There is a very large correlation between healthy economies, low unemployment levels and low conflicts.  The more young males that are gainfully employed, the less war and strife there is.  (See: The Troubles in Ireland).  

That's one reason foreign aid into Gaza is not necessarily good, it means that residents get a stipend for no work, when they could be busy working to support their families, and have no time left over at the end of each day for trouble-making.

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,670 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

^ Yup couldn't agree more.

It has a whole new look!

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Russia has tended to stay out of the 'financing of crazies' game in recent years. That prize seems to remain firmly entrenched with the US and Iran.

Well apparently they are supplying the terrorists in Ukraine. Truckloads of military supplies including rocket launchers were observed crossing the Ukrainian border today. I would like to know what is in all those white convoy trucks that are supposed to contain "humanitarian supplies" that have yet to cross the border.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#50 Szeven

Szeven
  • 819 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

Well apparently they are supplying the terrorists in Ukraine. Truckloads of military supplies including rocket launchers were observed crossing the Ukrainian border today. I would like to know what is in all those white convoy trucks that are supposed to contain "humanitarian supplies" that have yet to cross the border.

Maybe thats the whole point. A white truck convoy to attract attention while the real game goes on unnoticed.

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

No point debating the accuracy of media reports as both the US and Russian Governments lie and the MSM can't be bothered to fact check anything. The one thing I will give you though is that bloggers and reporters in the US have far more leeway to expose the lies then their counterparts in Russia.

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'  (though to be fair, a decade or so ago might not count as recent)

I don't recall Bush proclaiming himself as a caliphate of all of Christianity who had religious authority over all of Christianity. I don't recall US or ally forces purposefully and systematically murdering civilians. I also don't recall Amnesty International declaring the USA a terrorist organization. The USA, despite it's issues, never had a goal of ethnically cleansing Iraq or Afghanistan.

Anyway, I see Canada is sending military cargo planes and equipment to Iraq to help reinforce Kurdish fighters in the north. I certainly don't envy those who are from that region.

#53 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

I don't recall Bush proclaiming himself as a caliphate of all of Christianity who had religious authority over all of Christianity. I don't recall US or ally forces purposefully and systematically murdering civilians. I also don't recall Amnesty International declaring the USA a terrorist organization. The USA, despite it's issues, never had a goal of ethnically cleansing Iraq or Afghanistan.

Anyway, I see Canada is sending military cargo planes and equipment to Iraq to help reinforce Kurdish fighters in the north. I certainly don't envy those who are from that region.

You are right, the US just funds the countries and organizations who kill civilians and commit war crimes!

Amnesty didn't have good things to say though about the US rounding up thousands of people, torturing many of them and keeping them in prison for years with no trial or access to lawyers.

Edited by spanky123, 15 August 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Foxnews running a feature "Chrsitians under attack around the world"

http://www.foxnews.c...cord/index.html

#55 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,776 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Heh..its Fox News so big surprise here. Not.

• Nparker likes this

#56 Greg

Greg
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

yeah, but to be fair Fox News thinks Christians are under attack in Kansas and South Carolina as well...

• Nparker likes this

#57 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Heh..its Fox News so big surprise here. Not.

True but Foxnews is the number 1 cable news channel in the US now.

The question of course is Christians are under attack by whom? Greta tells us that it is Islam and Muslims who are killing and maiming innocents around the world.

To my earlier point.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,068 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Christians are under attack all around the world, either through the use of violence as we see in the middle east or verbally.

The MSM, of course, has has done its part to ensure your average Joe believes all Christians are bible thumping, gay hating, no-sex-before-marriage, rapture prepping judgmental freaks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,670 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

One could say muslims under attack around world too though and there is a higher dead count for muslims...

It has a whole new look!

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,068 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

For sure, but in the western media the slant is against Christians. They don't dare say anything negative about the Muslim faith but anti-Christian sentiment is rampant as evidenced with the focus on whackjobs described as your average everyday Christians.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users