• 40,409 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's so popular that nobody goes there anymore. :squint:

#22 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Agree completley. Line ups here seem to be based more on its past rep than its todays reality. Many more and arugably better options today than in the past but each to their own.

Thirded - Pags is awful, disgusting food; it makes a mockery of bella cucina. Greasy, drenched in sauce, oversalted, underseasoned, undercooked, and poor ambiance. Never understood what all the fuss was about and I gave it a fair shot.

For better Italian, I'd go to Fiamo or Prima Strada, even Il Terrazzo.
  • sdwright.vic likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#23 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Does anybody know if Pags make all their pasta in house?

#24 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

Oh not a chance. :) I would wager that 'none of it' is closer to reality.

Matt.

#25 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Okay, if you're cravin' some good old fashioned "authentic" Italian pancakes (huh?), look no further than Pagliacci's for brunch.  :huh:

Actually, the blueberry pancakes are really good and come with fruit and a bagel.

19849943678_03a98d86f5_h.jpg[

20038037725_c3e258ae6a_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 26 July 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#26 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:15 PM

Should we start the conversation on how awful dinner is here again. Beat that dead horse again and thank Gary for it? 😉
  • weirdie, bluefox and Daveyboy like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#27 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

Thirded - Pags is awful, disgusting food; it makes a mockery of bella cucina. Greasy, drenched in sauce, oversalted, underseasoned, undercooked, and poor ambiance. Never understood what all the fuss was about and I gave it a fair shot.

For better Italian, I'd go to Fiamo or Prima Strada, even Il Terrazzo.

I like Pag's AND Fiamo -sso far no bad experiences at either although I will always choose Fiamo ovr Pag's.. Pag's bread though.. so good.

• Bingo likes this

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

Pag's could serve burnt pidgeon and goat and fill every seat every night. There is no arguing with success and Howie has that figured out.

#29 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Can't beat 8 dollar soup. That's all I go for.
  • Nparker likes this

#30 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

How does pags compare to Il Covo?

#31 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

How does pags compare to Il Covo?

Not sure why some people dislike Pag's as I have always had good exeriences. I don't mind a loud room either if that is the mood we are seeking out. I have only eaten at Il Covo once and it wasn't good at all. Check out their reviews on Zomato (used to be Urbanspoon) there are a lot of bad ones... I would choose Fiamo if it comes right down to it, although I really like the Pag's pasta.

Edited by JamesBayRay, 20 August 2015 - 09:36 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#32 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Not sure what the complaints are all about either. Growing up in Victoria, I’ve dined at Pags dozens of times, always happy. They used to treat the line ups outside EXTREMELY well.

Soole was just tapped to run the bar program, these two together are gonna blow the roof off the joint!

Matt.

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

...I’ve dined at Pags dozens of times, always happy...

Plus some of the best bread in town.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

Pags ain’t my thing but every time I’ve been it’s been good.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

Never had a problem with Pags, the food is good, but the lineups are a little long

Are they open again from the kitchen renos?

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

Never had a problem with Pags, the food is good, but the lineups are a little long

Are they open again from the kitchen renos?

Not yet.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

From my peeks in the windows, it looks like they're getting close. I would expect them to be reopened in the next couple of weeks.

Pags being too crowded is the only complaint I have about the place - often feel like a sardine in a tin, and can't hear the people I'm dining with speak. But the food and service are consistently great, the bottomless soup and bread is an unbeatable lunch in the core, and for dinner my partner always orders an item that was taken off the menu five years ago but they always make it for him with no questions asked.

We sometimes call in and place take-out orders now when we're craving it on a busy night. Skip right past the line, grab our food and go.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and lanforod like this

#38 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:23 PM

Wish they'd hurry up.  I'm craving some Dempsey's Lasagna.....  or a Hemingway Short Story....  or some of that addicting bread.    I, too, order take-out.  Take it home and binge watch some TV series.

#39 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

Pags being too crowded is the only complaint I have about the place - often feel like a sardine in a tin, and can't hear the people I'm dining with speak.

Not disagreeing, but that is New York style

#40 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Lived in NYC for 8.5 years. What do you mean "NY style"?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users