Photo

[Metchosin/Beecher Bay FN] Spirit Bay | Mixed-use | Approved

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#181 Pioneer

Pioneer
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Maybe some of the contaminated soil could be used to fill in the hole at Silkwind or Capital City Centre?

According to the A&W gossip, they had to remove contaminated soil from the Capital City site and take it to Vancouver. At one time, long ago there was a Dry Cleaner in the complex.......???

#182 Clyde Stringer

Clyde Stringer
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

I don't have time to listen to that right now, but can someone who has paraphrase what was on the CFAX interview?

The CFAX interview was promoting the Spirit Bay development presales event and preferential pricing. Chief Chipps was also answering questions regarding the eviction of the campers.

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Clyde.

So there was no discussion about the contaminated soil?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Welcome to the forum Clyde.

#185 Clyde Stringer

Clyde Stringer
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Clyde.

So there was no discussion about the contaminated soil?

Not a word on the contaminated soil issue.

#186 Clyde Stringer

Clyde Stringer
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thank you!

#187 Pioneer

Pioneer
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

3 - We recognize trees as a natural amenity which add value to the properties - not something to clear and be rid of. The lands are very mixed and not all highly covered. If you go to the site you will see the crew at work right now clearing the substantial mess left behind and taking great care to move around the established trees. All significant trees are being tagged - some for retention while other that may be unhealthy or precarious will be removed. Building while retaining trees is more difficult but not impossible.

They sure have been cutting the trees down. I guess most were not significant

#188 tony mancini

tony mancini
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

I do believe Mike Chipps (Russ's brother) was involved with the soil dump.
Many agree with Tony, nobody I've talked to in Metchosin has heard it was removed or knows any trucker that was hired to help remove the soil.
We all know truckers who were hired to take it there.
Where did they take it? Vancouver? and why was the Provincial Government involved when it is Federal Land? puzzling unless it was a joint project?
Nobody believes the soil was removed. The land sits as it has for the last 10 years or so, without any disturbance. Many of us pass that way every couple of weeks.

Now for some Timmy Hortons chat, lol, not A@W

Notice how now no reply. As there is still contaminated soil. Do not believe the band. If it was all removed, how come no soccer field has been built there as planned. Only orange warning fence. Driving there last Friday. Along the water front. Homemade septic tanks, old oil tanks. Buried, leaking, were not removed. Arbutus trees cut down. Half the camp was still a real mess and eye sore. Only looks clean as you drive by. Seen some of there signs getting tagged. Seen native crying, saying they lost all there friends and community. Between Russ Chipps and Butterfields, they sure made a mess out of a lot of ppls lives within a community.

The cancer issue, and the water ways. Under the Harper federal government, no water are protected anymore. So who would even fund a study on increase cancers from that area. You just had to be a small part of that community, to see, know, who had cancer. Many have dealt with it, and some have passed away from it. One in his 50s. From Alberta, died this year. He had one of the nicest places at the grounds. Which Russ Chipps allowed him to build, after he gave Russ a donated boat. Hummm, then right after his death and wake. Which Zacks wife and daughter came for. Held at the marina. PPl heard Sharron Cooper state. We are all family, a community, ect. Then shortly after that, in the news paper telling ppl to back up there trucks and move out. Within 30 days. So between Russ and Sharron, lies and more lies. So how can anyone believe, the soil was dealt with. Or that there has not been increases of cancers since 2007.

They wanted to build a new town and community. Come on now. You really believe, outsiders from Alberta oil barons. Will come and enjoy the acts of a native road block at 11pm. Some of the drunkenness I have seen over my years. The fights, dysfunction, all of it. Guess some of ones I speak of, will just be kicked off there own land. So the rich can enjoy there summer cottages.

Most of the so called campers , supported everything the natives would offer. From helping resolve situations, drunkenness order, from fights, to helping at events from xmas partys to fishing derby. The new town of rich oil barons. Will look at the same natives, shake there heads, Leave go back to Alberta, enjoy there xmas. Well the natives will remeber, how much they really do miss the community of so called campers. That help to make there events be more successful.

Tony

Have a great day. I know I do. Every day as I pass Spirit Bay. Good Luck

#189 Pioneer

Pioneer
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

Notice how now no reply.

There will not be a reply. How can they defend? Pretty sure this is a unpleasent situation for the developers and the Band so they just will not address it. Maybe it will go away. I still question why darlenet8 removed her post regarding the clean-up.......??? I wonder if she has been removed?

Mike Chipps has told many people the contaminated soil dump was cleaned up. Where they dumped that soil was a huge gulley, Now it is all filled in and level with the surrounding terrain.

Some of us that know, that remember of exactly and agree what you speak about Tony, The fights, dysfunction, all of it. Guess some of ones I speak of, will just be kicked off there own land.  they sure made a mess out of a lot of ppls lives within a community.

Now for some Timmy Hortons chat, lol, not A&W

Fairways grocery store's coffee table section too, first thing in the morning

#190 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

An exhumation required?

#191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

A press release was issued today:

Spirit Bay Launches Sustainable Resort Town on West Coast

May 7, 2014, Metchosin, BC – Spirit Bay, a 100-acre property in Metchosin and partnership between The Trust for Sustainable Development and the Scianew First Nation, opens its first set of doors today. Over the next eight to ten years, a sustainable resort town featuring colourful homes, a spa and commercial centre, will be built overlooking Beecher Bay on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

“Today marks the beginning of a sustainable, walkable, well-planned community in one of the Island’s most beautiful locations,” said David Butterfield, Trust for Sustainable Development. “We have worked hard with our partners to get to this point and we look forward to a bright future on these traditional lands.”

Spirit Bay is a $300-$400 million project and has been planned using vernacular architecture, which focuses on using local traditions and materials. The community will include brightly coloured, homes, each with a cupola reminiscent of seaside fishing villages around the world. Buyers will have a 99-year lease on their properties and home prices range from $259,900 to $1.5 million with sizes varying from 500 – 2000 square feet.

The Scianew First Nation voted 80 per cent in favour of the development last summer. Spirit Bay will provide economic opportunities for the Nation (also referred to as Beecher Bay Band) through employment and their 51 per cent ownership in the development company.

“This day is so important to us because it represents a brighter future for our people, the generations that will follow, and a new beginning for our land,” said Chief Russell Chipps, Scianew First Nation. “Throughout our Nation we are excited to be part of the unfolding of this inter-generation vision.” 

A presentation centre opens on site at Spirit Bay on May 10, 2014.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#192 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

I was lucky enough to be invited to the launch today, I'll have more photos and comments later.

John Horgan speaks on the deck of the sales centre:

10336780_781926051827069_565209706803364

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Is there cell service out there?

Know it all.

#194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Is there cell service out there?

Not at the site.  But on the way back, I had AT & T for a bit.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

...John Horgan speaks on the deck of the sales centre...

I assume he was speaking as the representative MLA and not as the leader of the Official opposition.

#196 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

1690533_782317861787888_2914726647164431

• James Bay walker likes this

#197 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

10346635_782326751786999_282112114864776

1535388_782326885120319_5919384907159979

David Butterfiled

10170772_782326888453652_688856646143780

Chief Russ Chipps

1508121_782326891786985_6435518842113911

#198 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:01 AM

Mrs. Sparky and I popped out to Spirit Bay a short while ago to see what was going on out there. Now that all the trailer trash is gone it is easier to see the beauty in the location. Looks like two completed buildings now and a third underway. A bit of a slow start, but heck, Rome wasn't wired in a day.

This model is really small, but a great cabin if you are going to spend a lot of your time out on the water.

SB1resized.jpg

These two have gorgeous views.

SB2resized.jpg

The views jump out now that the junk is gone.

SB3resized.jpg

• Nparker and AndrewReeve like this

#199 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

I guess to say sales are slow here is an understatement.  People hate leasehold, people are also not convinced housing on native land is stable.

3 homes built, one occupied, 2 being use as show homes.

Province, First Nation harvest ocean energy near Metchosin

First Nations and provincial politicians gathered at Beecher Bay near Metchosin on Tuesday to launch a pioneering project in sustainable energy.

John Rustad, B.C. minister of aboriginal affairs and reconciliation, announced a $400,000 grant to build an ocean thermal energy transfer system to heat Spirit Bay, a housing development already underway by the Sci’anew (Cheanuh) Beecher Bay band and its minority business partner, the non-profit Trust for Sustainable Development.

“When you think of the potential for the community it really is quite remarkable,” said Rustad. “And one of the most unique features is, of course, clean energy.”

Rustad said the money is from the First Nations Clean Energy Business Fund, created in 2010. So far, the fund has doled out $6.5 million in funding to more than 100 First Nations in B.C.

#200 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, I never thought this was a viable plan.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users