BUILT
Dominion Rocket Residences
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Dominion Rocket Residences is a micro-unit rental building in the former Dominion Hotel at Yates and Blanshard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dominion Rocket Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Rocket Residences at the Dominion (Dalton Hotel) | Renovated into rentals in 2015

Rental

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#61 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thought that's what the communal lounges on each floor provided?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#62 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

160 square feet is possible although the space has to be crafted by a skilled architect and the apartment must have customized multi-purpose furniture.

They are going to be "apodments", not apartments. I'd never heard the term before, and assumed it was a typo or transcription from a bad accent, but Wikipedia says an apodment is an apartment between 150 and 350 square feet.

#63 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Edited by HB, 11 November 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#64 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

I don't see any mention of seismic upgrading in the plan.

#65 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Here is a 1600sf condo in Vancouver for $7600/month or $4.75/sf and I haven't even started looking

http://vancouver.en....4053504881.html

I'm not so sure trying to compare a $7600 a month condo in one of the "most prestigious" addresses in Vancouver is example comparing apples to apples in reference to the intent of my post regarding rental rates.

If you were too look at most T.O.D. apartments, most apartments on the west end of Vancouver, most apartments in Kits a.k.a the apartments that people in a similar position would be renting you will be very hard pressed to find other than the odd few a unit in a professionally managed building to be anything close to 4.56 per sq ft. Burns Block and the related projects in Gastown were anomalies to the greater allowance of rental apartments in Vancouver. Heck the social housing complexes we've all spent our tax dollars in putting up have bigger units than that.

I've been heavily involved in purpose built rental buildings in the lower mainland over the last year and a half. if you are really pushing your luck you are able to fetch over $3.00 psf and that is for a brand new unit in a brand new building w/a small amount of amenity space such as a gym, that includes the rents in Blue Sky (Bosa) Development on Granville the projected rents in ALL Rental 100 and STIR programs in the city.

For a land lord to be asking 4.50 odd cents a sq ft closet in downtown Victoria seems utterly ridiculous to me from a sustainable, long term rental perspective. Sure from an economic stand point if you can get people to pay that, those are the laws of supply and demand and all the more power to you. It just seems ridiculous to me.

#66 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

My dorm room in University couldn't have been more than 100 square feet, and I paid over $3,000 per semester.

Sure, it wouldn't be an ideal living arrangement for me now, but at the time it worked.

And having roommates sucks. I've found that most people, even otherwise wonderful people, are filthy, disgusting, selfish slobs and don't like living with them!

#67 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

It will be interesting to see if it works out, I have a feeling it will for certain people who don't want a roommate and want to live downtown.

Thats an interesting comment about university dorms which works out to $750/month. Is that just for the room or did that include food, etc as well?

I for one could never live in a tiny "apodment", but to each his own. An old friend of mine many many years ago chose to live in a tiny apartment because he didn't want a roommate.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

I understand that UVic has already signed an agreement to let 50 of them - I assume as a downtown overflow residence.

This makes the conspiratorial part of me wonder if UVic has plans to operate a full fledged downtown campus. That would be a huge boon to downtown.

But as Bob wrote, if UVic has already claimed 50 units then the market has reached a verdict on this project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thats an interesting comment about university dorms which works out to $750/month. Is that just for the room or did that include food, etc as well?

Ahh I forgot about the meal plans.

So at UVic, for one semester a single dorm room is $4,061.50 (four months). This includes a standard meal plan, which is otherwise valued at $2,022.50. So, the room itself is $2,039.00 or $509.75 per month.

#70 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

This makes the conspiratorial part of me wonder if UVic has plans to operate a full fledged downtown campus. That would be a huge boon to downtown.

But as Bob wrote, if UVic has already claimed 50 units then the market has reached a verdict on this project.

Take what I said with a grain of salt: although it did come directly from the mouth of an operator in that building.

I doubt that it automatically means a downtown campus; several universities have off-site "alternative" dorms, after they have outgrown their footprint. My ol' alma mater, for example, operates a core of four dorms (including what was until two years ago a women's only dorm) and a converted (chocolate, I think?) factory about six or seven subway stops away. Recently, they purchased a hotel a few blocks east of campus and converted that into (really swanky, from what I gather) dorms.

A downtown residence would solve UVic's nighttime bus problem; however, at the expense of exacerbating the daytime bus problem. It also solves their parking problem, as most residents would treat it as near impossible to own a car and would therfore never be driving to campus.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

It's a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure 50 units will solve any transit issues the campus is experiencing. I wonder if perhaps UVic wants to get in on the game of English studies programs that are littered throughout downtown. These small units would be perfect for foreign students who are here for a period of 2 weeks to several months and prefer to be well within the urban core.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

HERE ***pdf is the plan.

Thanks.

Whoa! That's a lot of inside, windowless units, "light well" notwithstanding.

jbw

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

Thanks.

Whoa! That's a lot of inside, windowless units, "light well" notwithstanding.

jbw

Well, the Hudson has a light-well too. And you buy those units.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#74 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hudson has a courtyard, not a lightwell

#75 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

I wonder if perhaps UVic wants to get in on the game of English studies programs that are littered throughout downtown. These small units would be perfect for foreign students who are here for a period of 2 weeks to several months and prefer to be well within the urban core.

I can hear them now: 160 square feet in Victoria? What do I have to do to live in such spacious luxury?!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

A Camosun rep just said on CFAX that someone or other bought a motel on Douglas for student accommodation. He said Travelodge, but I guess he meant the Travellers Inn? The one that Mike Kelly owns and cleared the tenants out of... east side near Mayfair, outdoor entries.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Edited by HB, 11 November 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#78 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Anyone know how this is coming? Looks like there's work going on there lately.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Anyone know how this is coming? Looks like there's work going on there lately.

Ya there are a couple dumpsters outside on Yates.  Had to tell how much action there is going on inside.

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

Ya there are a couple dumpsters outside on Yates.  Had to tell how much action there is going on inside.

There are a whole bunch of plumbing elbows and stuff in one bin, they must be replacing all the plumbing.  Big job.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users