BUILT
Dominion Rocket Residences
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Dominion Rocket Residences is a micro-unit rental building in the former Dominion Hotel at Yates and Blanshard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dominion Rocket Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Rocket Residences at the Dominion (Dalton Hotel) | Renovated into rentals in 2015

Rental

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#81 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

i think the building is getting gutted

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

i think the building is getting gutted

Ya, after I wrote that, I thought, ya after 100 or more years, probably time to change the plumbing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

They are in the process of putting scaffolding up on the front side of this building. It's safe to assume some extensive exterior renovations are in the works!

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

They are in the process of putting scaffolding up on the front side of this building. It's safe to assume some extensive exterior renovations are in the works!

Ya, it's a war zone down here.  My office is smack in the middle of the ruckus.  Era, Dalton, and the repairs/refacing to Johnson parkade.

VICTORIA, Capital RD, BC Johnson Street Facade,750 Johnson St, V8W 0A4 TENDERS CLOSED ; TENDER 14-013 OWNER: City of Victoria, Greg Orton, 1 Centennial Sq, Victoria BC V8W 1P6 250-385-5711 Fax 250-3610348 PROJECT: Parkade repairs. Repair of concrete delamination and spalls on the North, East and South facades and select portions of the interior of the parkade; Routing and sealing of cracks in the North, East and South concrete façades; Preparation and painting of the exterior North, East and South façades; Clean-up. Construction start May 2014; completion by Sep 30

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

^ Yes, there's lots going on that's for sure.

Oh, they also put up some temporary railings on the roof so I'm going to assume the exterior enhancements include roofing work as well.

#86 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Yeah I was looking down onto the roof from another building and there's been work going on up there too.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

We now know the name of the project, Victoria Rocket Residences at the Dominion. VHF tells us that there will be some sort of a food court element to this with food court "pads" available for lease.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

We now know the name of the project, Victoria Rocket Residences at the Dominion. VHF tells us that there will be some sort of a food court element to this with food court "pads" available for lease.

They have a few signs up around the lot with the leasing notice for a cafe and the food court pads and the Rocket branding. Wonder how Foo feels about this food truck incursion on their turf. Unless they are going to have food stalls inside...

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Here's a snap shot courtesy of VHF

Rocket.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Haven't seen a good pic of the reno yet.  This was from August 31st.  I imagine the scaffolding is all covered in green netting by now.

IMG_6455g.JPG

#91 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

Not a big fan of the term Rocket Residences and believe that the Dominion name would've been better. Either way this will be another great step forward for this one block, along with the Era. Any idea when the renos here are expected to be completed, and whether they are adding anything on the roof, like an additional floor?

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

We don't have any info regarding an additional floor, nor do we know for sure when the reno will be completed. I'm guessing a year from now it should be at or nearing completion.

Know it all.

#93 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

No additional floors planned

#94 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

So they're painting over all the brick here today.

#95 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

painting it black.  Funky look, definitely less heritage looking. That should rebake the bricks in the summer.

#96 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

Across the road, been noticing  corner of Blanshard and Yates in front of the old Capital 6 has gone more sketchy than I remember before.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Here's a shot of that paint job. It'll look pretty slick.

IMAG1770.jpg

Know it all.

#98 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

Across the road, been noticing  corner of Blanshard and Yates in front of the old Capital 6 has gone more sketchy than I remember before.

Yup. An empty building with ledges to sit on and dark and unused recessed entryways right across the street from a liquor store? Seems like a logical place for sketchbags to gather. 

When I walk home at night after a workout at Studio 4, I now avoid walking down Yates and turn down Blanshard to Fort instead because that area and the parking lot beside it has become really sketchy, and I'm sick of being harassed by drunkards as I walk by. Women have to fear things men don't. 

Edited by sasamat, 05 October 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Here's a shot of that paint job. It'll look pretty slick.

Just hoping the cornice and window details are in appropriate contrasting colours. If they are dark they will get totally lost against the otherwise black facade.

• Mike K. likes this

#100 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

The black actually looks pretty good, although almost anything would be better than that orange. In my humble opinion the accent color should be a big brighter to make it pop more.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users