Photo

Victoria Kitchen Scraps Collection.. and its failure

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

A coworker mentioned this in passing today and it sounded ridiculous enough that I thought he must've been mistaken..

So I did a little googling..

Apparently, the money Im spending on compostable bags to put in the container on my counter that I then store rotting food in.. is wasted!

Yup, they took away the license of the composter in Central Saanich, have no backup plan, were thinking they'd spend almost a million bucks on digging a second big hole and Hartland and "storing" it there until they got their crap together.. that idea got shot down..

Soooo now.. they ship 'some' of it up island.. and the rest?

Yeah, it goes into the general landfill at Hartland.

Nice work.

http://www.timescolo...ctoria-1.635847

cakes..

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

Other parts of this country have been doing this for over twenty years. We have some implementation issues and some initial growing pains and people like you are already crying that the sky is falling and deeming it a failure. C'mon.

#3 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

what is it that demands that the provided frame work , that does not work, it still being used for useless conversation, The CRD , has not just failed, it is costing tons of our money. It would be better spent on wine and cheese parties, than trying to remedy this lame horse. There are other better ways than bacterially breaking down good food. Lets hear some,... Putting forth the using of clean food grade scraps to feed the bottom life of the ocean area, brought no responses. How about some other non bacterial,non smelly possibilities... Pigs could devour this stuff. And letting it rot for a week at home , and therefor degrade, can be remedied by keeping the bag in the freezer. Or would a few ruin the try by saying "how distasteful". What do you think feeds the BASA fillets, a catfish bottom feeder, raised in the Mekong Delta, that is gobbled up by shoppers. The citizen can do a lot better than a groupey paid, non elected CRD.

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

I would like to see local waste pickup change to a system that charges us based on how much we need it. Since I compost a lot and have chickens, my need for the kitchen scrap program is low. When it comes to garbage, by having to pay for the service no matter how much I need it, there is not the incentive to figure out how to cut down what gets thrown out.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I would like to see local waste pickup change to a system that charges us based on how much we need it.

Ah, ya, like they have in the more modern Western Communities. No need at all for government participation in composting or waste disposal at the collection level, just at the dump level.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

ya, the paint brush approach stinks.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

CRD committee votes to put a band-aid in kitchen scraps program

"At the moment material is being delivered to Hartland, where it is transferred into long haul containers to a compost operator in Cobble Hill."

http://www.cfax1070.com/News/Top-Stories/CRD-committee-votes-to-put-a-band-aid-in-kitchen-s

Seems like a lot of trucks driving around Willy-nilly at an increased cost.

Why not use...

Community Composting service began in Victoria in the spring of 2005, currently providing service to over 2,400 subscribers in Greater Victoria, Nanaimo, Parksville, and Qualicum Beach. We strive to aid our community in minimizing organic material entering our crowded landfills that could otherwise be composted. To accomplish this, we provide services to make composting easy, clean, and affordable. Community Composting Inc. is locally owned and operated by Matthew Mepham and Kyle Goulet.

http://www.communitycomposting.ca/

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

^They don't accept meat.

#9 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

^They don't accept meat.

Are people still eating meat? Well, I suppose so but even if they accept the health risks today, at current prices I'd not of thought there would be much being thrown out.

quote of the day:

Said Desjardins: “If you want to reduce the landfill, how do you ultimately get to do that? You have to look at waste to energy.”

I'd of thought you'd look at kitchen waste to compost so it could be used instead of simply being incinerated with a small recovery of some heat energy.
http://www.timescolo...ctoria-1.635847

jbw

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

at current prices I'd not of thought there would be much [meat] being thrown out.

In fact, when prices spike, more meat is thrown out, not less. William Rathje discovered that people stock up on unfamiliar cuts that end up in the freezer, then the trash.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

^They don't accept meat.

Your garburator will.

Heck, some people on this forum have put their Christmas tree down one.

#12 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

Can the City of Victoria do NOTHING right? Why does this council and city management continually screw up everything. Maybe because they don't pay attention to other cities that have had success with everything from Bridge budgets, to sewage to composting.
The level of ignorance and arrogance of the CofV boggles the mind.

#13 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

Can the City of Victoria do NOTHING right? Why does this council and city management continually screw up everything. Maybe because they don't pay attention to other cities that have had success with everything from Bridge budgets, to sewage to composting.
The level of ignorance and arrogance for the CofV boggles the mind.

As Mrs. Fugger and I were driving to work just now, we saw a garbage truck on Academy Close with one driver and three - count 'em, THREE - swampers. No wonder they are way over budget. When I worked on the Oak Bay pilot about 7-8 years ago, it was one driver and one swamper. The driver drove the truck and operated the automated tipper and the swamper walked along with the truck and hooked/unhooked the bin onto the tipper.

This backyard collection is a joke - if they get rid of it, they will solve the funding problem. Of course, I am biased because I will always have (at least I hope!) de facto backyard tipping, as I have laneway collection. :banana:

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

I wonder how many seniors would happy about lugging that bin out to the curb uphill in the freezing rain?

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Your garburator will.

Heck, some people on this forum have put their Christmas tree down one.

Except not everyone has one of those.

#16 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

I wonder how many seniors would happy about lugging that bin out to the curb uphill in the freezing rain?

For those that are too far gone to see that as a welcome challenge, could they just leave the bin out all the time and toss in their scraps on their way off their property? Or would that violate neighbourhood standards / present too good an opportunity for animals (the bins have pretty good lids, but they're only plastic). I suppose you could do as some do with their garbage cans: stash them in a tastefully done human accessible mini-shed at the pickup point (so long as the shed was unheated and too small for tramps to camp out in).

jbw

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

Except not everyone has one of those.

I think VHF has one available.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Comedy continues:

Ryan Price @RyanPriceCFAX 50m

Just in – CRD rejects plan to send kitchen scraps to Lower Mainland. They’ll go to Hartland Landfill until local solution found

• rjag likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

I suppose we can stop using the special compostable bags and simply throw kitchen scraps in with our regular garbage

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

I suppose we can stop using the special compostable bags and simply throw kitchen scraps in with our regular garbage

Some of us have never stopped doing this. :thumbsup:

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users