BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#641 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

So just like English then, got it.

Wait, you were surprised that RFS wasn’t totally gung ho about this?
  • Coreyburger, Matt R. and thundergun like this

#642 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Lol. I dont really care I'm just saying the crazy ever expanding phonetics are BS. Something like "esquimalt" makes sense. "sxʷeŋ’xʷəŋ taŋ’exw" is pretentious smelling of ones own farts. We are talking about what is for all intents and purposes a paleolithic language here

#643 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

they never had an orthography but what leads you to conclude that they're just making it up as they go? who's just making it up, the linguists who use that notation or the natives?

Linguists mostly

#644 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

...I dont really care I'm just saying the crazy ever expanding phonetics are BS...

As much as I am generally loathe to agree with RFS, I fail to see the benefit of overly complicating the written versions of local indigenous languages.

• tedward likes this

#645 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

OK let me rephrase. The CoV has selected a name that will be unpronounceable for 99% of users and staff of the James Bay Branch.

Correction 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of users and staff

Just another stupid decision by CoV council.  I'd like to propose CoV get taken over by a neighboring municipality because time and time again they have proven they can't make a good decision

#646 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

Correction 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of users and staff

Just another stupid decision by CoV council.  I'd like to propose CoV get taken over by a neighboring municipality because time and time again they have proven they can't make a good decision

A coup?  

#647 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

Ross Crockford once suggested we (the City) surrender to Saanich.
  • Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#648 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Disappointing that there are quite a few racial overtones in this conversation. Having been (incorrectly) racially  profiled and teased when I was young, suggest that some here need to look closely at what they have written, what they believe and how it affects others.

around 2% of Victoria CMA population is First Nations, so the statements above are either biased assuming that local First Nations don't use libraries or gross exaggerations.

• Coreyburger likes this
"I know nothing"

#649 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

Disappointing that there are quite a few racial overtones in this conversation. Having been (incorrectly) racially  profiled and teased when I was young, suggest that some here need to look closely at what they have written, what they believe and how it affects others.

around 2% of Victoria CMA population is First Nations, so the statements above are either biased assuming that local First Nations don't use libraries or gross exaggerations.

Oh ya, typical. 

Look, more than 2% of the population is of Scottish heritage or Far East heritage.  But those groups - as far as I know - do not want us to use symbols and lettering that the vast majority of us do not understand on signage or names. 

Did anyone consult Songhees or Esquimalt Nation residents on the name, or did we leave it to chiefs?

Just because it's a native issue does not mean our discussion is racist.  

• tjv likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#650 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

i hope the signage hasn't been done up yet, or if it has been, they fixed the w on the end of the l'kwungen name as it's supposed to be superscripted like the other ones. in every news story i've seen it isn't.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 25 January 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#651 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

.... "James Bay Branch" or even "James Bay Library" which is what everyone is going to call it, including the staff who work there - although not officially of course. [emphasis added]

That is an odd comment. "James Bay Branch" is the official, English version of the name. 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#652 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

That is an odd comment. "James Bay Branch" is the official, English version of the name. 

What I mean is that the branch will likely ONLY be known as the James Bay Branch except in official documentation and communications. The average library user will probably be unable to read or pronounce the first nations name.

Edited by Nparker, 25 January 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#653 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

This is correct. So why not give it a pronounceable and spellable name that some would win.
  • Nparker likes this

#654 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

I don't understand why they needed an online contest to come up with a name for the library.

#655 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

So the first nations name cannot translate to James Bay if the first nations name is the traditional name for the area- as there was no "James" Bay yet. So if they wanted to show respect- what English term would the original first nations name translate to in English, or does it.

****DISCLAIMER
Use of first nations name is because I don't want to try to make all the characters in the first nations name of the library with my phone keyboard
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#656 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

What is wrong with naming it "Songhees" Branch?

#657 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

Phase 2, which fronts Superior Street in-between Phase 1 and the Queen's Printer building.

Attached Images

• cap park1.jpg
  • cap park2.jpg
  • cap park3.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker and Bingo like this

#658 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

I have a problem naming anything after a slave owning culture but that may be because of my background. I would not be wild about it being called "The Robert E Lee" library either. I hate it when people just try to re fabricate reality.  

#659 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

I have a problem naming anything after a slave owning culture but that may be because of my background. I would not be wild about it being called "The Robert E Lee" library either. I hate it when people just try to re fabricate reality.

Great point. We should be Removing all haida sculptures to erase the painful memory of slavery

#660 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

I'm surprised we don't hear more about the violent past of our coastal regions long before the European arrival. The history of this part of North America, from the point of view of territorial expansion, epic battles, enslavement and even cannibalism makes for some extraordinary reading.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users