BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#121 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

Not sure if a petition and letter signed by 34 residents is considered any sort of opposition. Judging from the renderings, it doesn't look too bad. It reminds me of the old Victoria Accord proposal back in 92/93, which also included a streetcar line.

#122 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

Not sure if a petition and letter signed by 34 residents is considered any sort of opposition. Judging from the renderings, it doesn't look too bad. It reminds me of the old Victoria Accord proposal back in 92/93, which also included a streetcar line.

Would you be able to share the plans of the old Victoria Accord by any chance?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

Would you be able to share the plans of the old Victoria Accord by any chance?

http://www.victoria....sign-manual.pdf

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

The site as of May 06.

Capital-Park-May-06-2015a.jpg

Capital-Park-May-06-2015b.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

Another "inspired" project. This term is terribly overused. Still I look forward to this development going ahead. I have heard the tenants in the existing government offices on the site will be moving by the end of September. 

#126 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Does anyone know which buildings in downtown will for sure be vacated?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

I didn't think there would be any buildings vacated downtown, but I guess that makes sense?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:13 AM

Library Square is pretty old school and so is Robert Kerr. I could see government moving those offices.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

Which one is Library Square? The brick building in the same compound as the library?

Know it all.

#130 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

Library Square is pretty old school and so is Robert Kerr. I could see government moving those offices.

Robert Kerr for sure. Also that weird looking aztec building right across Burdett from it would be my guesses based on pure speculation.

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

http://victoria.citi...e-construction/

In James Bay a partnership between Jawl Properties and Vancouver-based Concert Properties includes 235,000 square feet of office space as part of Capital Park, a redevelopment of a long-vacant property adjacent to aging provincial government offices bordered by Michigan, Menzies, Superior and Government streets. The first phase, expected to move into the site preparation stage in the first week of August with completion planned for late 2016 or early 2017, includes 117,000 square feet of office space in a five storey concrete lowrise, 53 residential units in a four storey woodframe building and some 17,000 square feet of ground floor retail space between them. At full build-out Capital Park will encompass 175 residences and a total of 20,000 square feet of retail space in addition to the 235,000 square feet of offices. [Full article]

Know it all.

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Capital-Park-May-27-2015B.jpg

Construction of mixed-use Capital Park development begins in August

http://victoria.citi...gins-in-august/

Preliminary construction work on the first phase of Capital Park in James Bay's legislative precinct will be starting this August, according to developer Jawl Properties.

The mixed-use, multi-phased office, residential and commercial project bordered by Menzies, Michigan, Superior and Government streets is a joint venture between Jawl Properties and Vancouver-based Concert Properties.

The first phase of Capital Park, comprised of a five storey, 117,000 square foot government office building with ground floor retail space and a four storey, 53 unit residential building also with ground floor retail. The developers have not yet decided on the type of residential units, however, and may release homes as rentals or as market condos. [Full article]

• Nparker and D.L. like this

Know it all.

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

Excavation has begun. More: http://victoria.citi...5/capital-park/

Capital-Park-August-19-2015.jpg

• 2F2R likes this

Know it all.

#134 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

Across from the Tea Room at Menzies and Superior

IMG_9265.jpg

The old buildings are having the corrugated panels removed prior to demolition. They are not steel but they might contain asbestos.

Interesting to see the shiplap which was common for the era and applied on the diagonal for extra bracing. 

IMG_9264_1.jpg

IMG_9266_1.jpg

• Mike K. and D.L. like this

#135 western

western
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

This project is too good to be hidden behind the legislative building.

Are there many tourists, and other pedestrians in this area?  

#136 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

Are there many tourists, and other pedestrians in this area?  

Yes and there will be more if this project turns out like I think it will.

I am looking forward to the new public library branch.

• western likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#137 western

western
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

Yes and there will be more if this project turns out like I think it will.

I am looking forward to the new public library branch.

Is there a rendering for the new library? 

#138 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

Is there a rendering for the new library? 

Way to early in the planning stage for that. They have not even begun collating the results of the survey on what kind of branch people would like.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#139 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

The wood patterning on the old buildings looks pretty fantastic, in my opinion.  That would have been a lot nicer to look at than what they had on there. 

• thundergun likes this

#140 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:01 AM

Photo from Sept 18th

Attached Images

• Capital Park.JPG

• Nparker and western like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users