amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

market square area, government st, etc :cool:

Victoria's’s music scene held back by lack of venues
By Kyle Wells - Victoria News
Published: October 19, 2013 4:00 PM

Those in the Victoria music scene see it as a place with talent, and a receptive audience, but a lack of venues is holding it back from becoming something even greater.

“For the past five or six years, Victoria has had a really robust music scene,” said Stephen Franke of Blue Heron Music. “Having a good fan base here, and a big enough city to have success … has really helped create a little buzz.”

Franke manages Current Swell, a local band gaining international popularity. Franke said they made a concerted effort to “grow the visibility of the band” outside of Victoria and tap into larger, more lucrative markets.

James Kasper, a local musician, manager and president of Blue Water Gun Records, said the main issue holding back the Victoria music scene is a lack of venues where bands can play live. Kasper said there is a hole to be filled and the demand to support it.

“There’s tons and tons of great talent that hasn’t even seen the light of day because if you don’t have the venues, those bands don’t get to showcase themselves,” Kasper said.

http://www.vicnews.c.../228095601.html

#2 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

One venue that's greatly underused is the Beacon Hill Park Bandshell.

jbw

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

This has been a complaint for as long as I can remember.

However, the number one problem is a music venue requires a primary liquor license if it intends to host shows several nights a week and the City of Victoria is not exactly keen on more liquor primary businesses. Meanwhile situating a live music venue where a neighbourhood organization and nearby businesses/residents won't heavily object to is also a hurdle that must be overcome.

Places like the Bridge Street industrial area come to mind and lots of bands already practice. And with Crag X moving out of their space on Pleasant Street perhaps there's an opportunity to convert the space into (at the very least) an all ages venue that can apply for liquor sales on a per-event basis.

Most bands would like to at least recoup their operating and travel cost when performing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

jbw

I think I just heard Betty Gibbens's head explode.

#5 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

If the music's not really terrible, it ought to be enjoyable without the need to dull the senses with alcohol (or a liquor license).

I mean, enjoying music is not like sitting out nine innings at a baseball game, or at least it shouldn't be.

jbw

editted to add: But I see your point about wanting venues that are of a commercial (profitable) character.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 01:16 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.01.13-04_18_04.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 January 2023 - 01:18 AM.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 07:39 AM

Yes, alright! More alcohol sales!
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:34 AM

Interesting....kind of Back to the Future.

When dad hosted Club 6 on CHEK TV back in the day they often moved the show from the old studios in Saanich to tape the program in the curling club during the anniversary shows or special events like Valentine;s Day dances etc, and occasionally he'd MC a all-island 'Battle of the Bands' there as well. Often wondered why they didn't hold 'music' events there after that time. Must've been a licensing issue.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:45 AM

They've hosted a fair share of music shows.  I saw a few there in the 2000's.

You can see dozens here:

https://www.setlist....5d9.html?page=2

screenshot-www.setlist.fm-2023.01.13-12_46_38.png

Streetheart played there in 1978!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 January 2023 - 09:48 AM.

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:48 AM

Sure but C6 ended its run on TV in 1971; I don't recall dances etc being held there in the later 70's or 80's. Although perhaps that's just a faded memory. Back then there was certainly lots of parking and the venue is of sufficient size to hold a decent crowd. Licensing aside perhaps the NP neighbors were opposed. Not sure.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:51 AM

Sure but C6 ended its run on TV in 1971; I don't recall dances etc being held there in the later 70's or 80's. Although perhaps that's just a faded memory. Back then there was certainly lots of parking and the venue is of sufficient size to hold a decent crowd. Licensing aside perhaps the NP neighbors were opposed. Not sure.

IIRC you had to drink in a fenced in beer garden at the shows.

• AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:09 AM

I saw Matt Good at the curling rink. I can’t recall what the beer situation was like.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:11 AM

I think I saw Metric and Feist there, two different shows.  Not listed above.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 January 2023 - 10:11 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:15 AM

Cherry Poppin’ Daddies.

Wowza.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:32 AM

Interesting....kind of Back to the Future.

When dad hosted Club 6 on CHEK TV back in the day they often moved the show from the old studios in Saanich to tape the program in the curling club during the anniversary shows or special events like Valentine;s Day dances etc, and occasionally he'd MC a all-island 'Battle of the Bands' there as well. Often wondered why they didn't hold 'music' events there after that time. Must've been a licensing issue.

Lots of music at the curling club over the years, maybe they needed a special events license. One memorable show was Social Distortion. 2007…?

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:57 AM

Dixon said with the new licence, the lounge, which can accommodate 180 people, could offer a pre- or post-game hangout venue for Victoria Royals fans in the winter and Victoria Harbourcats fans in the summer, and perhaps hook into the city’s Cultural Spaces Initiative, which aims to establish more music venues.

“That sort of size of music venue, there just isn’t very many of them and we’d love to try and help fill that void.”

A liquor primary licence would allow the club to market itself as an alternative evening venue for the city, especially in the summer, when the club is largely inactive. “With Logan’s closing down over on Cook Street, I think that there’s a void that can be filled in this area for sure,” said Dixon.

https://www.timescol...c-venue-6372175

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:59 AM

One memorable show was Social Distortion. 2007…?

screenshot-www.setlist.fm-2023.01.13-14_58_51.png

• Matt R. likes this

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:45 PM

Oh I guess since white spot, Romeo’s and overtime closed there isn’t much in the way or food or drink around there. I noticed the arena itself trying to hustle more food business, and it makes sense the curling club wants a piece too!

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 01:07 PM

...since White Spot, Romeo’s and Overtime closed there isn’t much in the way or food or drink around there...

Indeed there is not.  :(

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 01:08 PM

You’d think the arena operators might step it up a bit.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users