Hurricanes and Typhoons

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

On Antigua? That island didn't get hit that bad. Not compared to Barbuda, for sure.

#42 todd

todd
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

The hurricane reporting why did they bother sending correspondents they won't even get out the hotel parking they need drysuits and stuntmen not Anderson Cooper. 

#43 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

Wow, ALL of Puerto Rico is without power, and according to San Juan's mayor, it'll be 4 to 6 months before power is restored.

From https://www.nbcnews....ic-rss_20170920

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz told MSNBC that the devastation in her city was unlike any she had ever seen.

"Half of San Juan is flooded at this point," Yulín said, adding: "We're looking at four to six months without electricity" in Puerto Rico, home to nearly 3.5 million people.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

I have more faith in humanity than that.  Just you watch.  Most power will be back on in 1 month, all power back in 2.

Watch Trump go to work on this one.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 September 2017 - 01:20 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

And another cruise stop gets destroyed... dang

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Just think about that power situation.  Where do you charge your cell-phone?  With some ingenuity, they will set up power stations every few blocks.  You can charge in your car, or a friends, but that's a very inefficient way of getting a charge (running the engine) and at some point, you run out of gas too.  I know, the cell service has to be back on too.  

Those hand-crankers would come in handy right about now.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 September 2017 - 01:45 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

Solar power must be the most efficient way to generate electricity on those islands as they don't get enough snow melt to have hydro power. eh!

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

Geez, I guess we know where ASE was planning on taking his wife.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

Solar power must be the most efficient way to generate electricity on those islands as they don't get enough snow melt to have hydro power. eh!

I'm sure you'll find most islands just burn diesel fuel for power.

EDIT, yup.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 September 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#50 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

I'm sure you'll find most islands just burn diesel fuel for power.

EDIT, yup.

"Gee, Pablo--I wish there was a better way to generate power than this awful diesel".

"What's that? I couldn't hear you over the noise of these powerful winds and waves".

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#51 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Geez, I guess we know where ASE was planning on taking his wife.

St Vincent & Grenadines actually :) - and thankfully too far south in general to be influenced greatly by Atlantic hurricanes. The plan is to hit this place: http://www.palmislan...s.com/index.htm

Sadly not at all surprised about the power grid failure in Puerto Rico, its infrastructure is positively ancient and is a weird hybrid mix of public and privately owned facilities.

#52 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

Sadly not at all surprised about the power grid failure in Puerto Rico, its infrastructure is positively ancient and is a weird hybrid mix of public and privately owned facilities.

And they are bankrupt, which is not going to help things.

• VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#53 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

....yup there's_that too, heh.

Pretty certain they're going to be looking to Washington for financial and material aid to get them back on their feet - "Look Don this Hurricane was yuge, just yuge I tell you....really, no really it was unimaginably yuuuuuuuge...and then it was immediately followed by an even YUGER hurricane!!" That should do it......

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

And they are bankrupt, which is not going to help things.

This could be like the Marshall Plan.  And the economic super-recovery Puerto Rico has been waiting for!

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

^Or the TVA.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#56 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

...  Just you watch.  Most power will be back on in 1 month, all power back in 2.

Watch Trump go to work on this one.

Five weeks in and just 26% of the power grid has been restored.  Two thirds of the island's cell sites are still out.  Only 53% of the north's drinking water has been restored...

http://www.status.pr/

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#57 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

cruise ships are returning shortly though. my December cruise itinerary is still going to San Juan. St. Maartin, changed though.

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:16 AM

LIVE: Homeland security hearing on hurricane response.   http://www.cnn.com/s...ideo-1?adkey=bn

#59 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

"This is not going to be a glancing blow. ... This is going to be a Mike Tyson punch to the Carolina coast" from Thursday into the weekend, Federal Emergency Management Agency associate administrator Jeff Byard said Wednesday morning. "Today is the last good day to evacuate," he warned. Florence, one of the strongest storms on the Eastern Seaboard in decades, is a Category 4 hurricane with winds of 130 mph. It is predicted to deliver tropical-storm-force winds by noon Thursday to North Carolina's coast, and hurricane-force winds and dangerous storm surges by late Thursday or early Friday.

#60 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

@NHC_TAFB
FollowFollow @NHC_TAFB
More

Wave heights to 83 ft were measured early this morning under the NE quadrant of Hurricane Florence. These enormous waves are produced by being trapped along with very strong winds moving in the same direction the storm's motion. #HurricaneFlorence http://hurricanes.gov/marine 

Note that 83 feet is about the height of the carillon outside the RBCM. Or probably the Empress Hotel minus the roof.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.