Photo

Vancouver bans the doorknob

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Little children might poke their eye out on the lever, but it appears a Japanese company is already working on a solution:

When the kids were small we had those plastic things that went over the knobs to prevent the knob from turning. Many parents had one on their bedroom door, but we had them on the entry doors to the house, and we were never burgled.

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

These things? 

door%20knob%202_thumb.jpg

I'm sure they'd say these are unsafe too because it makes knobs hard to use in an emergency.  God help us if we ever put locks on the doors.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think it makes sense install lever handles in general as there are so many people who have grasping problems with the knob style.  We had to change my client's door handles because he could no longer open his door at all.  Also the elderly, arthritic hands have a terrible time with the knobs. So I agree if when building an apartment building, offices, etc.

However, if you are having your house built, or choosing options for a brand new condo you shouldn't have to have knobs installed because 'it's the code'.  You should be able to have whatever you want.

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Incandescent Christmas lights will surely be next.  Good thing I've been stocking up on them.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes, actually.  And I'm pretty sure I've ripped at least one piece of clothing on the damn things too.

I've got a favourite T-shirt from the olympics with a nice hole it it from one of these levers... pissed me off. My new house has 0 of these lever handles, and I love it.

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

The story has gone global via The Economist:

True, elderly and disabled people find it easier to operate doors with handles. But so do bears. In British Columbia, bears have been known to scavenge for food inside cars—whose doors have handles, knob advocates point out. Pitkin County, Colorado, in the United States, has banned door levers on buildings for this very reason. One newspaper columnist in the pro-knob camp has noted that the velociraptors in “Jurassic Park” were able to open doors by their handles.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

^   "knob advocates" I love it !

#28 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

I don't get why a fictional movie/book comes into play here. Velociraptors are long extinct.

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Ain't no bear gonna be eating my porridge.

Seriously. I watched my mom struggle with doorknobs my whole life. She was severely athritic in her hands. We eventually installed levers, which was much easier. Still she struggled with doors outside the home all the time.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

I don't get why a fictional movie/book comes into play here. Velociraptors are long extinct.

But are they?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

But perhaps mammoths won't be. You don't want them busting into your home looking for mammoth snacks. Those prehensile trunks make quick work out of any lever. And they have no scruples. Mammoths are just bad news. Steer clear.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Now Vancouver has banned superstitious floor numbering. 

Across the city, many buildings with more than 12 floors are missing the number 13, jumping right to 14. It stems from a time when people also believed it was bad luck to step on a crack or walk under a ladder.

More recently, Vancouver has increasingly found itself approving developments with many more missing floors, including 14. From the 4th to the 54th, any floor containing a 4 has vanished in an effort to cater to superstitious Chinese.

“We’re back to basic math at the city,” Pat Ryan, the chief building officer said Tuesday. “It was very hard to justify why we were doing this if something were to go wrong.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz3wK2r1fHE

• sebberry likes this

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

This sort of thing I like. Good move.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

If you are lousy at math then changing the floor numbers will work, otherwise you are not going want to be on the floor right above twelve... or in some cases above three.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

Ya it makes sense. You can't generally pick your own street numbers.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

Donald Trump is famous for misleading people this way to make people believe there in a more impressive building.

http://www.gq.com/st...-the-floors-are

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

It's one building, the World Trump Tower in New York City, and he's not the only one doing it. The GQ piece is over the top in its bashing, IMO.

In real-estate there is only one key principle: location. Trump World Tower was built at a height equivalent to what would have been a 90-storey residential building in New York City at the time, maybe a few floors more, maybe a few floors less. Regardless, what he did was market the floor heights according to the average height of what his competition had sold before him or was selling. In his tower while you may have been buying on the 55th floor, that would equate to the 65th floor in a competing building. If both were for sale at $20 million, which would have the bigger sex appeal, the 65th floor unit or the 55th floor unit?

So what he did made perfect sense and has since been emulated.

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

I trust that people who are affluent enough to buy on the 72nd floor can decide for themselves if it's the 90th or 72nd.

Give me a break....

The guy licences his name for most stuff. People pay millions to be associated with him. So be it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

They're living on the 72nd floor-proper but paying for the 90th in terms of feet off the ground, so why not label the floors accordingly? I think it's a great marketing tool.

Know it all.

#40 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

I trust that people who are affluent enough to buy on the 72nd floor can decide for themselves if it's the 90th or 72nd.

Give me a break....

The guy licences his name for most stuff. People pay millions to be associated with him. So be it.

Just finished talking to a man in a Donald Trump brand suit, he had told me in the past he bought it at the Bay at a huge discount apparently because nobody else was buying them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users