Photo

Taxi / limo / car services

• Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#401 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Taxi fares are set by the City of Victoria. I don't know why people keep blaming the taxi drivers or cab companies for ripping them off. It remains to be seen whether Victoria and Vancouver require that Uber sets the same fares.

The taxi companies could certainly lobby the Passenger Transportation board for lower fares. They certainly have ample input. I'm sure they are quite happy with higher fares. It's not like their input is going to be lower fares please!

#402 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

The taxi companies could certainly lobby the Passenger Transportation board for lower fares. They certainly have ample input. I'm sure they are quite happy with higher fares. It's not like their input is going to be lower fares please!

I think that the taxi companies should be allowed to charge whatever they want like Uber. As long as it is disclosed when you hop in then that should be the level playing field we need.

• jonny and LeoVictoria like this

#403 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

I think that the taxi companies should be allowed to charge whatever they want like Uber. As long as it is disclosed when you hop in then that should be the level playing field we need.

As long as total cost can be given, like with Uber, maybe... not a cost per km with a time stipulation, and extra fees for stuff like airport...

#404 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

Lyft is expected to make a profit this or next year. So whether they undercut or not, that blows out your whole 'but they only undercut by spending investor money' argument.

Uber is different, trying a different approach. Ultimately, if they lose too much money, investors will bail. In the mean time, if Uber causes prices to drop and quantity and quality to increase here, all the better.

Lyft had $700M in revenue last year and $600M is losses. Although that was much better than the previous year you can't just straight line the numbers and say that they will become profitable ASAP.

Edited by spanky123, 08 March 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#405 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

Ya, this has become easier, for sure, with mapping apps etc.  The idea of caps was to stop unscrupulous drivers from taking you the "long way".

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#406 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Lyft had $700M in revenue last year and $600M is losses. Although that was much better than the previous year you can't just straight line the numbers and say that they will become profitable ASAP.

No, that's right, and hard to do considering the financials aren't really available. Still, multiple articles citing they are expecting profitability in 2018. They are growing revenue much faster than expected.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#407 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

Yup, and they are doing anything but.  

"Based on cumulative increases in CPI (BC), as set out in the Board Rule, “Taxi & Limousine Cost Index 2016,” of April 6, 2016, the Board approves requests from licensees for a TLCI rate increase of up to 2.9%."

"Taxi licensees in the Capital Regional District charge the same metered rates, more than 51% of taxi licensees in the CRD have requested a TLCI rate increase of 2.9%, and the Board is applying the 2.9% increase to all taxi licensees in the CRD"

In other words, they are pushing the board to adopt the max permissible increase

http://www.ptboard.b...CI_2016_CRD.pdf

• jonny likes this

#408 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Perfect, Leo. Like VHF said, Taxi companies have little to no goodwill with their customers. They are scared because they know they are extremely vulnerable. They are lazy monopolists at the trough.

#409 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Look, this may sound mean....but...  the average taxi driver is not studying for his masters thesis.  So when he has down time, it's wasted time.  The average Uber driver uses it for reading/studying or other constructive uses.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#410 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Uber's arrival cause for concern, Vancouver councillor says
Councillor Geoff Meggs says province is lowering standards to accomodate Uber

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4015196?cmp=rss

The Vancouver Taxi Association gave $53,000 to Megg's party, Vision Vancouver, before the last municipal election in 2014.

#411 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

For me, it is the convenience that I really like, more so than the price.

The last time I took a cab here, I ended up waiting Campus Honda for almost 40 minutes staring out the window.  Called Bluebird back for an ETA and was told "its on the way".  When a cab finally arrived i went to get in but turns out it wasn't for me, so I had to wait for another one.  Also, if you're trying to catch a cab in Vancouver for a concert or hockey game? Have fun waiting on hold for 20 minutes. 

With Uber/Lyft, I know when my request has been accepted, which vehicle is coming, and how far away my ride is.  I think If taxi companies here implemented similar technology, it would make them a lot more competitive. 

• jonny likes this

#412 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

For me, it is the convenience that I really like, more so than the price.

The last time I took a cab here, I ended up waiting Campus Honda for almost 40 minutes staring out the window.  Called Bluebird back for an ETA and was told "its on the way".  When a cab finally arrived i went to get in but turns out it wasn't for me, so I had to wait for another one.  Also, if you're trying to catch a cab in Vancouver for a concert or hockey game? Have fun waiting on hold for 20 minutes. 

With Uber/Lyft, I know when my request has been accepted, which vehicle is coming, and how far away my ride is.  I think If taxi companies here implemented similar technology, it would make them a lot more competitive. 

Many have it now. 

#413 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

I use the Victoria Taxi app, it works most of the time, you see the cab coming.  But once, the GM told me they switch it off at busy times.  That's kinda lame.

#414 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

What will be interesting to see is how the BC Gov't feels that $1M will help the industry develop a universal app that works with all dispatching systems. 

#415 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Would you set up a commission to decide that?  Hand out penalties?  Or just let businesses go at it?  In any event THE CONSUMER WON.

Clearly, you didn't read the article. The consumer "win" is temporary, but the eviscerated competition is long term. There is a heck of a lot more to the free market than low prices.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#416 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

Have taxis disappeared from the streets of New York? LA? Chicago? Toronto? Montreal? Seattle?

Why are you assuming taxis will disappear?

#417 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Look, even if taxis disappear, I presume their former drivers will be driving for Uber.  What's wrong with that?  Under Uber they are forced to have better customer service.  That's good for the consumer.

Here in Victoria lately we have a drunk taxi driver crashing on Gorge Rd., another driver convicted of sexual assault on his passenger, another that killed a woman on Oak Bay Avenue.  Hard to see how Uber drivers could be worse than these "professionals".

• Bingo likes this

#418 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

Many have it now. 

Good to know!  

#419 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

Look, even if taxis disappear, I presume their former drivers will be driving for Uber. What's wrong with that? Under Uber they are forced to have better customer service. That's good for the consumer.

Here in Victoria lately we have a drunk taxi driver crashing on Gorge Rd., another driver convicted of sexual assault on his passenger, another that killed a woman on Oak Bay Avenue. Hard to see how Uber drivers could be worse than these "professionals".

Hard to tell without stats. Here is a list of Uber incidents (from the taxi mafia) but still.
http://www.whosdrivi...share-incidents

#420 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Hard to tell without stats. Here is a list of Uber incidents (from the taxi mafia) but still.
http://www.whosdrivi...share-incidents

That's a small list, overall.  And it includes accusations.  My three cases here are proven in court.  

My Google search for "cab driver convicted" brings back 7,560 results.  40,600 for "taxi driver convicted"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users