Taxi / limo / car services

• Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#81 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

Tipping creates incentive for front line service staff though.

#82 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

Congratulations, you've invented the concept of tipping   :)     We are already doing exactly this every time we go to a restaurant.   Doesn't mean it's not a bad idea though. I'd much rather not tip people and have the cost of their living wage built into the product.

I think we established how much more people were willing to pay to support a living wage business when the restaurateur tried that approach in Parksville!

#83 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

^ From what I read, it seemed that restaurateur did a poor job planning that whole project out so I don't think we can blame the concept alone. And who knows whether the food itself contributed to the demise.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:20 PM

^ From what I read, it seemed that restaurateur did a poor job planning that whole project out so I don't think we can blame the concept alone. And who knows whether the food itself contributed to the demise.

Surely when at best a handful of full-service restaurants - out of the tens of thousands in North America - uses this concept, we can blame the concept.  An awful lot of smarter minds than ours, that run Denny's, or IHOP or Olive Garden have never attempted the concept.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

Surely when at best a handful of full-service restaurants - out of the tens of thousands in North America - uses this concept, we can blame the concept.  An awful lot of smarter minds than ours, that run Denny's, or IHOP or Olive Garden have never attempted the concept.

Just depends on the culture.   In many countries it is uncommon to tip, or if so just a very small amount, and the servers are paid normal wages (i.e. they don't depend on tips).   Of course it's hard to go against the culture in isolation.

• Nparker and thundergun like this

#86 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

Congratulations, you've invented the concept of tipping   :)     We are already doing exactly this every time we go to a restaurant.   Doesn't mean it's not a bad idea though. I'd much rather not tip people and have the cost of their living wage built into the product.

Well everybody pretty much needs to get groceries, nobody needs to go to a restaurant or bar. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#87 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

Good luck convincing servers to go from $40+hr to $15. Lol

Matt.

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Good luck convincing servers to go from $40+hr to $15. Lol

Matt.

Ya, people do not understand.  I used to run what might arguably be called the divest bar in town.  But it was remarkably profitable, and the servers never made less than $30/hour.  And $40+ in the last 3 hours of each night.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#89 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

I'm in the wrong line of work.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#90 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

^^ I loved that bar.

#91 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

http://www.salon.com...an_uber_driver/

An interesting account of being an Uber driver.

#92 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

http://www.salon.com...an_uber_driver/

An interesting account of being an Uber driver.

If you google Uber driver stories this is fairly typical. There is a reason why taxi cab licenses are limited and that is to make sure that drivers can afford to maintain their vehicles and make a decent living. No surprise that a business model that takes 2x what a taxi service charges while trying to undercut pricing isn't viable.

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

I saw an ad for some Rogers service that gave you a $30 Uber coupon. Weird.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

From Garden City - I'd like to share a story about a special person who lives in Victoria. B.J. Roberts is a honest man who now makes a living as a cab driver.

I had the pleasure of getting a ride with him last week. He shared a little bit of his life story with us... Living in Ottawa, Nashville and then Victoria. 

What was most important is how he has been a musician for 55 years and now has recorded his first album. He is 75 years old.

It's a pretty amazing album... Old country with a Canadian spin (with some French!). I highly recommend you check out his site - www.bjrobertsmusic.com or call him for a cab ride - 250-514-1404 it's a real treat. #thedreamliveson

1456035_411609322319930_1992353106428773

#95 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

So Uber is being sued for collecting "airport fees" and then simply pocketing the money. You really have to wonder if any of these Silicon Valley startups have any sense of morality or business ethics.

http://www.sfexamine...ent?oid=2913882

• Nparker likes this

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

Revenu Quebec Executes Search Warants At Uber Offices In Montreal

http://www.huffingto..._n_7283756.html

#97 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

Haters gonna hate. For me one of the best things about traveling in the States versus Canada is the ability to use Uber. This all feels more like old-fashioned and ill-advised stifling of competition to me than anything else.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

Uber launches lunch delivery service in downtown core Feeling hungry? Uber is offering up a lunch delivery service with meals from Toronto restaurants in the downtown core.

http://www.thestar.c...ntown-core.html

The meals will be priced between $8 and $12, before taxes, with a flat delivery fee of $3, regardless of the number of meals ordered. For the first two weeks, the fee will be waived in Toronto.

Uber will take an undisclosed commission from the restaurants for every item ordered, and drivers will be paid by Uber for their services, comparable to what they might earn if they were driving passengers at that hour, Knopf said.

During a test run, UberX driver Christian Kuhnle was delivering $12 porchetta sandwiches from Bar Buca on Wednesday. Orders are to be picked up curbside to save time.

Kuhnle, who is retired, has been driving his gray Mazda 3 car as an UberX driver since last November, and loves it. “I am busiest early in the morning until about 10, and then it starts again around 2 p.m.,” he said, estimating he earns about $25 an hour.

“The less downtime you have, the better your hourly rate,” he said. “Weekends are very good for me.”

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

This afternoon a Yellow Cab taxi driver demanded that I pay him in cash at the end of my ride. He said his machine was broken and he couldn't accept anything but cash. Upon entering the cab he never once mentioned that his machine was out of order.

This is the second time this has happened to me in several months, but today I called Yellow Cabs afterwards to complain. They said that never, under any circumstance, should a rider believe that a driver demanding cash can't accept other forms of payment and that if the driver has a problem with a passenger not wanting to pay cash then he/she should call the dispatch office and let them handle it. Apparently this happens often and it's a serious problem.

So lesson learned, if a cab driver doesn't want to accept your debit or credit card, call their bluff and call the dispatch office on your cellphone or demand that they call dispatch.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:28 PM

This afternoon a Yellow Cab taxi driver demanded that I pay him in cash at the end of my ride. He said his machine was broken and he couldn't accept anything but cash. Upon entering the cab he never once mentioned that his machine was out of order.

This is the second time this has happened to me in several months, but today I called Yellow Cabs afterwards to complain. They said that never, under any circumstance, should a rider believe that a driver demanding cash can't accept other forms of payment and that if the driver has a problem with a passenger not wanting to pay cash then he/she should call the dispatch office and let them handle it. Apparently this happens often and it's a serious problem.

So lesson learned, if a cab driver doesn't want to accept your debit or credit card, call their bluff and call the dispatch office on your cellphone or demand that they call dispatch.

Ya, it's lame.  I ran into that in Vancouver a few months back.

I asked a guy that's the head of one of the cab companies here, and he said it happens often, because the driver wants to take his cash that night, and credit/debit trips may mean some days delay in getting his income from that ride.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users