McPherson Playhouse

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

In my experience, there isn't a single large, civic theater in Canada that is staffed by volunteer ushers.

I guess my confusion revolves around how you not only accomplish being the only city in Canada to run a large civic theater with volunteer ushers, but then also get those volunteers trained in the mandatory skills required of ushers - like building evacuation training (monthly as mandated by the Fire Dept), FoodSafe, Serving it Right, and Level 2 First Aid - and THEN you have to get into the actual training to perform the specified functions of the job.

Perhaps small venues can get away with using a multitude of volunteers, but that (at least in my experience) simply doesn't appear to translate into the same ability in a large, civic properties like theaters and arenas.

Perhaps being an usher in a large civic theater has more to it than first meets the eye, and the reason there are no volunteer ushers in large civic theaters is reflected in that thinking?

The Superbowl operates with 10,000 volunteers, the Commonwealth Games here used volunteers, the Masters Golf here uses volunteers (they pay the tournament $80 to be there!), the HarbourCats use volunteers (27 games in a span of 63 days!).  So does Symphony Splash and all our runs.

No reason why this model can't work, if we just try it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#182 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

I think for popular events like those, it works. For a relatively small civic theatre, I'm not so sure. Particularly when they need people for 6-10 events a week, especially on weekends and evenings.

#183 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I think for popular events like those, it works. For a relatively small civic theatre, I'm not so sure. Particularly when they need people for 6-10 events a week, especially on weekends and evenings.

McPherson Theatre: councillor raises concerns over low use
City councillor says theatre is "dark" 11 out of 14 nights

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...empty-1.3350192

"The usage has fallen to about 75 [nights] a year," Young told On The Island host Gregor Craigie. "So it's about $10,000 a performance, even though it only costs a group $1,100 or something to rent it."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#184 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

^ due to what, costs?  

Chicken and egg problem here... jeez, they gotta work on attracting shows.

#185 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

^ due to what, costs?  

Chicken and egg problem here... jeez, they gotta work on attracting shows.

I agree, if they get that to 300 nights a year it is tougher to staff it up.  So agree chicken and egg.

#186 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

The Superbowl operates with 10,000 volunteers, the Commonwealth Games here used volunteers, the Masters Golf here uses volunteers (they pay the tournament $80 to be there!), the HarbourCats use volunteers (27 games in a span of 63 days!).  So does Symphony Splash and all our runs.

No reason why this model can't work, if we just try it.

Indeed, but none of those are civic theaters or arenas - they're special events (to a degree).

Special events the world over are built on volunteers, I've been one myself (on some events you mention) - but the points in my earlier post remain unanswered, in that there are quite a few binding requirements put upon a working usher in a civic venue that a volunteer doesn't have, and no other civic venue in Canada has volunteer ushers (presumably for the same reason they're not volunteers here).

Added to that, is the still unanswered question of the legally binding certification of the macpherson theater which to my reading seems to specify that all employees working in the building are members of the union (I found the document online, it's easy to find).

Too, I believe those stats quoted above are quoted with an ignorance of how theaters actually operate.

Half of the days and nights in any given year when the theater isn't performing public shows., and are listed as "dark" - the entire cast and crew may be inside the theater building sets, focusing lights, and doing one or two rehearsals each day.

Thus the "dark nights" noted in the stats above can be divided roughly by two for a more accurate look at how often the theater is used, which would make the theater busy at least 9 out of each 14 nights.

BUT to add to the conversation - those numbers are also from 2015, which was one of the years of the last financial crisis, a time when folks were tightening up their spending, and presenters weren't in a financial position to put on a broad spectrum of shows.

The arts are doing somewhat better financially in 2017 than they were in 2015.

• Bingo likes this

#187 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

I hear you.

Note:  there are thousands of volunteer fire departments in North America, with pretty high expectations and qualifications of staff.

#188 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Absolutely, volunteers and volunteerism are backbones for hundreds of thousands of important undertakings.

A massive number of "things" wouldn't be able to happen if it wasn't for volunteers.

I've been a very happy volunteer on a few events that were a nice blend with some of my personal interests.

Personally, I'm a big believer in the concept of volunteerism as the ultimate giving of ones time and expertise to a worthy cause.

BUT ... my posts were only intended to be read in the context of this thread and its topic. 

Noting that the "wishful thinking" prevalent in the thread usually goes nowhere, and that a practical examination of the actual issue was probably a better route to an effective solution.

In the simplest of terms, I was basically noting that if your arts company has a $500,000.00 shortfall in its finances, the kid at the theater selling chocolate bars probably doesn't have anything at all to do with your problem - and further if you focus your gaze on that kid as the source of your problem, then you're never going to work through your real issues.

I could be miles off base though, I base my comments only on what I read, and what folks pass along to me in conversation.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and lanforod like this

#189 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

So here is a proposal to spend another $24M tax money on another theatre.

http://www.vicnews.c...tellys-theatre/

Long-awaited plans for a theatre at Stelly’s were finally revealed at a luncheon at the Brentwood Bay resort on Tuesday, Nov. 14. Two theatre options, one at 450 seats and the other at 600, were revealed with their expected costs: $22.5 and $24 million, respectively.

Also, who is "Broda" in that article?  The person is never properly introduced before they go to using just his last name.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

So here is a proposal to spend another $24M tax money on another theatre....

An "angel donor" isn't necessarily taxpayers. Private money could finance this proposal.

...Broda said he’s been “bending the ear of every politician I can talk to,” with more meetings ahead, but he is looking for one key financial partner which he calls an “angel donor,” to make the theatre possible...

#191 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

So here is a proposal to spend another $24M tax money on another theatre.

Also, who is "Broda" in that article?  The person is never properly introduced before they go to using just his last name.

Yes it is poorly written, but is it Ron Broda. It would read differently if the comma was moved to the next word to the right.

Architect Terence Williams considered acoustics, sightlines, and a sense of intimacy from the start, but “in this case, Ron and Jan Heinrichs and the committee said, ‘that’s not good enough.’

#192 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

$22.5M for a 400 seat theatre attached to an existing building? We planning to gold plate the seats?

There is already a high school in the district that specializes in this field and a 300+ seat theatre 10 minutes away that is only occasional used.

#193 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

Yes, the Mary Windspear holds 350 or so.  I've never been an actor, but can't you rehearse on any old stage, then just have the grand performance at the big theatre?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 November 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#194 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

You can do rehearsals, but blocking and dress rehearsals are difficult without the actual space.
  • VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#195 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

A 24 million dollar theater in the middle of 10 square miles of farmers fields, with no street lights, no amenities, and no parking (for roughly 350 cars for a sold out show in a 650 seat theater)?

Maybe make it a just a bit more remote, just a bit more of a ridiculous concept, just a bit more like the building committee was on heroin rather than crack when they came up with the idea ... and maybe that "angel donor" will happen along.

Genius at work.  :whyme:

Edited by Cassidy, 20 November 2017 - 01:31 PM.

• Midnightly likes this

#196 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

I've never been an actor, but can't you rehearse on any old stage, then just have the grand performance at the big theatre?

What???? Say it ain't so.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#197 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

What???? Say it ain't so.

Well, in the 4th grade or so I played "Sailor Jack" in some musical.  That was the extent of it. 

#198 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Whew,  cardiac event averted.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#199 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

$22.5M for a 400 seat theatre attached to an existing building? We planning to gold plate the seats?

There is already a high school in the district that specializes in this field and a 300+ seat theatre 10 minutes away that is only occasional used.

Yup and I recently discovered there is a very nice state of the art 250-300 seat theatre at, of all places, William Head penitentiary. I presume paid for by you, me and every other taxpayer.

#200 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

Yup and I recently discovered there is a very nice state of the art 250-300 seat theatre at, of all places, William Head penitentiary. I presume paid for by you, me and every other taxpayer.

Can you provide more information? Last I heard, their plays were performed in the gymnasium.

[edit] Here’s a recent reference to the use of the gymnasium: http://www.cbc.ca/be...-head-1.4350674

Note the anticipated ticket sales of 2000, at $20 each.

[pps] There is a rather nice 300-seater at Pearson College nearby the pen. Perhaps that’s the one?

Edited by Benezet, 20 November 2017 - 11:05 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users