McPherson Playhouse

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

And the more it's used, the more incidentals start to creep up. Tax payers of a single municipality should not be subsidizing what are arguably regional assets, but saying that is starting to sound like a broken record.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

Well, I guess even if it's full 365, it's still needing $750,000 per year from the City.  The financials are still wonky.

Did you find some detailed financials?  Is it $750K in cold hard cash or is there a bunch of amortization in this too?  I wonder how this compares to other outlays in similar cities, as well as to arts organizations like the symphony.

#123 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:10 PM

^ I admit I failed to find detailed dollar amounts.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#124 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Same here but if they're allocating expenses 50/50 who knows if they have anything accurate that's publicly available.

#125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:21 PM

Maybe Geoff Young's report has details, dunno.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#126 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

http://www.timescolo...erson-1.2127784
  • Nparker likes this

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

Just a reminder, please include some context with links to articles. The TC's subscription system locks out anyone who has viewed more than several weeks in one month.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

Just a reminder, please include some context with links to articles. The TC's subscription system locks out anyone who has viewed more than several weeks in one month.

Right, I forgot. (I get around that by regularly deleting cookies, or by stopping the page from loading completely.) Here's the item, just a letter to the editor, which takes a good swipe at the T-C's coverage:

Coun. Geoff Young’s selective use of statistics is problematic and needs to be corrected. For instance, his use of 25,000 attendees is deliberately low. Actual attendance in 2014 was closer to 39,000. Many groups that rent the theatre (private events, corporate events, community organizations) will give tickets to their attendees, and these do not form a part of his figure. Our annual report, publicly available on our website (rmts.bc.ca) contains many of these facts.

The contributions from Victoria to the operation of the McPherson have remained unchanged since 2000, meaning that in real dollars, based on inflation over a 15-year period, the actual contribution by Victoria has declined by over 30 per cent.

Byron Smith

President and board chairman

Royal & McPherson Theatres Society

[Edited by admin to remove full article]

#129 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Both theatres would and could be full most nights and people would be going to them. The issue is the cost to pay the staff. This killed the theatre that I worked at in the 1990's as well and the unions can't see the forest for the trees. They would rather the places go out of business than have a cut in their pay. I would fully support an RFP that allows a private sector company to come in and run the theatres and actually have them viable and used and you know what if the they had more shows the people working there would actually make more money, just less on any one night.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#130 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

You have to wonder how Helps and Isitt think. http://www.cfax1070....l-for-help-subs

Did they actually think that the other munis would line up to take ownership of and fund Victoria's money losing projects?

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

You have to wonder how Helps and Isitt think...

You didn't need to extend your statement beyond this.

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

You have to wonder how Helps and Isitt think. http://www.cfax1070....l-for-help-subs

Did they actually think that the other munis would line up to take ownership of and fund Victoria's money losing projects?

Ya, kind of funny.  Look CoV, instead of pawning the thing off, why not look at why it loses so much money, and try to correct it.  For example, I'm sure schools would love to use it, if the rents were not so high.

screenshot-www.rmts.bc.ca 2016-04-01 14-04-16.jpg

#133 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:10 AM

Ya, kind of funny.  Look CoV, instead of pawning the thing off, why not look at why it loses so much money, and try to correct it.  

For example, I'm sure schools would love to use it, if the rents were not so high.

The schools are building better facilities that anything the McPherson has to offer, with Oak Bay High’s new state-of-the-art Dave Dunnet Community Theatre being one of them.

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

The schools are building better facilities that anything the McPherson has to offer, with Oak Bay High’s new state-of-the-art Dave Dunnet Community Theatre being one of them.

Some of them are, but the vast majority of schools have nothing other than the gym.

• tedward likes this

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

... Oak Bay High’s new state-of-the-art Dave Dunnet Community Theatre...

Wasn't that taxpayer funded?

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

Wasn't that taxpayer funded?

What isn't?

• Mike K. likes this

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

Somehow I missed this news.

The McPherson Theatre will soon have a new owner.

The City of Victoria unanimously agreed to transfer ownership of the McPherson Theatre to the Capital Regional District, in an effort to increase the theatre’s funding sources.

According to a report to council, “the McPherson Playhouse is important to art and culture in the city and the region . . . discussions to expand participants to the service are both timely and appropriate given recent events as well as the demonstrable, regional usage of the facility on an ongoing basis.”

The city has owned the McPherson Playhouse since it was donated by the McPherson family in 1963 and is managed by the Royal and McPherson Theatres Society, the board of which consists of representatives from Victoria, Oak Bay and Saanich city councils.

However, Victoria is the only municipality to provide funding to the theatre. Last year, the city kicked in $750,000 of taxpayers’ dollars, despite the fact that Saanich residents provided the highest amount of ticket sales, followed by Victoria, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, Langford and View Royal.

So I presume the City will continue to pay $750,000 per year, but will try to wind that down?

http://www.vicnews.c.../373857271.html

#138 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:15 AM

Oh gosh.  So in turn should Saanich charge CoV residents more for the pools we have, since Crystal Pool is a total hole?

#139 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

Oh gosh.  So in turn should Saanich charge CoV residents more for the pools we have, since Crystal Pool is a total hole?

If amalgamation is never going to happen, I wouldn't mind shared public facilities run by the CRD. Why couldn't unified police and fire departments report to the CRD, for example?

• Nparker and nagel like this

#140 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

I don't think anyone has suggested an alternative ticketing/admission scheme.

It might make sense for Oak Bay, Saanich, Esquimalt and Victoria to move to a regional recreation centre plan. 

• nagel likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users