McPherson Playhouse

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

Yes, that's correct! I don't know what transpired and how it transpired but eventually the union got back in.

Or course the reason why the union was busted up in the first place was their demands were too onerous. VIHA had finally had enough.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Most of the old cooks there referred to their emoloyment as "golden handcuffs". They, like me, started working for a few extra bucks, casual, on call, etc but the pay and benefits were so rich they woke up 25 years later still working there. :)

Matt.

#163 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

LOL ... I don't think any of the folks working in/on/around live theatre in this town - be they union or non-union would ever tell you that they're constricted by anything even remotely resembling any sort of "golden handcuffs"!

It's second hand information to be sure, but my contacts in the local live entertainment scene tell me that, even those folks who are full time theater professionals in Victoria do just "OK", with nobody getting anything close to "rich" - indeed with most folks freelancing any gigs they can find, and working like dogs just to get by (presumably some of these folks are also the union workers referenced in this thread who also work at the macpherson theater).

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

I guess what we often mean is that SOFMC hires 40 ushers for one concert and pays them $14//hr at beast, and 100 concession workers at $12.  And fills all the positions.   But the union shops with perhaps easier jobs feel required to pay $20+ to staffers.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#165 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

The issue with "overpaying" for ushers and concession stand workers is this: groups staging productions are required to hire them and they are a significant piece of the cost for mounting a show. So you end up with struggling arts groups, like say Blue Bridge Theatre (before the move to the Roxy) and Ballet Victoria, scrambling for donor money and government grants to supplement ticket sales income in order to stage a show, and then they end up paying a better hourly wage to the temp worker selling Menthos during intermission than they do the exceptionally skilled ballet dancer who has trained all year to perform.

This isn't as big a deal for the well-funded established groups like the Symphony and Pacific Opera Victoria. But the Royal and McPherson rules definitely hinder the smaller groups. It's a fine thing to support unionized workers and to push for a living wage and so forth. But the raison d'être for funding both the theatres and the production companies themselves, is the belief that arts and culture are important to a community. Maybe more important than well-paid part-time ushers.

#166 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

That highly paid union worker selling you Menthos might not appear important, but in the event of an emergency, she will also assist is setting the lifeboats and handing out lifejackets. At least that's how it works on BC Ferries.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#167 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

That highly paid union worker selling you Menthos might not appear important, but in the event of an emergency, she will also assist in setting the lifeboats and handing out life jackets...

Only during performances of "Dames at Sea".

#168 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

....and then they end up paying a better hourly wage to the temp worker selling Menthos during intermission than they do the exceptionally skilled ballet dancer who has trained all year to perform.

It would be very difficult discussion to have if one was to try and rationalize the discrepancy in compensation between such divergent occupations as a ballet dancer and a menthos seller.

Based on the years of training, and the incredible physical toll on the dancers body ... it makes no sense that a ballet dancer doesn't make as much as a criminal lawyer or a property developer.

But they don't, and I don't have an explanation for it.

IMO it's just not a comparison that can be made.

I'm hardly an expert, but I would wonder if the artists and arts companies local to Victoria aren't woefully underfunded by various levels of government when it comes to their development and production costs?

This chronic under funding i the areas of development and production would seem to be a more productive conversation than trying to rationalize compensation imbalance between ballet dancers and chocolate bar sellers!

Edited by Cassidy, 07 March 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#169 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

I'm hardly an expert, but I would wonder if the artists and arts companies local to Victoria aren't woefully underfunded by various levels of government when it comes to their development and production costs?

This chronic under funding i the areas of development and production would seem to be a more productive conversation than trying to rationalize compensation imbalance between ballet dancers and chocolate bar sellers!

But my rock band gets no government funding.  Nor does my pet rock painting courses.

"Arts" funding is odd all over. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#170 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

But my rock band gets no government funding.  Nor does my pet rock painting courses.

I did the BC Arts Council adjudication last year and your name never came up. Try applying next year.

• VicHockeyFan, http, Bingo and 1 other like this

#171 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

"Arts" funding is odd all over. 

That's actually a very valid point (well, except for the rock painting!)

There are a few important steps that assorted arts types presume are taken when it comes to any discussion of "arts funding", and those important steps can be very difficult to reach a consensus on.

• First off is that agreement has to be sought, and a consensus reached that substantial arts funding is actually a "very good thing" in a healthy city, and that a vibrant city (the kind of city where there's a massive construction boom in downtown condos) depends heavily on a robust arts scene where those downtown condo dwellers can leave their car at home and walk to any number of amazing shows.
  • Second is that very few, if any arts groups (symphony and opera included) can make a go of it on their own, with ticket revenue barely covering the cost to produce their next show.
  • Third is the agreement that, in order for the arts and arts companies to succeed in any given city or town, they have to be supplemented with grants from the public purse. This is not optional.
  • Fourth is the generally accepted understanding that the "arts" generate massive additional revenue, many more times their cost in the likes of hospitality, food and beverage, tips, gas, parking, building materials, etc.

That's a pretty complex list to get universal agreement on!, and yet that universal agreement is required for a city (Victoria and surrounding municipalities for example) to own and perpetuate a healthy, vibrant arts scene.

And "yes" ... rock bands don't really ever get an opportunity to cash in on these regional and local arts grants ... likely because such funding is more easily available at the provincial and national level, through things like the Canada Council and other large bodies more focused on the recorded music industry in Canada than a local or regional government ever could be.

However, that local or regional government should have a very strong interest in supporting local symphony, local opera, local musical theatre, local dance, etc ... but sadly, that support (at least in the Capital Region) isn't very obvious based on the minuscule (or nonexistent) funding offered (or not) to most arts groups.

But "yeah", arts funding doesn't make much sense ... unless you actually want to make sense in order to live in a healthy, vibrant city with lots to see and do!

( As a late aside ... I've lived in a small town with absolutely zero interest in, and therefore zero support for the arts, and living in that town sucked beyond words)

• Nparker likes this

#172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

And "yes" ... rock bands don't really ever get an opportunity to cash in on these regional and local arts grants ... likely because such funding is more easily available at the provincial and national level, through things like the Canada Council and other large bodies more focused on the recorded music industry in Canada than a local or regional government ever could be.

Elton John will bring in more revenue into the City (hotels, shopping, parking, restaurants) this weekend than the entire Victoria Symphony 2017 season will.

He's an artist with VERY wide appeal.  Why not spend public money to bring in more acts like this?  He's getting no grants to come here.

#173 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

First off, I completely agree with you!

BUT ... these big acts make so much money on their tours that to dip into the public purse would not only be embarrassing for them, it would also be incredibly scandalous.

It's why you never see the likes of Live Nation (concert promoters) or Ticketmaster (concert tickets) complaining about the lack of public dollars given to them so they can make their next 10 or 20 million dollars on their next big rock tour.

Outside of Broadway, the kind of big money something like an Elton John tour would generate is completely unknown to professional dance, musical theatre, opera, and symphony.

In other words, if money is your only goal ... it's way better to be Elton John than it is to be an anonymous viola player sawing away at the back of the viola section of the symphony!

#174 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

.... He's getting no grants to come here.

I would count the arena that was built with tax money as something of a grant :-)
  • http likes this

#175 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

But he's paying rent on it. To RG, not the City. It's big.

#176 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

Elton John will bring in more revenue into the City (hotels, shopping, parking, restaurants) this weekend than the entire Victoria Symphony 2017 season will.

He's an artist with VERY wide appeal.  Why not spend public money to bring in more acts like this?  He's getting no grants to come here.

I can see some restaurant and parking revenue but wouldn't most of the tickets been purchased by locals?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#177 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

I can see some restaurant and parking revenue but wouldn't most of the tickets been purchased by locals?

Lots, for sure.  But because he is not playing Seattle, Vancouver etc. plus all the up-Island crowd, I bet the influx. esp. since it's on a weekend, to be 2000 plus each night.

When I ran the club in the hotel next to the arena, it was always amazing to see how many came down the Island for shows of all types.

• Matt R. likes this

#178 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

It would be very difficult discussion to have if one was to try and rationalize the discrepancy in compensation between such divergent occupations as a ballet dancer and a menthos seller.

That's fair. But the relevant contrast is really between the mandated union employee at the Royal or McPherson and the non-union (probably volunteer) performing the same function at the Roxy or the Belfry. I'd like to see the government funding for the arts going to artists rather than ushers. Or at least I think it is worth a discussion.

#179 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

I'd bet the Splash comes close in terms of ec dev, but also a lot of those Symphony players would not be Victorians otherwise so as a result of us having a Symphony they live and work here and presumably buy lots of booze and sheet music and lentils here too.

And then there's this: http://vsmusicians.ca/biking-to-work/

You might think members of the Victoria Symphony couldn’t bike to work because of our fragile, valuable & often large and cumbersome instruments. How could someone bike with a giant tuba to rehearsals? Wouldn’t a string instrument be in danger? There are about a dozen members of the symphony who at least occasionally bike to work, and a handful who almost exclusively do.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#180 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

That's fair. But the relevant contrast is really between the mandated union employee at the Royal or McPherson and the non-union (probably volunteer) performing the same function at the Roxy or the Belfry. I'd like to see the government funding for the arts going to artists rather than ushers. Or at least I think it is worth a discussion.

In my experience, there isn't a single large, civic theater in Canada that is staffed by volunteer ushers.

I guess my confusion revolves around how you not only accomplish being the only city in Canada to run a large civic theater with volunteer ushers, but then also get those volunteers trained in the mandatory skills required of ushers - like building evacuation training (monthly as mandated by the Fire Dept), FoodSafe, Serving it Right, and Level 2 First Aid - and THEN you have to get into the actual training to perform the specified functions of the job.

Perhaps small venues can get away with using a multitude of volunteers, but that (at least in my experience) simply doesn't appear to translate into the same ability in a large, civic properties like theaters and arenas.

Perhaps being an usher in a large civic theater has more to it than first meets the eye, and the reason there are no volunteer ushers in large civic theaters is reflected in that thinking?

Edited by Cassidy, 08 March 2017 - 12:14 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users