todd
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:50 AM

^front page TC

#42 todd

todd
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:57 AM

Another possible reason: “New disease suspected to have killed over 60 deer on B.C.'s Gulf Islands“: https://www.cbc.ca/n...lands-1.5748622

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 35,235 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:59 AM

Launch your layak or fish off the rocks on your own oceanfront property! This acreage slopes gently toward the ocean with easy access to the water's edge and has numerous spectacular potential building sites. Situated on Greenleaf Lane, a short walk from the dock at Miners Bay and the Woodpecker Pond Conservancy, the lot enjoys outstanding easterly views across Miners Channel towards Halibut Island, Stuart Island in the US San Juans & the top end of Haro Strait. The lot is beautifully treed with large fir, cedar and arbutus trees that provide cool shade and privacy. Sidney Island is a private Island with miles of sandy beaches, protected community dock, excellent community airstrip & fulltime Island Manager. 

$459,000

SL 30 Sidney Island

https://www.realtor....d-sidney-island

880152_5.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2021 - 05:59 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#44 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 12,428 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:28 AM

Hard to find a layak these days.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#45 todd

todd
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:45 AM

Hard to find a layak these days.

it’s Indonesian for “worth it”

#46 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 35,235 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 05:59 AM

Strata Lot 30, 2.42 acres with 291 ft. of east facing oceanfront enjoys incredible sunrises and the summer sunsets provide spectacular light on the view across Miner's Channel to Halibut Island, Haro Strait and beyond to Mount Baker. An exceptional east facing property a large portion is flat with beautiful building sites and gradual slope to the ocean and easy trail access to the water. The shared drilled well is connected to the adjacent lot but not yet to this property. The property is bright and beautifully treed with fir, cedar and arbutus. It is in easy walking distance of the dock and the popular swimming pond at the Kingfisher Conservancy. This is an exceptional Sidney Island property that must be seen to appreciate. Sidney Island is the most southerly Gulf Island and BC's best oceanfront value with a rock breakwater protecting its community dock, private 2,600 ft. airstrip, miles of sandy beaches and trails, super popular swimming hole, heritage orchard, full time island caretaker, 107 acres of conservancy zones, manages forest and a real sense of community.

The 1,343 acres of common property shared by the owners of the 111 lots on Sidney Island is larger than Stanley Park.

$528,000

https://www.realtor....d-sidney-island

914745_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2022 - 06:00 AM.

#47 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 06:43 AM

Sidney Island would be a nice weekend retreat, and that side of the Island fells like it's miles away from civilization - yet it's close to town and easily accessible by boat from anywhere, even the Inner Harbour.

The downside would be that all of the Southern Gulf Islands have the heavy hand of Islands Trust hanging over them at all times, dictating what you can, or can't do on or with your property.

The less developed any Gulf Island might be (and Sidney Island is extremely under-developed), the more Islands Trust wants to keep it exactly as it is.

No Regional District which overlaps the Islands Trust jurisdiction can override any Islands Trust edict or decision ... so before you shell out your $528,000.00, be sure you know what you're getting into.

Start off with constructing a septic field, on an island with no contracting services ... be prepared for Islands Trust to cut you no breaks, and be prepared to write a cheque for somewhere between $50,000.00 and $80,000.00

... and that's just the beginning.

Add to the mix that Islands Trust is becoming renowned for its questionable (or terrible) governance, and you've got yourself a brewing nightmare if you're a property owner on an undeveloped Gulf Island:

https://www.gulfisla...ce-improvement/

Edited by Spy Black, 19 September 2022 - 06:43 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#48 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 07:56 AM

What are you talking about, everyone loves the Trust. 😀
  • Redd42 and Spy Black like this

#49 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 01:15 PM

What are you talking about, everyone loves the Trust.

I'm guessing they are worse than my last condo board.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 71,974 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 05:30 PM

When I was looking to buy a place on Mayne, the realtor who I met with said “you’ve surely heard of the Trust, yes?”
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:59 AM

Best way to deal with the trust is to stay off the radar, for sure. Same with the crd.

#52 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 11:05 AM

Lot's of rat-finks and spies on Sidney Island though ... too many!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#53 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:35 PM

Best way to deal with the trust is to stay off the radar, for sure. Same with the crd.

How exactly does one manage to stay off the radar of the trust?

#54 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:37 PM

When I was looking to buy a place on Mayne, the realtor who I met with said “you’ve surely heard of the Trust, yes?”

Kind of when I was looking at property on the peninsula and would occasionally see listings that said "Not in Dean Park!"

• Mike K. likes this

#55 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:51 AM

How exactly does one manage to stay off the radar of the trust?

Build a tall fence and don’t tell anyone what you are doing, or at least keep it on the DL.

#56 lanforod

lanforod
  • 9,056 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:12 AM

and here I was thinking it involved some money under the table...

#57 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 12:59 PM

Nah, the whole it’s better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission thing.
  • Nparker and Teardrop like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users