Gracepoint television series

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

The American remake of a top-rated British TV crime series will give Greater Victoria’s film and TV production industry a shot in the arm next year.

Joe Schlosser, head of communications for Shine America, confirmed Thursday that Gracepoint, the Los Angeles-based production company’s American remake of the hit ITV series Broadchurch, will begin shooting “in the Greater Victoria area in late January.”

David Tennant, the Scottish actor of Dr. Who fame who plays Det. Inspector Alec Hardy in Broadchurch, will play Det. Emmett Carver in the 10-part series Fox television plans to air in its 2014-15 season. Anna Gunn, best known as Skyler White on Breaking Bad, co-stars as Det. Ellie Miller, Carver’s conflicted new partner. Jacki Weaver, the Australian actress who earned an Oscar nomination for her role as the mother of Bradley Cooper’s character in Silver Linings Playbook, plays Susan Wright, a reclusive mystery woman who lives with her dog in an RV park.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.bvMXUZUw.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

Broadchurch was a great series. This version has big shoes to fill. Filming here makes sense if you have seen the original series.

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

The Fox version will be called Gracepoint.   Here are some details from the Hollywood Reporter

Ahead of the network's Thursday presentation to the Television Critics Association, Fox handed out a series order to the adaption of Broadchurch, the U.K.'s most-watched drama of the new year.

Series creator Chris Chibnall (Dr. Who, Camelot) will executive produce the new incarnation, with production beginning in January for a debut during the 2014-15 season.

Set in an American town, Broadchurch (working title) follows the tragic and mysterious death of a young boy found dead on an idyllic beach surrounded by rocks and a jutting cliff-face from where he might have fallen. Although the cause of his death remains unsolved, the picturesque seaside town where the tragedy occurred is at the heart of a major police investigation and a nationwide media frenzy.

Chibnall will pen the premiere episode and executive produce the series with Shine America's Carolyn Bernstein (The Bridge) and Jane Featherstone (The Hour, Utopia) from drama producers Kudos. The series will be distributed by Shine International.

"Broadchurch is the kind of storytelling that grabs your attention and keeps you riveted with every minute -- which is exactly what we look for in an event series," Fox entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly said. "We love the layered characters, we've seen how well-received it's been in the U.K., and we're lucky to be able to bring a new version of this mystery to the U.S. audience."

Broadchurch joins a slate of event series at Fox, including the revival of 24 with Kiefer Suthlerland and M. Night Shyamalan and Chad Hodge's Matt Dillon starrer Wayward Pines as the network looks to miniseries in a bid for prestige and to create DVR-proof fare.

"We are thrilled that this compelling series from creator Chris Chibnall and our sister company Kudos is going to be adapted for the American TV audience,” Shine America CEO Rich Ross said. “And Fox is the perfect partner to help make Broadchurch an event here in the U.S. as it was earlier this year for millions of British viewers.”

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

David Tennant was great in Doctor Who. This doesn't sound liky my type of TV show though. I might try to to catch him while he's here and get an autograph though.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

David Tennant was great in Doctor Who...

He was also very good in the British version of Broadchurch. I will be interesting to see his take on the character this time around.

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

We watched Broadchurch but it took awhile to get into it, a little faster pace might have helped.

Did anyone else watch Top of the Lake?

We wanted to stop watching it but had too much time invested in it to quit.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

What is "DVR-Proof fare" ??

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:28 AM

I would think DVR-Proof fare is the latest version of "appointment television", which is basically a show you have to watch as its broadcast, instead of waiting to see it later.  The hope being that you'll then sit through the commercials, instead of skipping them.

#9 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

We watched Broadchurch but it took awhile to get into it, a little faster pace might have helped.

Did anyone else watch Top of the Lake?

We wanted to stop watching it but had too much time invested in it to quit.

We're thinking about trying Top of the Lake but have been so disappointed by so many critically acclaimed series (Luther, The Hour, Homeland, The Killing), that I'm wary of this one. We liked Broadchurch well enough but thought the best thing about it was Olivia Colman.

#10 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

I would think DVR-Proof fare is the latest version of "appointment television", which is basically a show you have to watch as its broadcast, instead of waiting to see it later.  The hope being that you'll then sit through the commercials, instead of skipping them.

What could possibly be done to a show to make it necessary to watch in in real time?

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

I gave up on Top of the Lake after 4 episodes.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

What could possibly be done to a show to make it necessary to watch in in real time?

Have twists and spoilers that if you watch it afterwards. will be ruined for you by your friends and workmates.

#13 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Everyone could be talking about it, and ruin it for you.  How I have managed to avoid hearing the end of Breaking Bad, I don't understand...

Ooops, what Danma said!

Edited by jklymak, 17 December 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

So filming starts January 27th.

You've probably already seen an old pharmacy on OB Ave, is the newspaper office.

The dead kid will be found at Island View beach.

Some buildings by the Rumrunner in Sidney will be the police station and morgue.

Rumours have it that the ending might be different than Broadchurch ie. a different person dunnit...

THIS DT BLOG has good coverage.

Presently, the former site of the Captain's Table and Mineral World in the small town on Vancouver Island, BC is undergoing a transformation into sets for Gracepoint morgue and police station.

The town also anticipates that the production will bring around 200 people to work in the area, with obvious benefits to the local economy and profile.

Michael Cronquist, of the Marker Group which owns the building, said the production company chose the location via the Vancouver Island South Film Commission as it suited the setting of the series.

“They liked the waterfront location of the building,” he said.

Local mayor Larry Cross said, “It’s a big production and it should bring some added economic activity to Sidney. I understand [Broadchurch] was very popular in England. I think this one (Gracepoint) will be successful here.”

CHEK 6 story on Oak Bay stuff.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Filming set to begin I guess.  Anybody seen the stars yet?

gunn.jpg

tennant.jpg

nolte.jpg

pena.jpg

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

Michael Pena at airport.

penafan.jpg

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

Oh, I forgot Jackie Weaver will be here.

weaver2.jpg

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

David Tennant ...
 Emmett Carver (2014)
MV5BMTEwOTM3NjkxNTZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDkw Kevin Zegers ...
 Owen (2014)
MV5BMTczNzcxNTE5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE4 Michael Peña ...
 Mark Lasseter
MV5BMTU1ODAzMDk3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTEz Nick Nolte ...
 Jack Reinhold
MV5BNDYyOTg4NjkxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA4 Jacki Weaver ...
 Susan Wright
MV5BMjYxMjIwNTE0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk2 Kendrick Sampson ...
 Dean Iverson (2014)
MV5BMjIwMTM2MDg2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQz Virginia Kull ...
 Beth (2014)
MV5BMjI4NjUyNzQyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ5 Darcy Laurie ...
 Hugo Garcia (2014)

At least some of the cast is staying at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel, and they had a cast dinner there last night.

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

The Cliffs

IMG_0135.jpg

Police station

IMG_0145.jpg

Carpentry Shop ?

IMG_0146.jpg

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

I ❤ Downtown Victoria on Facebook is paying out $25 each day for the best star shoot.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users