Photo

Suicide in the media

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 jonny

jonny
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Chris Cornell dies at midnight last night, and less than 12 hours later the autopsy done and the cause of death is released.  No privacy in the media when it comes to celebrity suicide.

http://www.independe...s-a7743691.html

No kidding. I guess they were able to put a rush order on things?

Pretty eerie watching clips from his performance last night when you know he offed himself a few hours later. Suicide is weird.

#142 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,670 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Speed seems to be normal with high profile deaths. The coroner said a couple hours ago Roger Ailes died of bleeding on the brain caused by fall at home and that was only this morning the news broke.

#143 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,147 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

Suicide.  But nobody wants to say it.

http://www.timescolo...ound-1.22758329

#144 3isenough

3isenough
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Why should they have to? She has a young daughter that will eventually be able to read all these media articles and public postings, there's no need for the graphic gory details of the nature of her death. It's implied. Let's be respectful; she didn't make a public spectacle of it so why should it be made one for the sake of nosy nellies?

#145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,147 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Why should they have to? She has a young daughter that will eventually be able to read all these media articles and public postings, there's no need for the graphic gory details of the nature of her death. It's implied. Let's be respectful; she didn't make a public spectacle of it so why should it be made one for the sake of nosy nellies?

I never suggested it needs to be gory.  I don't need to know exactly how it happened, the exact method.  But I'd just like someone to call it suicide, rather than "imply" anything.  That's not how news reporting is supposed to work.  State the facts, then let's move on.  I mean, for gosh sakes, assisted suicide is legal now.  We can talk about it.  Time for news media to do that.    

#146 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,147 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

she didn't make a public spectacle of it so why should it be made one for the sake of nosy nellies?

Well, she had people searching for her, and her disappearance was all over the news Canada-wide.  That seems like a bit of a public spectacle.  If she had just hung herself at home and left a clear note, we'd never hear about it.  It's all over the news now because she chose to do it this way.

#147 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

I mean, for gosh sakes, assisted suicide is legal now.  We can talk about it.  Time for news media to do that.    

I suppose there can be assisted suicide made to look unassisted but then investigators would discover that by examining the facts and the clues, but those things can be overlooked.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#148 Benezet

Benezet
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

I never suggested it needs to be gory. I don't need to know exactly how it happened, the exact method. But I'd just like someone to call it suicide, rather than "imply" anything. That's not how news reporting is supposed to work. State the facts, then let's move on. I mean, for gosh sakes, assisted suicide is legal now. We can talk about it. Time for news media to do that.

If the cause of death hasn't been released by the authorities or given by, say, family and friends, or witnesses, then the bona fide media can't just go reporting as fact what they think it is – no matter how probable it might be. I think you've known that all along.

This discussion of the reporting of suicide (or lack thereof) is getting nowhere, and if it were up to me I'd close this thread and replace with an actual discussion of suicide prevention.

http://www.mysteriousbarricades.org
  • weirdie likes this

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,147 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

I don't want the thread to close.  

And get this, I'm not even a huge fan of suicide prevention.  I think it might be perfectly reasonable for a very, very small portion of the population, that they choose to no longer live.  I'm a fan of just letting them make that choice.  

Now watch this, to really get you going, I'll tie it to Global Climate Change.  Just like there are many positives to climate change (but nobody wants to talk about them for some reason) there might also be an upside to letting people kill themselves.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 September 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#150 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

And get this, I'm not even a huge fan of suicide prevention.  I think it might be perfectly reasonable for a very, very small portion of the population, that they choose to no longer live.  I'm a fan of just letting them make that choice.  

Now watch this, to really get you going, I'll tie it to Global Climate Change.  Just like there are many positives to climate change (but nobody wants to talk about them for some reason) there might also be an upside to letting people kill themselves.

I think you will find that prevention is difficult. The people who threaten to kill themselves to others are actually asking to be helped in many cases.

The people who show no outward signs that they are thinking about suicide might be closer to pulling it off away from prying eyes.

• 3isenough likes this

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#151 LJ

LJ
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

I'm betting that you could give us a list of names of people you wish would make that choice.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users