Predictions for 2015

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

Another earthquake or tsunami will claim 50000+ lives.

2 major pipelines will be approved (likely Northern Gateway, and possibly Keystone; Kinder Morgan in 2015, if ever)

Victoria will have a heat wave in May and a soggy June

USA further relaxes embargoes on Cuban products

A G8 leader is assassinated

2.5/5

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

Enbridge gets the go-ahead for Northern Gateway, but the feds have to step in and guarantee funding in order for preliminary work to begin, due to potential court challenges.  But preliminary work begins.

Relative peace in the Middle East, the fading of the Arab Spring.

Good weather locally, starting in May and running all summer, relatively good tourism numbers.

2.5/3

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

At least one, but no more than three rumors from "an official source" stating that Ikea will be opening up somewhere on the island. 

?/1

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

Canada invades Greenland with stated intent of securing Northwest Passage, citing Denmark's wanton disregard of piracy on the Arctic Ocean.

There was some action here, but the other way around mostly.

0/1

#25 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

"Relative peace in the Middle East, the fading of the Arab Spring"

Given the situation that has escalated in Syria, and the emergence of ISIS, I think your prediction was a miss.

• Nparker likes this

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

"Relative peace in the Middle East, the fading of the Arab Spring"

Given the situation that has escalated in Syria, and the emergence of ISIS, I think your prediction was a miss.

That's what happens when you let me mark my own paper I guess.

OK, 2/3.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

0 for 3.

That's why I have made some more realistic predictions for 2015.

#28 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Only wild one I can think of offhand for 2015:

-Canadian Dollar touches 1.30 USDCAD

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

OK...

We will have a sewage plan that involves at least one big plant either on CoV land, or native land, or both.  West Shore will either join this plan, or won't have one yet out there.

Esquimalt town centre gets nowhere substantial.

No passenger ferry service from Sidney to the Island materializes.

#30 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

Someone will propose building a bridge from the mainland.
  • D.L. likes this

#31 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Victoria and Esquimalt will integrate another municipal service (ie. municipal works, fire, etc...)

#32 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

Lisa Helps will either be thrown out of office or resign

• sdwright.vic and D.L. like this

#33 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

An Oak Bay resident will expire.

• Nparker likes this

#34 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

At least one more major scandal involving Atwell.

• Matt R. likes this

#35 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

BC Hydro will buy Jordan River park from the CRD under the guise of making up for rendering it useless. They will continue to pressure residents of the area and successfuly purchase the restaurant and a handful of houses. Going for the ghost town effect to try and force the other residents out. This will put them one step closer to sitting on a real estate goldmine after they build their new larger power station with no resistance from residents...because their are no residents...

#36 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

More delays building the Johnson St. Bridge, more going over budget, more assurances that everything is okay.

Sundance school property sold to make up SD61 budget shortfall.

No progress on sewage.

Victoria infrastructure problems used as an excuse for more traffic calming measures, as city works extra hard to make people not want to come downtown.

#37 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

Douglas St closure to cards is a huge success drawing thousands of people downtown to take in the food carts, live music and enjoying a public space they don't often get to use.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

Douglas St closure to cards is a huge success...

What sort of cards are not going to be allowed access to Douglas Street? Credit cards? Business cards? Playing cards?

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#39 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

What sort of cards are not going to be allowed access to Douglas Street? Credit cards? Business cards? Playing cards?

I was hoping to have some funny reply, but I got nothing.

• Nparker likes this

#40 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

We will start to see more development applications to the City of Victoria just outside of the downtown core area plan. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users