• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Population-within-150-kilometer-radius-of-Victoria-BC.jpg

A thread on VV's big brother site SkyscraperPage posed the question of population within a 150 kilometer radius of cities in Canada, which got me thinking and crunching numbers in regards to Victoria.

To the best of my ability I came up with the following figures centered from Yates and Douglas streets in downtown Victoria.

British Columbia Mainland

Vancouver Metro: 2,313,328

Fraser Valley Regional District****: 268,561

Gambier Island: 200

Gibsons: 4,182

Squamish: 17,158

TOTAL: 2,599,247

Vancouver Island & Islands

Victoria Metro/CRD: 359,991

Regional District of Nanaimo: 146,567

Cowichan Valley Regional District: 76,929

Port Alberni: 17,743

Bamfield: 155

TOTAL: 601,385

Washington State

Seattle Metro: 3,552,157 minus* 259,012 = 3,293,145

Clallam County: 71,863

Grays Harbor County: 71,692 minus** 51,837 = 19,855

Jefferson County: 29,854

Kitsap County: 254,991

Mason County: 60,832

Skagit County: 118,222

Snohomish County***: 50,880

Whatcom County: 205,262

TOTAL: 4,104,904

Population within 150 kilometers of downtown Victoria:

*Seattle metropolitan cities not within 150 kilometers or split 50%:

Auburn - 70,180

Lakewood - 58,163

Maple Valley - 22,684

Covington - 50% of 17,575 = 8,787

Tacoma - 50% of 198,397 = 99,198

TOTAL: 259,012

**Grays Harbour County communities not within 150 kilometers

Aberdeen - 16,896

Aberdeen Gardens - 279

Brady - 676

Central Park - 2,685

Chehalis Village - 346

Cohasset Beach - 722

Cosmopolis - 1,649

Elma - 3,107

Grayland - 953

Hoquiam - 8,726

Junction City - 18

Malone-Porter - 682

Markham - 111

McCleary - 1,653

Montesano - 3,976

Oakville - 684

Ocean Shores - 5,569

Ocean City - 217

Oyehut-Hogan's Corner - 170

Satsop - 619

Westport - 2,099

TOTAL: 51,837

***Snohomish county communities not included as part of Seattle Metropolitan Area

Arlington - 17,926

Darrington - 1,347

Granite Falls - 3,421

Monroe - 17,304

Stanwood - 6,231

Sultan - 4,651

TOTAL: 50,880

****Fraser Valley Regional District communities and electoral areas not included:

Hope, Harrison Hot Springs and EA A & B

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

A thread on VV's big brother site SkyscraperPage posed the question of population within a 150 kilometer radius of cities in Canada,

Why is this of any value to anybody, what possible use is it ?

If the city was say Prince George and people would actually come to your city from 150KM away to shop or visit a doctor or whatever I could see the use. In our case it is meaningless as soon as you factor the moat in, nobody from Vancouver or Seattle is coming here for any service or good.

• LocalMom and Bob Fugger like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

So you're saying that the 2.3 million people living in Vancouver and the 3.5 million people living in Seattle have absolutely no effect whatsoever on Victoria's economy, or that Victorians benefit in no way whatsoever from the culture/shopping/industry/infrastructure/politics of those two cities?

And think of Tourism Victoria and what benefit this has to their marketing efforts. Just like Seattle markets directly to us (see here), we market directly to them. Ditto for Vancouver. In fact I'd say those two cities make a huge impact on the tourism and service industries in Victoria. We're very, very, very fortunate to have seven million people literally on our doorstep and most Victorians would have never thought we're a part of this massive population base.

Just because we live on an island does not mean we live in a confined silo :)

• Nparker and bluefox like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Why is this of any value to anybody, what possible use is it ?

It's amusing

Thanks Mike :)

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

That's a cool and interesting fact!

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

Very cool and interesting, however 150km landlocked is very different from 150km across the sea. On land that equates to approx 1.5hr travel time. By sea it's significantly longer. 

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

I was just looking up some stats on our sister city in Canada, Halifax, and realized that Victoria benefits tremendously from being within arms reach of a massive population base.

Within 150km of Halifax the population is about 650,000, or just a little bit more than the population only on Vancouver Island within 150km of downtown Victoria. Their annual tourism numbers are a fraction of Victoria's and this is directly a result of Victoria having such ample connections and proximity to both Vancouver and Seattle/Washington State. Considering Halifax sees about 1 million tourists annually, give or take, and Victoria sees 3 to 3.5 million, we're directly benefiting from those two power centres on our doorstep. Even our cruise ship traffic is a direct result of Seattle's proximity and I would wager that a great deal of our tech industry is tied in many ways to the tech industry in Seattle.

I have family in the fishing industry and they say we're lucky that our freshly caught seafood is so close to Vancouver/Seattle. Both cities have airports that can ship product all across the world just hours after it is caught and thanks to this infrastructure Victoria's/Vancouver Island's seafood is sought after around the world. I recall from one visit to Chicago several years ago where the waiter at a fancy seafood restaurant remarked that the oysters I would be having were from Vancouver Island, and fresh, mind you. I laughed, and I said 'ha, fresh? No fresher than ours.' He said that's not true, the oysters are picked at 7AM, placed on an express reefer truck by 9AM, arriving at YVR by 1PM, then flown to Chicago by 5PM and distributed that evening direct to fancy restaurants. With seafood timing is everything and dang it, he was right, what they were putting on plates that evening wouldn't arrive in Victoria's restaurant kitchens until the following morning. Go figure.

We're pretty fortunate to be a city of 350,000 tucked a little bit out of the way from 7 million individuals. That much is clear :)

Know it all.

#8 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

If only we could use this 'statistic' for our own good - to help us get funding for mass transit, etc. but ESPECIALLY to say we can support an IKEA. Priorities, people!

• Mike K. and David Bratzer like this

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

How many IKEA's are there in that radius? Three?

Know it all.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

This has come up before in different forms. One time some Halifax forumers were arguing that Halifax was less isolated than Vancouver. Vancouver is isolated because it's a long way from Calgary, one of them said. That's a pretty silly way of viewing the world. The PNW is a region full of millions of people and numerous closely connected large cities. Places like Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, etc. are standalone cities off by themselves in the wilderness.

#11 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yes - three IKEAs are already within that radius - two over in Vancouver (Richmond, Coquitlam) and one in Seattle.

Darn you and your 'logic'!

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Well, I finally got around to checking those new threads at skyscraperpage.com. Suffice it to say, it's staggering just how little most Canadians know about life on the west coast and the tight connections between the various cities here.

#13 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Within 150km of Halifax the population is about 650,000, or just a little bit more than the population only on Vancouver Island within 150km of downtown Victoria. Their annual tourism numbers are a fraction of Victoria's and this is directly a result of Victoria having such ample connections and proximity to both Vancouver and Seattle/Washington State.

Hmm.. Yeah that's a heck of a leap of logic there. Sure we will benefit from those people, but saying our increased numbers of tourists is the direct result of our proximity to more people is making a huge assumption. How many of our 3.5 million tourists are from that 150km region?
I bet Duncan has almost 7 million people within 150km too and we know what a tourist mecca that is.

Tourists primarily come to places because they're interesting, not because they're close.

Edited by pherthyl, 06 January 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'd be careful telling Haligonians their city is 70% less interesting than Victoria.

Know it all.

#15 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

While the 150 km circle is a nice graphic, I think it would be better if measured as 150 km on roads/ferries - Comox is closer to Victoria than Bamfield

Still, the overall result remains the same, within a reasonable weekend travel distance there are 7.3 million people.   We should be doing much better in tourism than we seem to be.   

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Still, the overall result remains the same, within a reasonable weekend travel distance there are 7.3 million people.   We should be doing much better in tourism than we seem to be.   

We should be going after this potential, instead of spending money trying to attract the Chinese or Europeans.  Heck, let's just try to attract up-Islanders, where are the "Island resident" rates/packages at our hotels?

• G-Man likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

What's Tourism Victoria's annual budget, and does the organization represent the entire CRD?

Know it all.

#18 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Given that we have some rather spectacular places on the island and have close to 7.5 million living close to come for the weekend, I really have to wonder why we do not do better.

One thing that should set us apart is the ferry trip, coming to island really gives the sense of going on a trip to somewhere for the weekend.   

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

One thing that should set us apart is the ferry trip, coming to island really gives the sense of going on a trip to somewhere for the weekend.   

Yup, you flip it into a positive.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yet also the same 'trip feeling' ferry ride adds about $200 for a family with a vehicle :(

I do see that some of the hotels on the Island are trying to make BC Family Day less $$ with deals via BC Ferries:

https://www.bcferrie...ly-day-getaways

(Chateau Victoria, Parkside, Tigh-Na-Mara all on the Island).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users