7,305,536: Population within 150km radius of downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

But then again with our tourist numbers over 3x those of Halifax's and 1 million above Winnipeg's, does that not mean we're doing pretty good for a city of 350,000?

Of course much of this is thanks to Seattle and Vancouver but other than tap into local markets as per VHF's idea for an islander getaway what else could we be doing that Vancouver/Seattle aren't already doing? They're already marketing the ski hills, the mountains, the vastness of our wilderness, etc. etc., and Vancouver Island is really just an extension of what's already on the mainland.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Of course much of this is thanks to Seattle and Vancouver but other than tap into local markets as per VHF's idea for an islander getaway what else could we be doing that Vancouver/Seattle aren't already doing? They're already marketing the ski hills, the mountains, the vastness of our wilderness, etc. etc., and Vancouver Island is really just an extension of what's already on the mainland.

As Bernard says, sell the Island!  Few Americans, or Canadians for that matter ever go visit an Island.  I said in another thread that the name of our island confuses and works against us sometimes.  It's like Santa Catalina being called Los Angeles Island or Long Beach Island.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

For a population of 350,000 we attract well over 3 million tourists while Vancouver with a population of 2.3 million attracts 9 million tourists. I'd say a LOT of people make it to the Island all things considered, but yes, we do a terrible job of marketing Vancouver Island to the 6.9 million people that live a short hop away. Every second or third person in Vancouver or Seattle should feel like they've missed something by not having visited Vancouver Island at least once or twice every few years. You hear the flip-side all the time, where someone says "you know, I haven't been to Vancouver in a while, I should go." Let's get Vancouverites/Seattleites saying that about us.

Here a document on Vancouver-to-Victoria/Island tourism strategies http://www.tourismvi...ingStrategy.pdf

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

The cost of coming to the Island is an extra expense, but it is also a cheap cruise, where else can you get as nice a ferry ride as here for such a low rate?   The ferry ride itself is an attraction.

If you go away for a long weekend, three nights, the cost of your hotel is going to $250 to $400, so the additional expense of the ferry is not that dramatic.   

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Why can't we entrust BC Ferries to market their service as that, though? They're the immediate beneficiary of increased traffic but they haven't been doing all that much to market their routes as an experience onto itself ...or have they and we just don't know about it locally?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#26 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

The cost of coming to the Island is an extra expense, but it is also a cheap cruise, where else can you get as nice a ferry ride as here for such a low rate? The ferry ride itself is an attraction.

If you go away for a long weekend, three nights, the cost of your hotel is going to $250 to $400, so the additional expense of the ferry is not that dramatic.

Is that so?

Let me see here 3 nights at $250 for accommodation
Round trip for 2 on a ferry in a car $152

You call that not dramatic? More than 50 percent for the ferry

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Is that so?

Let me see here 3 nights at $250 for accommodation
Round trip for 2 on a ferry in a car $152

You call that not dramatic? More than 50 percent for the ferry

$159 was the average room rate in July last year, if you are only spending $250 for 3 nights ($83/nt.), you are not the prime traveller we want to attract with our BC Ferry "cruise".

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Traveler's Inn crowd not wanted?

Know it all.

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

Why can't we entrust BC Ferries to market their service as that, though? They're the immediate beneficiary of increased traffic but they haven't been doing all that much to market their routes as an experience onto itself ...or have they and we just don't know about it locally?

Not at all sure its that easy unfortunately Mike; born, raised and educated here but I've lived twice in YVR from 1987-90 and again from 1996-2001 and I can tell you that whenever I mentioned I was heading "home" to visit family or friends that was usually met with a rolling of eyes, a shrug and knowing smirk along with something like "back to Fantasy Island, eh?" Or the variant, with respect to Victoria specifically "...going back to Mayberry, huh?"

And when I would have serious conversations with mainland-Vancouver friends inquiring when they were last on VI and Victoria particularly - we're talking about people at the time who were in the 40-ish age bracket - it was very common to discover that "Victoria? Haven't been there since my grade 9 field trip". Not kidding either.

When I would further ask why they thought that was, the answer was typically immediate and rarely varied "What is there that I can't get here?" Tough question when you think about it. Are you going to come here for shopping vs what Robson Street, Granville Island or Yaletown offers? Highly improbable. Restaurants? Not a chance and no point even going down that path. Nature and the natural environment? Hm, well you may have heard about the North Shore mountains, Deep Cove, Squamish, Whistler, Manning Park, Alouette Lake, the Sunshine Coast etc. You get the picture. I'll grant you whale watching is easier from Victoria but I doubt catering to whale watcher's is going to significantly Up your tourism numbers. When you really think about it Victoria viz a viz Vancouver is a pretty tough sell and that comes from a native Victorian.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Before we forget, Victorians like to bash the heck out of Nanaimo :)

When you really get down to it a proper marketing campaign will entice a lot of people to make a trip to the island. And plenty already do to attend Rifflandia, surf in Tofino and whatnot, so it's a matter of enticing more people to check us out.

Know it all.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Traveler's Inn crowd not wanted?

For the local economy, they all add up, but you'd probably like 1 Empress guest over 5 Backpacker's Inn guests, is what I'm saying.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yeah I get ya :)

Know it all.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

So why don't we just spend money in the US?

3493_10152133854937733_1615927564_n.jpg

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Totally agree. Despite what some people seem to think. I think that Victoria is a perfect weekend getaway for those in Seattle and Vancouver. It is a beautiful city with very nice hotels and restaurants. I would place 60 - 70 % of Tourism Victoria's advertising into those two markets.

• tedward likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#35 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Totally agree. Despite what some people seem to think. I think that Victoria is a perfect weekend getaway for those in Seattle and Vancouver. It is a beautiful city with very nice hotels and restaurants. I would place 60 - 70 % of Tourism Victoria's advertising into those two markets.

Maybe add Portland into that mix. Not so far away, 6 hour drive to Port Angeles.

That infographic is funny in how Hong Kong is seperated from China.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

So why don't we just spend money in the US?

How could Mayor McCheese justify his junkets to the far east then?

#37 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

While I agree there is lots to do on VI, how many people have gone to Vancouver for a weekend retreat recently where they weren't on business.  For me, its been 4 to 5 years.  I'm also not talking about going to visit friends/family where you stayed with them or walked on the ferry and had someone pick you up on the other side.

Going to Vancouver for the weekend, two nights in a nice hotel, ferry, parking, restaurants,etc is around $1000

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

While I agree there is lots to do on VI, how many people have gone to Vancouver for a weekend retreat recently where they weren't on business.  For me, its been 4 to 5 years.  I'm also not talking about going to visit friends/family where you stayed with them or walked on the ferry and had someone pick you up on the other side.

Going to Vancouver for the weekend, two nights in a nice hotel, ferry, parking, restaurants,etc is around $1000

I think it's pretty common, especially among 20-40 somethings who just want to get away for a few days.

Hundreds of people head over to watch the Canucks and the Lions and most stay over for the night in downtown hotels. When a big concert is in town lots of people head over for a night or two as well.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Maybe add Portland into that mix. Not so far away, 6 hour drive to Port Angeles.

That infographic is funny in how Hong Kong is seperated from China.

6 hours? Remind me not to get behind you on the highway :D I think 3.5 to 4 hours is bit closer at least when I have done it. Google maps puts it at 3 hrs 58 minutes.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

I think it's pretty common, especially among 20-40 somethings who just want to get away for a few days.

Hundreds of people head over to watch the Canucks and the Lions and most stay over for the night in downtown hotels. When a big concert is in town lots of people head over for a night or two as well.

I agree.  When there is an event, even a major weekend Canucks game, it's a party on that ferry.  Go stay at the Rosedale, see how they rock it out with all BC fans every Canucks game.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users