Walmart Supercentre stores in Victoria and on southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#201 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:57 PM

/\.....first, it was waiting in line for lights and lasers Cassidy - not TP. Got it? Lasers, duuuude...."lasers". There is nothing remotely cooler than having dueling lasers on the front lawn at Christmas. They also double as a very useful tool to annoy that one neighbor you can't stand; that alone makes waiting worthwhile....

Second, Mrs ASE wasn't with me and there was this very nice blonde woman from my gym in line behind me who just insisted on conversing the whole time. Who was I to pass on that line and say no? And finally it was Christmas man...the season of joy and good cheer and fellowship. So to sum up - lasers, Christmas and a knockout blonde, some of my favorite things, so yeah it was 45 minutes well spent :)

• Cassidy likes this

#202 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:55 AM

I think Fairways will be fine. I am not sure too many people actually do their full grocery shop at Walmart.

On the parking I agree, was at Hillside yesterday and the entire southern and eastern parking lot was full and the northern one was pretty full too. I am hoping that there is some sort of plan to fix this.

All in all though I think this is a good thing. Hillside retailers must be ecstatic.
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#203 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

I'm sure Canadian Tire and Thrifty's are going to love it.

Judging by Thrifty's pricing model, I don't think it's competing for the Walmart customer.

• jonny and lanforod like this

#204 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:50 AM

On the parking I agree, was at Hillside yesterday and the entire southern and eastern parking lot was full and the northern one was pretty full too. I am hoping that there is some sort of plan to fix this.

Yeah, the lots right next to the former Sears space are very small. Hard to imagine they will incorporate any sort of new parking structure in time for a late 2019 opening, though. 

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

The Langford Walmart has approximately 600 stalls, with many going unfilled on a daily basis.

The northeast section of Hillside's lot has 400 stalls, and it's the least used of them all. Adding up the remainder of the northern parking perimeter and you've got another 250-300 stalls, so in terms of capacity it's just right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#206 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

There's also about 150 rooftop parking spots at hillside that used to give access to the second floor of Sears which were always empty. 

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Oh yeah, that's right! There are over 200 stalls up there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#208 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

There's also about 150 rooftop parking spots at hillside that used to give access to the second floor of Sears which were always empty. 

I would imagine this parking area will be very popular for future Walmart customers. The entrance at this level may need some modification to better accommodate typical Walmart purchases, as I seem to recall it being kind of small.

#209 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

As The Keg discussion illustrates, there are two kinds of Victorian parking: the preferred space which a resident will circle for half an hour trying to obtain, and the slightly less convenient lot, which we refuse to acknowledge even exists.

• jonny and Victoria Watcher like this

#210 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:37 AM

As The Keg discussion illustrates, there are two kinds of Victorian parking: the preferred space which a resident will circle for half an hour trying to obtain, and the slightly less convenient lot, which we refuse to acknowledge even exists.

Victorians sort of figured it out at Uptown. Took a few years, though. 

#211 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

Saanich News reporting that the Hillside Walmart deal is just a rumour.

https://www.saanichn...t-and-hillside/

Matt.

#212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

"We do not respond to Internet rumours" - Hillside Centre, when approached regarding the shopping centre expansion.

"We have no plans to sell Dockside Green," - VanCity, prior to acknowledging sale of Dockside Green.

"We cannot confirm Winners is the upcoming tenant," - Bay Centre, when Winners was identified as the new retailer.

...and so on.

• Nparker, rjag, Matt R. and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

Did we know about this? That's a serious facility.

SURREY, BC, July 26, 2018 /CNW/ - Walmart Canada has announced plans to invest more than $175 million to build a new 300,000 square foot, high-tech, state-of-the-art fresh, frozen grocery facility in Surrey, BC, creating between 150 to 200 new, long-term jobs. In addition, 300 skilled construction and engineering roles to support the 14- to 18-month build period will be required once construction begins in early 2021. Building designers will focus on sustainability, including plans for it to be a zero-waste facility when it opens in early 2022. - https://www.newswire...-689221811.html

Know it all.

#214 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

I will see the drawings for the Wal Mart when it comes out for bidding/budgets, I will let you know if anything comes of it.

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Very good!

Know it all.

#216 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

I think Fairways will be fine. I am not sure too many people actually do their full grocery shop at Walmart.

All in all though I think this is a good thing. Hillside retailers must be ecstatic.

I think that in general the Sears location would require a lot of changes in order to support Walmart and even then it would be a smaller footprint than the typical store these days. I don't think that any retailer is happy to see a Walmart open next to them. People go to Walmart to shop at Walmart, it is a destination. Look at Uptown and its constant churn of stores as an example. Arguably the only store left that competes at all with Walmart is Shoppers and there are more employees than customers there 90% of the time. 

#217 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:05 AM

^Petsmart an Michael's are pretty darn busy everytime I am up there.
  • jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

Any retail space requires major upgrades, especially one that hasn’t been renovated for several decades.

The Hillside Walmart is perfect in size at 150k sq ft. It’s also got a garden section and they could operate an automotive shop from Hillside, too. Makes you wonder if the decision to remove the shop that used to be at North Dairy and Shelbourne was too hasty of a decision.

Know it all.

#219 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

^Petsmart an Michael's are pretty darn busy everytime I am up there.

I was in Whole Foods on the weekend and it was packed.

• jonny and sdwright.vic like this

#220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:20 AM

Any retail space requires major upgrades, especially one that hasn’t been renovated for several decades...

I doubt at the time Tillicum Centre was built anyone ever envisioned the Eaton's space becoming a hardware/home improvement store. I think the basic structure and footprint of Sears would accommodate Walmart quite well.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users