Walmart Supercentre stores in Victoria and on southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#241 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Never buy non-food items at grocery stores! They are always marked up.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#242 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:07 AM

Weird, they stock the same lilydale chicken and AAA beef as anyone else.

Bunch of years back I was lamenting the rise of beef prices, turns out it was because Walmart basically cornered the market on Canadian AAA beef. I feel like I’ve mentioned this before. :)

Matt.

I'll have to try the beef again. I've had bad experiences with it in the past; terrible marbling, not aged well; they also seem to have low inventory typically on premium cuts.

Chicken - agree that it's fine if its just getting some from one of the major producers. Don't usually save anything on cost tho; I just buy from Costco usually which is great.

Pork - same issues in the past with beef.

Seafood - just no. Not fresh or even close to fresh, in my experience. Frozen is fine from a decent source, I do get prawns there regularly.

I do know my meat better than most folks, having spent a couple of years working at a custom meat company.

• Mike K. likes this

#243 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

There is no such thing as "Wal-mart beef", all beef is inspected and graded the same way regulated by the government and unless you are buying organic, grass-fed, pasture raised, Cowichan beef or something, its going to be the same at Wal-mart as it is at Superstore, Save-on, Thrifty's, etc

• Matt R. and Dr. Barillas like this

#244 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:46 AM

There is plenty of beef that is sold ungraded. Walk into a butcher shop here and much of what they sell is ungraded likely; but probably better quality than the AAA beef at grocery stores. That doesn't apply to Walmart since 2017 they only sell AAA/Angus graded. Not sure if they sell Prime grade at Walmart.

Really though, when it comes to grading, it'll depend on the inspector of the day. Things do get by inspectors. Its not like they look at every single cut. Heck, about half of what they grade in Canada will be AAA or better. I think machines are being used more these days though, so grading should be getting more consistent.

I think the bigger issue I've had has been aging; if not aged well, the beef just doesn't taste that great. Hopefully that has improved. 

#245 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

There is no such thing as "Wal-mart beef", all beef is inspected and graded the same way regulated by the government and unless you are buying organic, grass-fed, pasture raised, Cowichan beef or something, its going to be the same at Wal-mart as it is at Superstore, Save-on, Thrifty's, etc

Fine.  The beef I purchase from Wal-Mart is the same beef that I get anywhere else; but tastes better because it is often much less expensive than Profligate Foods or Spend-On Foods.  Superstore gives it a run, though.

• Matt R. likes this

#246 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:58 AM

It's pretty hard to find a more expensive store for groceries than Profligate Foods well other than expensive barn

Edited by PraiseKek, 08 April 2019 - 11:59 AM.

• Matt R. and Bob Fugger like this

#247 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Has anyone considered that people might choose to shop in the stores they do not for a difference in quality of the product, but in quality of their fellow shoppers?

When I buy a package of cheese* at Thrifty's for $7 that I could also buy at Superstore or Walmart for literally** half the price I look around and feel confident that I am surrounded by fellow idiots that favour convenience over money saved.  These are my people.

Unless I am in Superstore or Walmart when I remember I need cheese*, then I just buy it there and slink out.

* Processed cheese-food product "slices", not real cheese.

** As in "actually", not the Millennial "figuratively" antonym-turned-synonym definition.

• Mike K., Bob Fugger and grantpalin like this

#248 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

^ maybe some hoity toity folks, sure.

#249 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:07 PM

You can find everything thing you need on sale somewhere if you start your Saturday morning all the way out at Glenwood Meats, then shop the flyers or use Salewhale for every store you pretty much pass on your way back into town.*

*Take that carbon tax
  • Mike K., Bob Fugger and lanforod like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#250 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:42 PM

Never buy non-food items at grocery stores! They are always marked up.

Same price at pharmasave anyways. Stinky salt springers!

Matt.

#251 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:06 PM

Same price at pharmasave anyways. Stinky salt springers!

Matt.

Isn't that SSI odour patchouli?

• Matt R. likes this

#252 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

Or Thieves Oil.

I’ve only been here six and a half years, so I still wear normal deodorant.

Matt.

#253 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:44 AM

As for meat, my dad was a butcher back in his younger days and he always said the best quality meats in town were at...Costco

I go to Wal Mart 1 or 2 times a year and stock up on the basics like cleaning supplies, toothpaste, etc

#254 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

So does Mike K.'s empire extend to Victoria Business Examiner? The "Movers and Shakers"  section of the Feb 2019 issue also mentions Walmart coming to Hillside.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#255 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,934 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:46 AM

So does Mike K.'s empire extend to Victoria Business Examiner? The "Movers and Shakers"  section of the Feb 2019 issue also mentions Walmart coming to Hillside.

march issue.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2019 - 04:46 AM.

#256 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

The folio line says "February 2019" on the "Movers and Shakers" pages that I'm looking at. Is that the March issue? I don't have the entire thing. Or did they say the same thing in March?

#257 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,934 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

i'd answer if i knew what a "folio line" was.

#258 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

https://www.garciame...n_a_folio_line/

#259 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,934 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

ok.  yes the march edition has "february" on the folio line.  so does the february edition.  :confused:  but the walmart piece is in the march edition. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2019 - 09:46 AM.

#260 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:16 AM

I'm just wondering what the source would have been.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)