- - - - -

Walmart Supercentre stores in Victoria and on southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#301 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:35 PM

But you have to explain why Walmart is a done deal and the denials are false. 

Mainstream media: "According to a person familiar with the negotiations..."

VV: "According to us..."

Victoria Buzz: "Apparently the place was destroyed by fire"

• Cats4Hire and Victoria Watcher like this

#302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,295 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

maybe you need to name a source even if that source is "a source intimately familiar with the arrangements/deal".

• Rob Randall likes this

#303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

Does it make you feel better to read “several sources, who wished to remain anonymous but confirmed their familiarity with the lease arrangements, say...”

It honestly adds nothing of value.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#304 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I noticed a permit on VicMap for the strip out of a unit at Hillside, but wasn’t sure if that was related to the former Sears space.

#305 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

It’s going to be quite the job to prep that space, for sure. I don’t think the Sears space has been touched for decades.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#306 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:11 PM

Does it make you feel better to read “several sources, who wished to remain anonymous but confirmed their familiarity with the lease arrangements, say...”

It honestly adds nothing of value.

It's not about making me feel better; it's journalism 101. It's literally in the first chapter of the CP Stylebook. 

If you have a scoop, you need to tell where it comes from so readers can evaluate it for themselves. Doesn't matter if they're on record, off record, on background, you have to give context, and it usually takes the form of "According to....".

I'm trying to help you.

• vortoozo likes this

#307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,295 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

i tend to agree.  it just looks odd otherwise.

you can't just say a car crashed on bay street today.  you have to either say you were there to see it or someone else presented the information to you.  you can say trump ordered a strike on that terrorist guy that's been widely reported.  but speciality information we need the source.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 07:16 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

So readers can evaluate for themselves an anonymous source speaking on condition of anonymity. Right. Much thought goes into that analysis by readers, I’m sure.

That’s a junk phrase and totally irrelevant. It’s like saying “many people say,” or “according to some people.” It’s meaningless filler that substantiates absolutely nothing, although admittedly it is fun to use now and then.

Know it all.

#309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

But all that being said I know you guys are watching out for us and have best interests in mind here, but just so we’re clear I roll my eyes when these types of references are printed.

But in light of what everyone’s saying, and I respect it, I will make the change. Hold tight.
  • vortoozo likes this

Know it all.

#310 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

If you’re making changes Mike, maybe you meant ‘indicate’ here instead of ‘intimate’?

“...and although it would not intimate which organization signed the lease, an opening window of 2021 was mentioned.”

#311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

Ok, done.

On another note there was a Reddit exchange a while back thar also touched on Walmart at Hillside. The user said they acted as a supplier for local Walmart stores and were approached a while back and told to make preparations for an additional local store.

Know it all.

#312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

I’m seeing quite a few people unhappy with Walmart at Hillside, or suggesting their expansion is proof there is growing divide between the haves and the have nots.

I don’t know, I see some fairly well off folks shopping at Walmart. No need to spend $10 on something you can buy at Walmart for $7, and I’m not even talking about Walmart vs mom-and-pop but giant corporation vs giant corporation. It doesn’t take a lower income to understand the value of a dollar.

Know it all.

#313 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

At the end of the day, if you don’t want to shop at Walmart, don’t. If you want Walmart prices, almost every store in town price matches anyways.

You just might have to be that annoying person taking 30 minutes to checkout.

#314 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,295 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:42 PM

edit

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 07:43 PM.

#315 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

Not everyone shops at Walmart because of the prices. I shop at Uptown because my bank and one of my lunch haunts can be accessed with the same parking spot.

Pop in, grab some cream and sugar for the office, and slide out through the self teller in a matter of minutes. If I need to snare some supplements, socks, or hair products (sorry Mike) the revised sweep might add 60 seconds to the journey.

Priceless.
  • Mike K. likes this

#316 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

I'm curious if there's any plans for some kind of parking expansion (I think the roof is only partial parking although I never go up there) the parking lot was already pretty full during the holidays, even back by the empty Sears building. On weekends it can get pretty full too and I imagine a Walmart would make that worse.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#317 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:02 PM

I wonder if Walmart going into the old Sears space will help the mall with attracting smaller tenants to fill the various empty spaces (at my last count, eleven in the new wing). As I see it the mall will get a big boost in traffic thanks to Walmart, and mall stores may want to get in position to pick up some of that traffic coming and going.

Edited by grantpalin, 08 January 2020 - 10:02 PM.

#318 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:02 PM

I’m seeing quite a few people unhappy with Walmart at Hillside, or suggesting their expansion is proof there is growing divide between the haves and the have nots...

I'm not sure Walmart caters to a significantly different clientele today than Sears did in its heyday. Also, last I checked, no one is being forced to shop there. If someone doesn't like what Walmart stands for, they are free to patronize whatever mom-and-pop establishment or upscale boutique empties their wallet while soothing their soul.

• Nparker likes this

#319 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

I'm curious if there's any plans for some kind of parking expansion...

A multi-level parking structure where the old Sears garden centre was situated would make a lot of sense. 

#320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:06 PM

I wonder if Walmart going into the old Sears space will help the mall with attracting smaller tenants to fill the various empty spaces...

An increase in customer traffic to that end of the mall pretty much has to be a benefit to the existing and future tenants.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users