Walmart Supercentre stores in Victoria and on southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:23 AM

There’s also no slack at Costco. You go there to work, and work hard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#422 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:39 AM

One Walmart person told me his hours were gradually cut just enough so he didn't qualify for benefits. I understand Costco doesn't play those games and is a better employer.

costco expects a lot from their employees though.  no floaters there.

#423 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:12 AM

Are we sure?

From a men's clothing perspective, the Levi's store closed; Nyren's closed; W&J Wilson shrunk; Moore's closed; Sitka shrunk; The GAP closed, etc. There's hardly a reason to go downtown now for men's clothing unless you want to look like you're a forest ranger about to take a hike.

I still buy most of my men's clothing in downtown Victoria.  I love to shop at DG Bremner's on Broughton, and a few years ago they opened up an outlet store in the same building (Yarrow) across from Pagliacci's and it's still going strong.  

Outlooks for Men also carries a nice selection of Men's clothing...

• Hotel Mike and Victoria Watcher like this

#424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

Yes, DG Bremner's is pretty good. I'm surprised the outlet store is still there, two years ago I think they said it would be temporary but I guess it's popular given the prices.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#425 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

The condom shop is still there, having opened in the 90s. 

The what?! This is a place I've somehow never stumbled upon...

#426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

Hold on, I think they closed. It was called the Rubber Rainbow.

Dang, that's another local retailer that opened in the 90s only to fold in the 2010s.

Know it all.

#427 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Hold on, I think they closed. It was called the Rubber Rainbow.

Dang, that's another local retailer that opened in the 90s only to fold in the 2010s.

Perhaps too many people were ribbing the workers?

• Mike K. and Bernard like this

#428 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

Perhaps too many people were ribbing the workers?

It's because no one is having sex anymore.

What, anecdotes are not data?

• Cats4Hire and Victoria Watcher like this

#429 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

In case any of you nutjobs still don't believe Mike's reporting, I noticed this permit on VicMap at Hillside:

walmart.jpg

The strip-out permit was issued on Feb 7 for the same unit.

• Mike K., Rob Randall, Nparker and 3 others like this

#430 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

I wonder what sort of exterior facade renovations Walmart intends to make to the former SEARS location?

#431 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:57 PM

^probably adding some new signage that says CINEPLEX

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:58 PM

Lol, totally!

Or VIHA 😳

Know it all.

#433 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:01 PM

In case any of you nutjobs still don't believe Mike's reporting, I noticed this permit on VicMap at Hillside:

attachicon.gifwalmart.jpg

The strip-out permit was issued on Feb 7 for the same unit.

Walmart is just being nice and renovating it for whoever else rents it obviously! Walmart wouldn't lie to us!

#434 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:30 PM

Was just at Walmart at uptown to pick up prescriptions and get groceries. Somethings they are doing right limiting customers great ,others big fail .Used  the pin pads twice no one wiped it down  or any other  surface that I saw  . Some cashiers packing groceries in  reusable bags then moving on to the next customer not cleaning their hands or work station . Even tho the bottle of cleaner was right there . Walmart needs to do better.

#435 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:39 PM

If there is any time to support local based grocery and pharmacy, it's now. I couldn't care less if Walmart's bottom line is impacted. If Country Grocer or Red Barn or some local pharmacists had to close, that's a much bigger deal.

• mbjj, Midnightly and davidN like this

#436 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

Was just at Walmart at uptown to pick up prescriptions and get groceries. Somethings they are doing right limiting customers great ,others big fail .Used  the pin pads twice no one wiped it down  or any other  surface that I saw  . Some cashiers packing groceries in  reusable bags then moving on to the next customer not cleaning their hands or work station . Even tho the bottle of cleaner was right there . Walmart needs to do better.

We all need to do better. Saw MSM report yesterday that 30% of Canadians are still not social distancing.

#437 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

If there is any time to support local based grocery and pharmacy, it's now.

For many people the cost savings from shopping at Walmart is more important now than ever.

• Love the rock likes this

#438 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:51 PM

If there is any time to support local based grocery and pharmacy, it's now. I couldn't care less if Walmart's bottom line is impacted. If Country Grocer or Red Barn or some local pharmacists had to close, that's a much bigger deal.

i have found myself avoiding walmart.. i haven't gone since this all started, country grocer has been wonderful, wholesale club has been great, same with save on foods  line ups are not bad (when there are line ups) staff is super friendly at all (and ofcourse always be friendly and polite with the staff.. some of the stories i've been hearing are absolutely disgusting how they have been treated)  even the smaller pharmacies have been great (super quick turn around at quadra village pharmacy.. )

#439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

We all need to do better. Saw MSM report yesterday that 30% of Canadians are still not social distancing.

how do they come up with that figure?  also what's the rule for families?  i'm not sure what percentage of families are blended but it's huge.  so you have kids from one family mixing with kids and parents from another(s).

edit: 

2012:

Stepfamilies make up 12.6% of Canadian families. Stepfamilies, counted in the census for the first time in 2011, account for 12.6 per cent of Canada's 3.7 million families with children, with nearly 558,000 children aged 14 and under living in stepfamily homes.

2016:

In 2016, one in five children younger than 1 year old (20.7%) was living in a lone‑parent family, in a stepfamily or without their parents, a share that increased to more than one in three children among those aged 10 to 14 (36.2%).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#440 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:21 PM

i have found myself avoiding walmart.. i haven't gone since this all started, country grocer has been wonderful, wholesale club has been great, same with save on foods  line ups are not bad (when there are line ups) staff is super friendly at all (and ofcourse always be friendly and polite with the staff.. some of the stories i've been hearing are absolutely disgusting how they have been treated)  even the smaller pharmacies have been great (super quick turn around at quadra village pharmacy.. )

I haven’t shopped at Walmart  lately  but I had three prescriptions refills to pick up . Only refills .Lots of people are financially strapped right now I’m no exception.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users