• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

http://www.straight....oops-daily-news

Interesting, a sole daily in that city, with a circulation of only 10,000. 

KAMLOOPS IS LOSING its daily newspaper.

Glacier Media Inc. has signalled that it plans to close the Kamloops Daily News in the next 60 days, citing falling revenues and difficulty reducing expenses.

The Vancouver-based media company gave notice of the coming shutdown to Unifor, the union representing its staff, according to anarticle on the Daily News website.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Might they re-open sans union?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Not that easily. I'm guessing they tried to get consessions first.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

But "within 60 days" might mean they hope for some kind of solution.

I still find it strange that David Radler, who served a 29-month jail sentence for defrauding investors in the newspaper industry, was hired by Glacier.

Strange company.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

I still find it strange that David Radler, who served a 29-month jail sentence for defrauding investors in the newspaper industry, was hired by Glacier.

Strange company.

One thing Radler was always good at was getting profits out of papers.

The Kamloops Daily News has dropped 20% in paid circulation over the last five years

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

One thing Radler was always good at was getting profits out of papers.

At the expense of the investors, though, right?  Or at least that's how he made his personal fortune.  Why would you hire someone of that character?  He only got 29 months as he agreed to testify against Black in a plea bargain.  He would have got 5 years if he had been tried and convicted.

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

The 60 days is more than likely working notice in lieu of severance

I also wonder how much the union was willing to work with their employer.  Obviously not enough as Glacier had "difficulty reducing expenses"

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

The 60 days is more than likely working notice in lieu of severance

I also wonder how much the union was willing to work with their employer.  Obviously not enough as Glacier had "difficulty reducing expenses"

You can look up the union contract online.  I think I can see why a 10,000 circulation newspaper would have difficulty operating under that union contract.

The union wages at Kamloops this Week are about 30% lower.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Saturday will be the last publication day.

#10 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

According to this article, Glacier is a very profitable company:

http://www.thetyee.c...ews-Monopolies/

And, they pay their execs extremely well, too. Quote:

"...Glacier's top three executives were compensated with salaries and fees exceeding $2 million each in 2009. According to the blog, which cited figures gleaned from the company's 2010 annual report, the company's directors were also each paid $1,000 for every meeting they attended."

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

According to this article, Glacier is a very profitable company...and, they pay their execs extremely well, too. "...Glacier's top three executives were compensated with salaries and fees exceeding $2 million each in 2009..."

I guess there wasn't enough left after executive compensation to invest in a profitable model for the Kamloops Daily News

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

At a 30% profit margin, I'd pay the executives well too.  That's amazing.

#13 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'd pay the staff well.

• Nparker likes this

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yes, because we know newspapers get written, promoted and distributed entirely by the executives. The staff are simply an annoyance forced on them by irrational and unnecessary government regulation.

• Benezet likes this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Aren't the staff being paid well?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Yes, because we know newspapers get written, promoted and distributed entirely by the executives. The staff are simply an annoyance forced on them by irrational and unnecessary government regulation.

They executive choose good, efficient staff.  No knock on the staff, if they are/were underpaid, and talented, they would be elsewhere.

#17 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Aren't the staff being paid well?

They are now jobless, because their $2million/year masters wished to make more profit.

Edited by Benezet, 10 January 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

They are now jobless, because their $2million/year masters wished to make more profit.

And how about this, the unionized Kamloops This Week is moving to three days per week production, from two. Same union.

Kamloops This Week, another newspaper in the community, is going to publish three days a week instead of its current two-day schedule, and hire two more journalists for its newsroom. Other positions may be filled as needed. The paper, launched in 1988 as a weekly, is owned by Thompson River Publications Ltd.

http://www.theglobea...rticle16260187/

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

It seems like the Kamloops paper just wasn't making money. No business will pump hundreds of thousands of dollars into something that isn't even breaking even, regardless of what a companies other holdings or operations may be doing.

Know it all.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

Glacier Media Inc. has sold its Vancouver Island Newspaper Group to Victoria-based Black Press.

Black Press takes operational control of that group on March 2. That includes Cowichan Valley Citizen, Nanaimo Daily News and Alberni Valley Times.

The sale does not include the Times Colonist.

Glacier has also sold the Surrey Now, Langley Advance and Maple Ridge Times and their related publications and digital properties to Black Press.

In turn, Glacier has purchased the Tri Cities News, Burnaby News Leader, Richmond Review and New Westminster News Leader and their related publications and digital properties.

“This transaction will strengthen the company’s community media business in the Lower Mainland,” Glacier said in a press release today.

Glacier takes operational control of its new papers on March 2.

http://www.timescolo...media-1.1686405

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users