Photo

2014 Winter Olympics

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Well there's $89 million in savings if the feds are serious about a place to save my tax dollars. Instead they cut funding to the Coast Guard and close down the "Centre of the Universe". 

• Bingo likes this

#62 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Actually the term is "has the potential to be a top 16 athlete". There are other programs available for funding but I agree that people are not becoming millionaires out of this.

To Mike's point I think that those athletes who receive grants and funding should be required to pay it back when they also have other endorsement or advertising deals. Although a US athlete and not a Canadian one, Ryan Locke (swimmer) makes over $2M a year in income from sponsorships as an example.

Not sure how much of a concern this really is. Men's hockey is not supported at all, which is the way it should be, as all the players already make 7 figures. I have no idea how much some of the others may make through sponsorships, I'd imagine some of those top curling players that get 18k like Howard don't need the money.

#63 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

This is wrong I was hoping it was ajoke but it appears to be genuine news.

http://action.sumofu...-whales/?sub=tw

#64 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

This is wrong I was hoping it was ajoke but it appears to be genuine news.

http://action.sumofu...-whales/?sub=tw

Horrible how badly the Russians are treating poor animals. I read something similar here ...

http://www.theprovin...7145/story.html

#65 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Oh Russia...

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Watched the first period of Canada's women's hockey game this morning with no commentary. Commentary started at the second period. Between periods the commentator said they were going to an interview with somebody, but that never happened. Oh well, Canada came up with 3 goals in the third to beat Finland 3-0.

We get spoiled with the quality of NHL coverage.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

We're leading the pack with 7 medals right now (3 gold; 3 silver; 1 bronze).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

We're leading the pack with 7 medals right now (3 gold; 3 silver; 1 bronze).

Good for us, nice to see Canada strong out of the gate. Depending on the source the forecast for Sochi was for us to win anywhere from 29-32 medals overall. I also like the fact that Canadian athletes these days seem to have jettisoned the old mantra of "golly gee whiz I'm just tickled pink to be here in a spirit of international cooperation and athletic brotherhood" etc ad infinitum. You'll remember those days when, although that sentiment may have made a nice sound bite on the news, it was also at a time when we would finish somewhere between "29th and infinity" in virtually any event, Summer or Winter Games - anywhere but near a podium essentially. Its nice to see Canada viewed as a favorite in many of these events now and to know that we stand a realistic chance of medalling.

#69 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

I also like the fact that Canadian athletes these days seem to have jettisoned the old mantra of "golly gee whiz I'm just tickled pink to be here in a spirit of international cooperation and athletic brotherhood" etc ad infinitum.

You mean the "winning isn't everything" thingy that we teach our kids?

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

I want to see footage of the games ...from a dashcam.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Sticky Wicket is opening at 9am for the men's games this week, Thursday, Friday and Sunday.   As of last week, unknown if they received permission to serve alcohol.

Podium Sports Grill will be open too, and they can accept minors.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#72 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I want to see footage of the games ...from a dashcam.

I'm surprised the Russian athletes don't all have helmet cameras ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#73 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

For those of you watching this on TV, how are you finding the coverage? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#74 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hating the times of course, lousy knowing the results usually before seeing the event, but that comes with the time difference naturally. Otherwise, it's okay coverage, but not near as good as 4 years ago.

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

I watched a fair bit on the weekend and I've actually been enjoying it. My interest in winter Olympics is typically not high.

#76 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

We have Optic TV and have 22 channels of CBC to choose from.

When there is a lot going on at once you can watch something different on each channel. One of the channels has CBC on demand where you can go back and look at different events from the previous days.

They have some pretty remarkable lenses that can get you right into the spinach between their teeth.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#77 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

I always get sucked into the Olympic stuff despite saying I'm not going to (being sick in bed/on the couch all weekend probably didn't help), but I think the coverage thus far has been great. I like how CBC covers the whole event (not just highlights of Americans like NBC).

The only real downsides have been Ron McLean and Steve Armitage...ugh.

#78 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

When there is a lot going on at once you can watch something different on each channel. One of the channels has CBC on demand where you can go back and look at different events from the previous days.

They have some pretty remarkable lenses that can get you right into the spinach between their teeth.

As do we, in fact the number of channel-options is almost a bit overwhelming

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

I always get sucked into

The only real downsides have been Ron McLean and Steve Armitage...ugh.

Mansbridge wasn't any better with his comments after the Opening Ceremony, but at least it wasn't Brian Williams.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Diana Swain. :thumbsup:

#80 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

I don't get this. Those channels all seemed blank to me other than a generic 'Sochi 2014' graphic excepting the main CBC channel 100. I'll have to check again tonight. That would improve my experience for sure (at least I do enjoy the curling they've been showing live at 9 pm).

Edited by lanforod, 11 February 2014 - 03:12 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users