Photo

House building - a rough cost estimate?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Flat lot, on a slight incline.  Suburban neighbourhood, with good road access.  City water/sewer.  Looking at ~ 10-12k sq ft.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for a calculator, or a rough rule-of-thumb for per Sqft cost, please?

Thanks!  

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

That's going to be quite a house, 12,000 sq. ft.

Depends what style of house you are going to build, rancher, two story, basement etc. and quality.

For a two story with a basement figure $150-$175, a rancher $200-$250.

That is based on my experience and I am sure there are others here that can provide more info.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Well, next door on one side is 12, and on the other is 10 with a recent addition of a 3 lane bowling alley in a separate out-building.

Gotta keep up with the Joneses...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Does the municipality have any bearing on construction costs?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Does the municipality have any bearing on construction costs?

Not much. Building permit costs are minuscule compared with construction costs, codes are provincial.

Three years ago for a 3400 square foot slab on grade with geothermal heat cost us $ 225 a square foot.

LJ's estimate is bang on.

When I look at the assessed value, new construction is a poor investment.

#6 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

That's a big house. I'd guess around $250/sq ft, assuming that with such a big house also comes a lot of premium expensive features.

It ain't gonna be a rancher at that size. Doesn't have to be the same size as the neighbours though - if you DO a rancher it can look nearly as big, as those big houses may include large finished basements.

3 million give or take.

New constructions means you get exactly what you want - that is such a huge intangible that its hard to value, especially for the luxury home market like this.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

12,000 sqft?  You sure you're not building a pretty nice 12 unit apartment building?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

You need to give me more info and what you are expecting for quality?  Outside finish, is it hardi, brick, cultured stone?  flooring - marble, tile, hardwood, engineered?  are the interior finishes high end with lots of crown moulding, wainscoting, etc?  what about the outside landscaping, is there lots of rockwork, fountains, pool? etc

Right now a range could be $150-500/sf, but I'll help you narrow that down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users