Photo

A plug for sealed underground lines

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Should we go from overhead to underground lines? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we go from overhead to underground lines?

1. No - I like the wires and poles in full view (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Yes - It is worth the cost (6 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

Hi all,

I am renovating our house in Gordon Head and had a whopper from Saanich council and hydro. To upgrade, and comply, with current code we will have to fork out $4000 for an underground electric line from a new hub on Grandview Drive to our house (around 600 metres down the road).

The hydro gang I talked to were quite open about this (as they were digging) - they are looking for new renos going in - hitting the owner with the costs, then using that line in splice hubs for future upgrades in other houses. It's a frigging scandal.

I do have to say the ones who have this already did not lose power in our area, while us peons went without for 2 days last week.

Question is - who should pay for the upgrades? I have no problem in paying for an underground line on my property, but feel Hydro and Saanich should cover the off property cost for upgrading and burying the line. It is over the top to insist I pay for being the 1st on the block.

#2 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

Wow, that's crazy! For existing homes, I believe Hydro should pick up the costs, and perhaps the Provincial Govt should kick in some cash as well to help bury lines, as it's in all our best interest.

All lines should eventually be underground. We had inlaws from Dublin visit us several years back, and they thought all the powerpoles and overhead wires was rather backwards and quaint.

If it's not covered by Hydro and the Province (which is eventually "us" anyways), what happens if several homeowners on a block opt out of covering the cost?

#3 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:09 PM

I think it was back in the seventys when B.C. hydro offered to pay for 75 percent of the cost of underground wiring. OakBay took up the offer that's why Oakbay has not power poles. In the City they decided only to do certain streets. They should have gone all out! But I voted yes it's worth the cost.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:47 AM

Can't there be a "No, too expensive" option?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:17 AM

^ There is. Solar power, gas generators, conservation. No one has to be on the grid.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

I totally disagree with having to pay for it beyond your property line. Other utilities such as water and sewer the municipality is responsible for the line up to your property line. Terasen is starting to do the same thing as hydro, they used to do the entire install for free but now they charge for a line extension if it's not already on your street plus what they install on your property. I can understand them charging for the line on your properrty but why should you have to pay for everyone on your street? I think this new policy is going to fail because fewer people are coming online and choosing to stay away from gas. They shoud be giving you the option of going underground otherwise they should allow you upgrade to 200 amp or whatever you are doing from the pole still sitting in front of your house. Good luck in your fight!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

^ But what about downtown?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Urbalist

Urbalist
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

Most utilities and municipalities have a latecomer agreement ... that is, you pay the costs to be the first but anyone who has an installation nearby or along the line within 5 or 10 years, pays you.

Otherwise, you pay it all and the utility doubledips by charging a variety of installation fees for the subsequents.

#9 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

^ But what about downtown?

He lives in Gordon Head.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users